xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kvarnerexpress

Dreamweaver Templates

Up until now I have never had a problem with Dreamweaver templates. I use a 2 layer nested table to control most of my site..The master template includes the website header and footer and master navigation bar..My nested templates include a context sensitive secondary navigration element.This templates allow me to change all aspects of the site rapidly.Recently, I have been adding multiple levels of site security using Coldfusion. This requires me to include some security directives in the header so my idea was to create a second editable region in the master template that was located in the <head> section.I added the region, which worked and then I added the various directives to each nested template.However, when I create a new page from a nested template the code in the <head> section remains editable - when in fact it should be uneditable - and worse still the code does not update when the template is altered.I know this sounds very long winded but I was wondering if anybody else has noticed problems incorporating editable regions into the <head> tage using Dreamweaver templates..kvarnerexpress

Just wondering, why are you using Dreamweaver templates in the first place if all you need to do is edit a couple of regions. Are the only one editing the files, or is someone else editing as well?? If you are the only one, I would suggest that you ditch the dreamweaver template idea and just use dreamweaver's powerful features to edit the files...I tried DW templates and absolutely despise them now because they gave me so much trouble. Again, I suggest that you ditch the templates...but that's just me.Good luck.

I also had troubles with head section and dreamweaver templates. The problem was that head was not editable, but sometimes you could actually add a style by the graphic way, but if you tried to edit it from the code, it said a message something like:"The region you are trying to edit is a dreamweaver templates instance which is not editable. All changes will be omited"Or something like that, and it is very annoying. Its not the only problem ive had with it, most of my problems, in fact are something related to this... there are parts or regions that i do want to edit but dreamweaver wont let me. I know that i may be doing something wrong or with further reading i shall understand what is it, but i better dont do so.I was never really interested in templates (dremweaver at least), but as i started working on a site thats based on them, i had to get a little bit into it, and i dislike it.Now that a new version of the portal is going to come out, i will get rid of all this, and i will use only includes from php, wich i find my self easier and its also a cross-platform way of working, you wont need to use always the macromedia product to edit your 'templates', you can use free software to edit. Or you might be always with macromedia, but the people whos going to continue working with your site may not, so...Well its also my personal opinion, ther may be people who work fine with them, but i suggest also to avoid templates and work with server side includes.There was also a topic i started earlier in this "html, xml, etc" forum, about dreamweaver templates versus php includes, i just wanted to see the general opinion becouse i was kinda getting tired from it, and i think most people agree with this.Hope this helps you...