xisto Community
Hiaito

What Is Life? Stumped?

I just found something to stump you. I mean....think. Think good, no search engine will answer this, you have to answer it.

Think about it.

What is life as we know it?

:huh:

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
I'm assuming you didn't read the description for What Is...? section. You must define the term or idea instead of asking a rhetorical question. Moving to Life Talk. This is your last friendly warning note.
Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)

From what i learned in biology class, in order for something to be living, it has to maintain homeostasis, grow, evolve, repair tissues, responding to stimuli, reproduce, and some other things. Thats life, but thats a debate if viruses are living or not.

I don't really know what life is. To define a person if he or she is living, you would probably say having the ability to feel and think, but what is it that enable us feel or think?. As you all know, your brain is basiclly what make you who you are. Brains are made up of cells and cells cannot think on its own. So really, what are we?

life as we know it is our physical existance. i agree with DogEater008 when he says that life has got something to do with feeling and thinking, but i think it's a little more than that. I think that life as we (human beings) know it has something to do with our free will, our ability to deny our instincts. I definately think that there is a spiritual element as well.

that could be because i'm a Christian or maybe just because i think it's obvious... i think it can become evident in our need for love and acceptance especially, and our need to focus on something as the centre of our lives (for some it's God, for others it's money, sex or other people). Phillip Yancey (Author) described it as "the catch to being human is that we need to worship something".

Life is the way that we choose to live out that need. It's what we do now, it's the emotions running through our heads, it's the concepts running through our minds and souls that contradict those emotions.

wow. that was kinda confusing.... ok yep i'm definately thinking about it now. :huh:

From GCSE basic biology, life is when an organism is capable of looking after itself and doing the following.movingrespiringsensitive - being able to respond to changes in its habitat.growreproduceExcretionNutritionIf something has all these characteristics, then it can be classed as having a 'life'.This is the simplest definition direct from English GCSE (see, you do learn stuff in school :huh:)You could say i've got a life!

I would seriously recommend reading Sophie's World . A book that answers - in my opinion - this sort of question better than anyone can over a single forum post (sorry, no offence...).

It's not really just about a particular book, it's just that if you want to take a philosophical question seriously, then that's beyond the scope of a forum - you will need to break your head over it repeatedly, spend a few sleepless nights, etc, etc, before you can even hope coming anywhere close to an answer.

Technically speaking, I second sportytalk's reply. That's life for you :P

Semantically, Life is the absence of death and Death is the absence of life. I'll let you figure it from there.ps: I keep telling people that using forums on the 'net IS a life, but... they don't believe me...

I guess the old saying, 'Life is what you make it' would apply. Life could mean differents thing to different people, depending on how you are. For some, it could be the bilogical aspects, for others, the emotions, having a life with friends.

I pondered about this topic title and here is what I think. There's a statement What Is Alive or what is Life. What Is Alive--this to me asks the fundamental question of what is categorized or can be categorized as a live being or thing. It's a logical and rational part of our brain defining what constitutes as animate or inanimate object.What Is Life--this is more philosophical question and rhetorical at best. It's the quality of life that one can live. The standard phrases like, "get a life" or "you need life" states that life is filled with plentiful experiences and multiple subjects that a person can go through. And because it is a person depended out come, the answer to What Is Life can only define by oneself. You may have a life of working in the mine tunnel for the rest of your days but if that feeds your family, and send kids through education that is a good life. When you have all the resources in the world yet you rather sit by a pool and watch the time pass you by, then that may be a life wasted.

Ah, life. A very interesting topic, however, I will tell you what I think.Life:Life is, being happy, first of all loving God, and being a child in the faith, loving you're relatives and being humble. I good family, a happy and content home. Being considerate and always putting other sfirst. Spreading the gospel, and living for Christ. Life is living your every day as your last. Life is being alive! To me personally life is the very joy of living! Of the nature and the fields and plains and mountains, while counting all the blessings in my life.If you are alive, you probably are breathing :P You have emotions, and you enjoy doing things. But not always. You stay alive by the reproduction of cells through meosis. Is that what its called? Anyway, enough with biology. Get enough of it :P So that is my take!

reply to topic orginator.Life is somethign that grows and evolves life is a carbon based life form in our case.It is beilived to be there to carry out a purpose in the evolution of life. in my brothers case he gose against the role and gose back to the apes lol.

Life is Orange. And thats all I've got to say about that.

Who are you? Forest Gump? "Momma always said life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get." Try contributing to the forum if you're going to post...
Life is determined by the sentient being observing itself in a philosophical manner, asking the questions that drive exploration, learning, trying to better itself as a species: What is the meaning of life? How did we come to be? What happens when we die? What happened before we were born?

Ours is not to question weather or not other life forms ask themselves these questions. From their perspective we're just pieces of the occasional scenery, of no consequence, just a part of the universe just as a gnat is to us. Is life simply defined as the collaboration of various systems working in harmony to animate a "being"; a terrestrial entity? Or is it something more? Could life be the period of time between birth and death where we're meant to accomplish something, and the saying (I'm sure St. Michael has heard this several times), "Get a life!" really means go out into the world and seek out lessons to grow from and quit wasting your time on the damned computer in that stupid forum!