xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Mithshark

Killer Flu oh...

The Killer Flu has surfaced. It is highly aggressive and once it infects a human it attacks the lungs and respiratory system with such vigor that the person contracts pneumonia and dies within a few days. The virus has not been able to become contagious from human to human yet, but a simple mutation with another flue virus in a person's or animal's body could easily change that. A best case scenario to the flu hitting the U.S. is at least one million dead. This killer flu, called the bird flu, first appeared in 1918 and claimed the lives of more than 100 million people worldwide. No vaccines are available for the bird flu, and while one is in development, it will only be made to vaccinate 20 million people. So, I guess the 270 million other people in the U.S. will be screwed. As of late, the flu has killed nearly 200 people, but has yet to reach the U.S. If it does manage to reach the U.S., which would only require a contagious strain of the virus and a traveling person from East Asia, then President Bush will temporarily shut down the constitution and enact Marshal Law, in which American soldiers will force people within their own homes for a given period of time as to keep the virus from spreading.

Links, courtesy of CNN.

Uno

Dos

Discuss.

Thanks mithshark, you have given me valuable information. I have been trying as hard as possible to follow this story. I like biology and as a chicken owner who free ranges, I like to be kept up to date. TamiFlu is the only medication that can save your life. Death from bird flu is usualy suffocation, when blood and fluid collects in the lungs. It is very dangerous, as noted. Pharmacies have already sold 7times as much as they usually sell in one whole year! And its only October. States have been stockpiling TamiFlu as well from what I hear.As you probably know, this bird flu spreads quickly, it went from turkey to Europe practically over night. Another problem we might face is the wide spread food shortages. Farmers all over will probably shut down and prices will skyrocket. Gas will be extrememly hard to get.I hope I could be of some encouragment :) No, the fact is, its not good. And no matter how people laugh at you, stock up at least 1-2 months of food, and be prepared. Its your best bet folks.

This flu virus sounds horrifying. Been hearing a lot about it on BBC news recently.It would be like the film of War of the Worlds, the living beings die not from bombs or anything like that, but from a flu virus.Still, it's best to not think about this and hope something can be done as soon as it is possible to do something.

I heard that it's spread Ukraine, so it's heading towards Europe. I haven't heard about human infections there though. Now that you mention it, it does remind of War of the Worlds. The worlds most powerful speies devasted by a simple virus. Good jobon spoiling the ending for those who haven't read it.

Yikes, maybe if we're lucky they will have created a vacine or treatment for this flu before it becomes a global pandemic. What is it with all the bad news these days? It seems as if the world is on a streak of bad luck.

There were some problem with the bird flu like a year or so ago. I just recently saw some stuff on tv. Pretty scary if it hits us. I guess i won't be having chickens for awhile then. Back to the mad cow dieases (beef). ahahah

I live in Serbia,the flu is getting closer and closer,the last affected country was Romania which is very close to my country,it is in main news,I meen the flu...Saddly,my country is still keeping down the panic because they believe that the flu wont come to our country,it is very sad to think like that,and very sad that people believe them(governement).We,I mean our country didn't try to get any medication,any mask or something...I think,that this will be very mass kill flu... :)

I live in Serbia too, and I agree with kitty. Our government didn't try to get any medications or vaccines, and I doubt we have to money for something like this. Also, masks that are made here, are not with nano-filters, and therefore, are pretty useless against this flu.I believe someone has gone too far with biowarfare tests (read USA), and now, all of us will pay the price. Or perhaps, this is a natures way of telling us "If you don't get your sh* together, I'll start over, and maybe now try with the fish instead."Hopefully, I will be able to post here in a few weeks :)

I've just heard on the news that there has been a confirmed case in Greece too. Galahad & Kitty- dont wory everywhere is not as prepared as they should be, here in Britain we have about enough for somethig like 14% of the population, so I hope it doesn't keep going. Anyway as it is you can still only catch it from birds, so if you see a flock of birds coming towards you run just to be sure, but seriously though I doubt theres a government on the planet with enough medication to cover even half, maybe even as low as a quater of the population, just goes to show you can never be too prepared. One thing that got me though I heard on the news that there is over demand on regular flu vacinations, which by the way dont help against this, but I suppose when people get into a panic theres very little reasoning.