xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
leiaah

Help With Network Topology

Hello. I have a school requirement in my data communications subject and I'm currently lost. It?s supposed to be a client-server model proposal for a hospital here in my city. I?m clueless with regards to computer networks and the hardware specs required for it. I have tried reading books about it but I?m still not quite sure about the PROPER network TOPOLOGY to be used in the kind of set up the hospital has. I don?t know any network administrators besides my teachers so I was hoping to come across with a few here. I just need OPINIONS regarding the kind of ARCHITECTURE and TOPOLOGY to be used and maybe the HARDWARE required (hubs, switches, servers?!). I have a centralized DATABASE in mind but I?m not closing on a distributed database yet. It?s all just a blur right now.

I don?t want people to think I?m letting people do my project but I really, really need someone to teach me HOW TO START with it because I?m really stuck. I?ve learned to use AutoCADD already and I?ve started with the floor layout and the first few paper works but until I get pass the TOPOLOGY, I can?t move forward to the budgetting and implementation plans.

If anyone here knows anything about what I?m talking about please, please help me out. It?s only a few computers, all currently stand-alone and there?s no network set up yet. Please post if you have questions so I can clarify things.

Please help me out! Thanks in advance to those who will.

Here?s a picture of the layout.

Posted Image

Hello.  I have a school requirement in my data communications subject and I'm currently lost.  It’s supposed to be a client-server model proposal for a hospital here in my city.  I’m clueless with regards to computer networks and the hardware specs required for it.  I have tried reading books about it but I’m still not quite sure about the PROPER network TOPOLOGY to be used in the kind of set up the hospital has.  I don’t know any network administrators besides my teachers so I was hoping to come across with a few here.  I just need OPINIONS regarding the kind of ARCHITECTURE and TOPOLOGY to be used and maybe the HARDWARE required (hubs, switches, servers?!).  I have a centralized DATABASE in mind but I’m not closing on a distributed database yet.  It’s all just a blur right now.

I don’t want people to think I’m letting people do my project but I really, really need someone to teach me HOW TO START with it because I’m really stuck.  I’ve learned to use AutoCADD already and I’ve started with the floor layout and the first few paper works but until I get pass the TOPOLOGY, I can’t move forward to the budgetting and implementation plans.   

If anyone here knows anything about what I’m talking about please, please help me out.  It’s only a few computers, all currently stand-alone and there’s no network set up yet.  Please post if you have questions so I can clarify things. 

Please help me out!  Thanks in advance to those who will.

Here’s a picture of the layout. 

Posted Image

193555[/snapback]

Im not sure what exactly you want here, do you want to overlay the workings of a network on this picture? I guess you will have to decide what kind of network you want. peer to peer? client/server?

Then you have to decide what the best topology would be for this particular setup.

I think If I remember right there are a few types of networks.

Token Ring network

I dont remember the rest but if you get a "network+" book you should have no problem with topology. :);)B):(:(B):);)

Xadoflitan

Im not sure what exactly you want here, do you want to overlay the workings of a network on this picture? I guess you will have to decide what kind of network you want. peer to peer? client/server?

What's required is a client-server model. The computers in the Admin and Billing room will share a centralized server but the Nurses' stations, Pharmacy and Information desk will only have limited access to the server.

Firstly remember KISS - keep it simple stupid - you don't need anything fancy here and the software is genuinly free. A basic server with redundant storage and power supply i.e. a simply RAID storage system to preserve data and operations should one drive fail and a second power supply for the same reasons.The server should run on Linux - Red Hat basic would more than suffice and is one of the oldest and most trusted distributions - no need for the paid for version either. Run on Ethernet TCP/IP with switches in the main departments and one distributed i.e. one switch to connect the nurses stations. The switches should have an uplink port included - KISS again - The server should be set for DHCP so the clients recieve their IP addresses automatically.The main for you here is to calculate the cable runs which you can only do from a physical survey of the site. ALways remeber that cables should run in straight lines only, not diagonal short cuts, and rememebr to include the distances travelled up and down walls.......The software is also free, either check sourceforge or google for 'free hospital software linux' there are some very good all incompasing packages out there if you do your home work.Your network diagram comes from the above and your site survey.Hope this gets you started.....