xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Mithshark

Nintendo Revoloution bad huh?

Posted Image

The Nintendo Revolution as shown at E³ 2005. Nintendo announced that this is just a prototype, and as small as it is, the final console will be even smaller.

Source

Nintendo Revolution is the codename for Nintendo's fifth video game console and the successor to the Nintendo GameCube. The system was unveiled at Nintendo's 2005 E³ press conference, and while a release date has not been confirmed, it is expected to be released sometime during 2006.

Nintendo has been coy with the release of information regarding the Revolution, leaving some media outlets with the idea that Nintendo may not be prepared to compete with Microsoft and Sony. Top executives at the company deny this and insist that they are simply protecting their ideas, designs, and intellectual property from imitation by competitors before the system is released. Prior innovations (such as the inclusion of an analog stick as standard, wireless controller technology, and force feedback devices for controllers) have been widely disseminated following their mainstream arrival on Nintendo's machines.

Confirmed hardware and technology

Nintendo has announced that IBM has been working with the development of the CPU, codenamed "Broadway." IBM was previously involved with the development of the processor in Nintendo's current system, GameCube. Nintendo has also announced that Canadian graphics card maker ATI Technologies is involved with the GPU, which is codenamed "Hollywood". Before the GameCube's release, ATI had bought ArtX, the company responsible for the GameCube's GPU and whose members were made of former Silicon Graphics employees involved with the Nintendo 64. Nintendo president Satoru Iwata also announced that the Revolution will be backward compatible with GameCube games and have built-in Wi-Fi for online playing, provided by Broadcom Corporation. Nintendo has announced they will provide an optional PC-compatible wireless router for use by consumers that do not already have access to a wireless connection. The accessory is reportedly compatible with both the Nintendo DS and Revolution. While no ethernet port is planned, Nintendo has suggested ethernet may be possible for the system with USB via an adaptor. MoSys, whose 1T-SRAM memory technology was used in the GameCube, will again provide the same technology for Revolution.

Nintendo has gone on record as stating that the Revolution will use standard DVD as its medium, and the Nihon Keizai Shimbun newspaper has added onto this specification by stating that the system will employ 12 cm optical discs. Nintendo later removed these claims from official press releases and hinted that they might utilize the new Blu-Ray or HD DVD technologies which Sony and Microsoft (through a planned upgrade) will employ in their next generation consoles. Nintendo would not be specific when asked about which format would be used, but confirmed around eight gigabytes of data would be the approximate capacity of a Revolution DVD. The Revolution will accept both Revolution and GameCube disks, a first for slot loading drives. It will also have the ability to play DVD movies with an "internal add-on". While all Nintendo consoles to date have expansion serial ports, none have been announced for Revolution. Other information states that Revolution will be able to hook up to a computer monitor as well as a TV. However, Nintendo has confirmed that at this point in time, they are not supporting HDTV output for the Revolution, however, 480p will be standard. This may mean that the system will be unable to output HDTV at all, or it may mean that HDTV support will be at the developer's discretion.

Nintendo also has said the console will be "sleek", approximately the thickness of three DVD cases, and stand both horizontally and vertically, considerably thinner than the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3. This new industrial design will also address remarks regarding the Gamecube and its "toyish" look which some have complained does not fit in amongst most home entertainment components.

Features

Nintendo has been working to make it clear that it wishes for its new console to provide more than simply better graphics over its predecessor. It is still not yet known how they will achieve this, but it is speculated and believed that it may provide new methods of interaction through its controller which has yet to be unveiled.

Some online argument ensued when Nintendo of America's Vice President of Corporate Affairs, Perrin Kaplan, announced there would be no HD support for their upcoming system. Kaplan stated beautiful graphics and innovative gameplay could be achieved without HD and that abstaining from the technology would help keep the cost of games down. In reaction, major Internet based magazines like IGN.com organized letter writing campaigns to protest against Nintendo regarding the decision and urging consumers to take action . A website called 1080up.org was also formed specifically for lobbying Nintendo to include the feature.

Backward compatibility

The Nintendo Revolution has reportedly been designed to be compatible with Nintendo GameCube software and most peripherals. Standing vertically, the top of Revolution has four GameCube controller ports that will allow the system to be compatible with the original controllers, Nintendo's wireless Wavebird controller, the DK Bongos, the Nintendo GameCube Game Boy Advance cable, and the Dance Dance Revolution Mario Mix dance pads. It also features two memory card slots that should be fully compatible with all generations of GameCube memory cards ("Memory Card 59", "Memory Card 251", and "Memory Card 1019") and the Nintendo GameCube Microphone. The Nintendo Revolution is designed to accept Nintendo GameCube discs through the same slot-loading disc drive that will accept Revolution game discs and DVD movies. However, it is unclear if it will have the high-speed port required for use with the Game Boy Player accessory.

Virtual console

Nintendo has announced that Revolution will have the ability to play all the Nintendo-produced Nintendo 64, SNES/Super Famicom, and Nintendo Entertainment System/Famicom games; the software may be recompiled or emulated but will be offered via the Nintendo online download service. Satoru Iwata refers to this feature as the "Virtual Console". According to a Japanese press release, "all downloaded games will be stored on the 512 flash memory built into the system." To prevent illegal copying, downloaded games will feature a proprietary DRM system.

Nintendo announced that the downloadable games may be redesigned. It was also said that although the gameplay would stay the same, it would be possible "that with Revolution, we may be able to see the old games with new looks." Some 3D games may "look sharper when played on Revolution."  If the technical aspects of Revolution also go well, "[Nintendo is] discussing the possibility of having older games like Mario Party playable online."

Although no specifics have yet been released, there will be fees associated with the "virtual console" feature. Nintendo has suggested that they may give some of the downloadable games away with Nintendo products or through other special offers. It is also unknown what specific titles will be available or whether other third-party developers may release their older games for the Revolution, although it has been said that Nintendo is in talks with these deveopers for this purpose. Yuji Naka, the designer of Sonic the Hedgehog at Sega, said in an interview with Famitsu, "It's also great that we'll be able to play Famicom and other games via download. I hope Sega games will be playable as well." Currently, Nintendo could release more than 200 potential titles.

Some see Nintendo trying to pattern the most successful strategy used by the music industry against illegal music downloads. Since computers have been powerful enough to emulate past-generation home consoles and the Internet provided an easy, fast, and widely accessible distribution path for ROM images (a file which contains the data for a game which can then be played via an emulator), illegal ROM downloading has been common among a segment of fans of old games. The music industry's most successful method of reducing illegal music downloading has apparently been to offer consumers a way to download music legally for a small cost. If Nintendo is successful at utilizing this model, they may be able to reduce illegal ROM downloading and open up a new revenue stream. This backward-compatibility feature also stands as a new unique selling point against the Revolution's competitors.

Posted Image

I think this is Nintendos first chance at the real market seeing as its supposed do have been making new agreements with nVidia! =[) it sounds to me like I might actually buy one. =p

I've wanted a NRV (Nintendo Revoultion) Since the very first day info leaked about it. After all the leak of the new controller, I loved it, and it sounds better every day. I really hope what they said was true about 3rd parties wanted to make games for NRV.

This new industrial design will also address remarks regarding the Gamecube and its "toyish" look which some have complained does not fit in amongst most home entertainment components.

Toy-ish? I thought it was fine, I mean the controllers looked a bit more kiddy-ish (Big green button, smaller red button and a bright yellow C stick.) BUt the Console looked fine to me.

I think, that the firm was late a little. Windows let out the console to Christmas. They the next year. Interestingly, what console will buy more. Windows and so have received a significant share of it to the market - where more

I think that the Nintendo Revoultion will do a nice job against the two others. The control has brought in more fans, and let others drift away. I don't know much about hardware and the sort, but NVR looks just about the same as any other one--not better nor worse. The only thing that seperates them now is the Nintendo Control and the rather not-so-good starting off games. I'll buy later--once there are more games for it and the price has lowered. Until then, I'll just stick to my older systems.

I've wanted a NRV (Nintendo Revoultion) Since the very first day info leaked about it. After all the leak of the new controller, I loved it, and it sounds better every day. I really hope what they said was true about 3rd parties wanted to make games for NRV.

Toy-ish? I thought it was fine, I mean the controllers looked a bit more kiddy-ish (Big green button, smaller red button and a bright yellow C stick.) BUt the Console looked fine to me.

193879[/snapback]

So what about the Xbox 360 releasing first? The Xbox came at after last time, and they caught up with sales. Plus Nintendo said they are releasing it at this time in relation to the Xbox. If they release it this late, less wealthier people will have time to gather up enough money to buy this console if they bought others. All Nintendo has to do, is have really cool stuff happening, features no one has seen. Maybe people will think it is good enough to buy and Nintendo's console can catch up with sales like the Xbox did.