xisto Community
Mithshark

Idiots And There Spyware

Why do people download all this garbage?!From search bars to computer pals, cursor software to password remembering software, screensavers and so on without any care of what ALL they're download?Are people still so stupid they click on the advertisements for free cars and boats?You'd think with all the computers that people would know how to use a spyware destroyer or at least not download so much stupid junk.What would be the best sollution? commercials? or should we just mass spam like aol with their cupholders/cds? Any Opinions?

Its because people are idiots, they are too concerned about what their pc looks like rather than how it operates, the plain fact is that everyone tinks those pree ipod things are real and that they will get one by entering, but instead they take your email and send you adverts for more crap with more spyware.

Indeed, we download much spyware. I'm not going in to any pop-up or something, but some spyware you just can't block.....You can prevent getting spyware by not going to some sites...you can think of the most yourself i think.... Do never go in on some banner or something, that says stupid things.. Have a good blocker. Like ad-aware or something. And scan you computer once a week or something.

I think the big reason why people download spyware is a lack of education. People just don't realize what they are downloading onto their computers. I have had alot of friends call me over to help do something on the computer. While doing this I have noticed that many people have alot of spyware software installed onto their computer. When I point it out to them they always say that they didn't know that the program contained spyware. I explain to them the type of things to look out for and usually when I come over the next time they have signifcantly less malicious software installed if any at all.

You ask why people are so bumb as to install spyware, well tell me if you were walking down the street and saw a 100 dollar bill laying on the sidewalk, would you pick it up? Now what if I told you that same Bill was laced with a powerful nerve toxin. Withen several seconds of touching it your skin would start to grow legions and swell, within several minutes your throat would swell and you would sufficate. Now tell me why you picked up that 100 dollars. Probably because you wanted it. So why would you download a desktop buddy? Because you want it, and just like that 100 dollar bill there was no sign anything was wrong.

People just dont know how harmful some of those things are..and they really dont know that they get spyware and such from clicking links like that and those phony "You've won Blah blah" and on top of that alot of spyware is unnoticable to people like that. Like Arigato said its lack of education.

Of course, these days you have to be careful of what you download. If it seems to good to be true, it probably is...and probably may affect how your PC operates. I never click any pop-up/banner ads, and I do as much research on a product I may need - not so much for how my computer looks but how it will make it operate more efficiently. As someone pointed out earlier, there are many people out there who don't realize that they've downloaded spyware/adware - since it can be hidden within the program itself.

Heh, I have learned to go farther than the to good to be true thing... if its a bad deal its to good to be true.......Thats why trap blew me away... =p Servers (in my short run tests) arnt even laggy ;p

This esplains why there are so many ads & popups. People don't click em, so they just make more. BUt seriously, why would people click on such ads? When it comes to downloading spyware and stuff, I don't download a lot of suff lately, but really, what's the fuss? Oh gee I've got spyware, what's it gona do to me. Track what sites I go to? Personally I don't care, it'll go bye-bye in my once in a while scan. People are being paranoid. Sure, you may get an extra pop up once in a whle, but whats the problem with moving your mouse to the close button?

Yeah i know how this goes... ive clicked a few havnt done anything to my computer... (i also take care of my computer lol i have scaners going 24/7 that auto find *BLEEP* the second it touches the computer and quaritines it...But yeah ads eveywhere suck... i say place ads in hard to see places and or make sure they are free of anything... like that...Also companies should find a way to make ads less hey we want you but we are going to spam your *bottom* to make u get it... it dosnt work...If a person sees it a few times like say 3 or so they are more willing to get w/e unlike say having it spamed into your face say 1000 times....I myself have tuned out most ads yeah i see the madden nfl for xbox ad while im posting but i dont care to read anymore than that and its also nice and small not very big and anoying...

it's hard because now a day, they even have spyware in Aol instant messenger. Like the wild tangle or something that aol will ask you if you want to install it (while installing aim and it is needed to play games). My anti -spyware (ad aware) detected it as a spyware.I keep myself safe from spyware by never ENTER any sensitive information over the internet.

Wild tangent has talked to these companies and the fact it has auto updating like WIn XP autoupdate is why but ya the even do them in flash or ways that are mad to stick out FLash lags most people computers liek a mofo i mean come on

gmt.exe  Gator Adware  7.8%  7.5%  7.5%  8.0%  8.4%  7.9%cmesys.exe  Gator Adware  7.8%  7.5%  7.5%  8.0%  8.4%  7.8%
dw.exe  Downloadware  4.6%  4.8%  5.0%  5.5%  5.5%  5.1%
savenow.exe  Save Now  5.8%  5.0%  4.9%  5.1%  5.0%  3.9%
pgmonitr.exe  Promulgate  2.1%  2.9%  3.7%  4.1%  4.1%  4.0%
precis~1.exe  Gator Adware  3.2%  3.1%  3.3%  3.7%  4.1%  3.9%
datema~1.exe  Gator Adware  1.4%  1.1%  1.1%  1.0%  0.9%  0.8%
hbsrv.exe  Hot Bar  1.4%  1.5%  1.7%  1.8%  1.7%  1.6%
hbinst.exe  Hot Bar  1.5%  1.4%  1.6%  1.8%  1.7%  1.5%
save.exe  Save Now  0.1%  0.9%  1.2%  1.5%  1.7%  1.8%
gator.exe  Gator Adware  1.4%  1.1%  1.1%  1.0%  0.9%  0.8%
msbb.exe  Web 3000  0.6%  0.8%  0.9%  1.0%  1.0%  1.1%

Thats the attach rate of spyware if you look at it thats how likely it is to get it "hackers" waste so much of there life deveolping this stuff to have it blocked... Do you think people would watch TV's having 15min of commercials on all stations at the same time that could potentaily damage the TV? NO some might but not most people. Most would turn it off and/or turn it off till the sow came back on although i Think it is just a matter of time Before digital have commercials pause whats on when you change channels and having ads follow you I myself Wont click ANYTHING that in a add anymore i may take notice of the site its in and visit later but I click NONE. do a google search about setting active X controls more securly and instead of using Admin. on win xp (or limited) Use power user so u can still install without the adware or spyware gaining your permissions.