xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Cain

Purchasing A New Car Give Your Opinions...

Hey, guys. Well, recently, my grandmother's car had some sort of problem which caused her car to smoke and die (among other things), but we have yet to hear whether or not it can easily be fixed. If her car cannot be fixed; she will most likely get my car. I currently have a 2002 Toyota Avalon XLS that is silver. I really like this car and have never had a single problem with it. Well, the problem now is that I might be losing the car, however, we will most likely be getting a new one to replace it.

So naturally, I have begun searching for different cars hoping that I find a good replacement. So far, my favorite choice is the 2006 Toyota Avalon XLS. The Avalon Limited seems to be a bit too luxurious for what I need. My only problem with the new model is that it looks more "boaty" if you get what I mean. The back seems to be much larger than it used to be, even though it looks pretty cool. My main concern is that I'm still able to get the gas mileage I had with the previous model (which I'm sure is the same if not better) and that this puppy can accelerate (let's face it, I like going fast and love being able to go fast faster :) ). The old model had excellent acceleration even after all the abuse.

But anyways, I'm asking for your opinions. If you know of a car that is compareable to the 2002 Toyota Avalon. I know I've seen some of the Lexus cars (which is made by Toyota) and have taken a liking to some of the models when they have spoilers, but I doubt my parents will be looking in that price range, at least not for me.

By the way, here are pictures of both Toyotas.

2002 Toyota Avalon XLS

2006 Toyota Avalon

I think the Lexus that I saw was the Lexus IS - 5 Speed; here are some photos.

Lexus IS 5 - Speed

Thank you for your input.

Yeah, my main reason for looking at the Toyota is that I've had such an excellent run with my this 2002 Toyota. My reason for looking at the Lexus IS is simply because I saw it on the road and thought it looked mighty fine.The base price for the Lexus IS is roughly $30,280 according to the site.The base price for the 2006 Toyota Avalon XLS is roughly $31,075.So as it turns out, the Avalon is a bit more expensive, but from looking at the pictures, it is considerably larger and more comfortable while the Lexus IS is more sporty. Me and my father are fairly tall so comfort can be a big issue (at least for him). I might be willing to sacrifice a bit of comfort for looks. But we'll see.But no, I'm not just limiting myself to the Toyota Avalon XLS and the Lexus IS; I simply named them because those are the ones I am more familiar with and the ones that I have been looking at recently. I would gladly hear any suggestions, though.

Darn i wished my parents would spend $30,000 on a car for me. Personally, it depends what you need it for. I for one own a 2003 Chevy Cavalier and i havent had a problem with the car and i love it. Plus, it was only like $11,000 new. However, if they will spend 30 grand on a car for you i would recommend the new Pontiac Solstice since for one it is a convertable and it looks amazing. Way better than the Avalon XLS.

personally ... living in uk .... i could not and would not spend 30K on a car.that is because cars are the biggest waste of money that i know of.my reasoning behind this is that people who own expensive cars only talk about engine size , brake horse power , alloy wheels , abs , aircon , etc , etc .but at the end of the day you take your average useage of a car and 99.9% of it is sat on your driveway , on a carpark , in your garage , on a multi-storey , outside walmart , ie parked up .... doing nothing.from a point of value for money .... you spend 30k and get 0.1% of usage ... do the math !!!!!!but i suppose they look good and it gives you something to brag about .... wow.

Well, my parents will be using the car too, fffanatics, that's why they're willing to spend a bit more. They'll probably end up using it more than I do (aside from driving to and from school). Although I love the idea of a convertible, it wouldn't really be practical as a year-round car here in Chicago, because the cold will go right through the rag top, but believe me, I'd love a convertible.

Niloc, I understand your perspective. My brother is currently studying in London and will be there for the rest of the year. He never fails to remind us that driving would be awful and how the Tube is the best way to go and how it is so much better than the transportation systems we have here. However, my school is about 10 or 15 miles away from my home and I cannot take the bus because I often go to school early for help or stay late for different activities, so it wouldn't make sense to bother my parents or friends for rides each and every day. Just to clear something up and I'm sure you didn't exactly mean it this way, but I'm not the type of person that talks about engine size or horsepower. To be completely honest, I can't, I don't really know what they mean. I only really look at the miles per gallon and how the overall appearance of the car is. I personally hate crazy rims; they totally wreck most cars. As for the price of the cars, I agree they're a bit up there; I certainly can't afford them. However, you have to understand that my parents would be using the cars just as much as I would if not more than I would, and they need a decent looking car for work that is also comfortable for themselves. I hope this puts the price in perspective for you, because I'm not a braggart and don't want others to think of me as one.

Anyways, thank you for your suggestions so far - keep 'em coming!

Well, my parents will be using the car too, fffanatics, that's why they're willing to spend a bit more.  They'll probably end up using it more than I do (aside from driving to and from school).  Although I love the idea of a convertible, it wouldn't really be practical as a year-round car here in Chicago, because the cold will go right through the rag top, but believe me, I'd love a convertible.

Niloc, I understand your perspective.  My brother is currently studying in London and will be there for the rest of the year.  He never fails to remind us that driving would be awful and how the Tube is the best way to go and how it is so much better than the transportation systems we have here.  However, my school is about 10 or 15 miles away from my home and I cannot take the bus because I often go to school early for help or stay late for different activities, so it wouldn't make sense to bother my parents or friends for rides each and every day.  Just to clear something up and I'm sure you didn't exactly mean it this way, but I'm not the type of person that talks about engine size or horsepower.  To be completely honest, I can't, I don't really know what they mean.  I only really look at the miles per gallon and how the overall appearance of the car is.  I personally hate crazy rims; they totally wreck most cars.  As for the price of the cars, I agree they're a bit up there; I certainly can't afford them.  However, you have to understand that my parents would be using the cars just as much as I would if not more than I would, and they need a decent looking car for work that is also comfortable for themselves.  I hope this puts the price in perspective for you, because I'm not a braggart and don't want others to think of me as one.

Anyways, thank you for your suggestions so far - keep 'em coming!

194547[/snapback]

I wasnt having a dig at you personally ..... i was having a go at expensive cars that are just sat on carparks while their owners brag to their mates how good their car is.

no offence intended.

I own two Nissan's personaly. My '05 Altima is only a 4cylinder. It's been totally reliable and gets awesome mileage. The interior is huge, and the upgrades are awesome. If you like power and great mileage, look @ the V-6, it still gets like 30 on the high way. You can upgrade to built in xm-radio, satellite navigation and custome rims for under 30k. I enjooyed the car so much, I bought myself a Pathfinder for my second car, wish I would have gotton the 4-door Titan though. Good luck finding something that works and looks good.

hmm ... purchasing a new car ... that would be a great thing to do ... but there are a lot of things to do before purchasing a new car .... insurance ... bank loan ... and you gotta wait for a period before getting your own new car ... but the time is worth it ... good luck to you ... i've been always dreaming of having my own car ...

I'd probably go for the Lexus - it looks really slick and sporty, but that's just me. I think it all comes down to which car you feel most comfortable driving in - and looks good, to boot.