xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
sujith

Apple Finally Unveils Video Ipod Apple Finally Unveils Video iPod

t's official. At an event in San Jose Wednesday, Apple ended months of speculation by introducing the first video-enabled iPod, moving the company into the portable media center space.
"Yes, it does video," Apple CEO Steve Jobs said in his keynote address as the audience erupted in applause.

The new iPod sports a 2.5-inch TFT display in a design similar to the iPod Nano. The 320x240 pixel display supports only 260,000 colors, but the iPod does include a video-out jack for hooking up to a TV. Real-time decoding of MPEG-4 and H.264 video content is supported.

The new iPod will come in sizes of 30 and 60GB, with retail prices of $299 and $399, in line with prices of the previous models, although with more capacity. Apple, noticing the high demand for its black iPod Nano, will also make the new model available in that color as well.

Both models are thinner than the current 20GB iPod.

Two new ads will help promote the iPod, including one starring U2 and another with Eminem, who incidentally just settled a lawsuit with Apple over using one of the rap artist's songs in a recent iPod commercial without authorization.

Also, likely in an effort to prevent future public relations problems like that of the Nano and its scratching issue, Apple will include a protective case with every new iPod.

hi,yeah, Apple has been always tuning its strategy.. It unvield the new Video Ipod and priced it at $299, the same as earlier Color Ipod 20GB but with a difference.It added 10 GB to the earlier 20GB and did away with AC adapter that was a standard accessory with the earlier Ipod. Now u need to shell out an extra 30$ for the AC Adapter.I feel it should have continued the earlier range of 20GB Ipod and reduced the price a little. Now u either have 4GB or 30 GB, nothing to go between them... On the other hand it would be truly nice to have Ipod play the video. I have been planning to get one for myself too.. but now thinking whether to shell out 30$ extra or to do with charging through my computer...Another thing is that they have added Black color too...Also the U2 special edition seems to have been discontinued... that might be bad news for the U2 fans...Cheers.

That's great news! Finally, I have something I'm gonna look forward to! I'm actually more fond of watching than listening to music, so being able to watch a video will be a plus, since my PPC broke, and I can't watch stuff anymore. :) Anyway, having the U2 Edition discontinued is a bit sad, since my friend was really looking forward to it. Ah well, guess it's business! ;)

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Edited as reported.
Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)

why s that so special :)

there have been MP4 players out for sale for ages. . . ones with a better screen a better features. . . .

http://www.archos.com/products/av_700/features.html

(theres plenty to choose from ranging from 20gb to 100gb!)

plus it looks gooooood

Posted Image

but well done for apple. . . . another over priced fashion "must have" accessory ;)

I check out that link..
No one is saying that such devices are not available.. And what you call overpriced is not so much I suppose...
coz.. for the one you pointed out.. 40GB version costs 600 Euro which is over 700$ as far as I calculated from a site at todays exchange rate.

while the Ipod is for 299$..
yeah, the screen is bigger at 7", you can play games, but the number of formats supported by Ipod are more than Archos.
Archos details for 40GB, 600 Euro model.

Record directly from your TV, VCR, DVD player, cable & satellite box Watch on the go on the 7" colour screen Enjoy 40GB to store 160 hours of video or 100 movies DVD quality playback on TV Easy docking to TV & one-time set-up Photo wallet: transfer photos directly from your digital camera. View on TV Play MPEG-4 files High speed USB 2.0 connection to PC Auto-sync with Windows Media PlayerŽ 10, play WMV & protected WMV files

So I still find Ipod better as compared to others on cost/value equation.

Cheers.

Not at all interested in this video enabled iPod. Everything plays video now. PSP plays video, my pocket PC plays video, CLIE plays video, Symbian phone plays video and even a portable digital wallet plays MPEG-4 videos now. There is absolutely nothing special with this gadget. What I hate with these players is that you have to convert your video, which is normally on DVD, to their format, a process painstakingly slow and not always rewarding. It normally takes 2 hours or something to rip a DVD and why watch that on a 7 inch screen after all this hard work? Apple?s H264 is even worst. Quicktime Pro?s H264 has the slowest video conversion, probably even slower then MPEG-2 compression. The DVD plugin has to be purchased separately too. Wonder if it is the default format with iPod Video.

Another long endless debate. Why anyone could be bothered watching something on such a small screen anyway, i got no idea. Stick with a laptop. hehe.Prices also go up, ad prices may go down. Todays society just likes to look 'cool' not only by looks, but also by 'i spent more'. Its a style lik clothing i guess. There are already jeans out there, but people want change and up to date style.

Although the new video-enabled iPod looks like it will be a hit, I can't really see myself watching videos on it for an extended period of time, whether it be on a plane or at home. I'll stick with watching movies, videos, etc. on the PC. I currently have the iPod shuffle, and it's pretty much all I need....although I could be suaded to "upgrade" to the nano.