xisto Community
bureX

Azureus (bit Torrent Client) Problem

Hi everybody!

I'm having some difficulties with my bit torrent client - Azureus.

When I download files (I usually download files larger than 400MB), the download stops at a random percentage (but usually at the second half of the file)!

1st issue: I was downloading a 700MB file, and by the time it got to 99.3%, the download speed hit zero. I was stuck in a "swarm" of other bit torrent clients that have also downloaded 99.3% of the file, and nothing is happening!!! I left it alone for about 4-5 hours, came back, and still 99.3%! I was so mad, I stopped the download and deleted the whole thing!

2nd issue (right now): I'm downloading a 1.3GB file, and currently, it's 73.6% done... Before that, the download speed was very satisfying! When the counter reached 76.1%, things got slower, and completely stopped at 73.6%! Now I'm praying for even a few bytes to download! :)

Like the 1st issue, I'm stuck in this "swarm" with other users that also have 73.6% downloaded, and nothing's happening so far!

Is there something that I can do to fix this problem? It's driving me nuts! The file that I am downloading is unusable until the download finishes completely!

Here's the screenshot of some of the peers from Azureus (as you can see, they are all stuck at 73.6% too):

Posted Image

when you download a torrent , you need to make sure that 100% of the file is available .. ie the file has seeds.there will be times that a file is not being seeded , but the peers connected to the download collectively have more than 100% of the file.when you start a download , look at download status bar , at the right hand side of this it shows the file availability .... that number needs to be greater than 1.you could start downloading a file that has more than 100% availability , but if seeds and peers drop off as you download , then you can have the same problem then.

I don't have very much experience with torrents, so bare with me here :)Azureus says that there are "0 seeds (69 in a swarm)", but my download progress is now 74.5% (slooooooooow). So, that means that someone is seeding this file from time to time, and then disconnects? Before I downloaded his file, the website that tracked that torrent showed me a 100% health status... I don't think it matters anymore ;)So, all that I can do right now is wait, right?PS: If I find the same file (that I am downloading right now) on another site as a torrent, can I resume it's download?Thanks for the reply!

I current use Isohunt.com for all of my torrents. One of their columns notes how many people have successfully downloaded the torrent. If this number is very low compared to the number of current downloaders, or is 0, you will not be able to finish the download. Many files as of late are fake torrents posted by companies such as HBO or Universal to stop illegal filesharing. Whether one agrees with this position or not, it is definently happening, and is mildily effective. A new thing is for companies to send bad data through bittorrent. Slashdot comments that

In addition to an older tactic of offering bogus downloads that never complete, HBO is now obstructing the downloads offered by other people

. You can read the full article here.. If you are interested in TV shows, I would recommend using Apples new downloading service that is 100% legal and can be placed on a new video iPod.

Just reconnected and resumed my download, and I am starting to receive pieces of the files, but when I checked out the peers in Azureus, everybody is at 77%! So, when I hit 77%, my download will probably stop too :)The file is downloading, but very, VERY slow... Guess there is nothing else to do but wait...BTW: Very interesting article!

yep thats all you can do is sit tight and let it finish...... it it will.i had a torrent that was at about 80% and all the other peers were the same and no seeds , but for some reason the torrent just kept slowly creeping up until it finished.i never noticed a seed rejoining , but i suppose they could have periodically joined and cut again without me noticing.with regard to the previous post about hbo sending out spoiler data for torrents , i can well imagine them doing that , its is similar to kazaa and other p2p providers were corrupt mp3 files were being put onto the system.i would have though with azureus that it would automatically block any ip addresses sending out bad data.you can see which ip have been blocked / banned by clicking on ips on the status bar in azureus.