xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
dymondgurl

Redesign Gmail Webmail Site? Should google redesign their gmail site?

I've been noticing some things on the gmail site that are a bit annoying and makes you want to log the heck out. for example some of the functions on the section that you read the email on are almsot hidden due to the extremely small font size. like the forward and reply are not buttons, they are links and they are very small. They are at the bottom and the top of each message. but because they look like regular links you can miss them easily. and for a person like myself that gets frustrated easily that is a bad thing because it seems they will lose a lot of subscribers like that. I also think they should have the link to the directions for the pop accounts on the login page. It took me a while to find it. I'm pretty sure i'm not the only one. then they have the settings option on the top near the log out. i would think the settings would be on the left navigation with everything else. its kind of confusing if you think about it.thoughts, anyone else?

I like Gmail just the way it is--the layout is simple and not very cluttered. It also loads pretty quickly, and anyway, Google is already kind of revamping their home page, from which you can access Gmail...I think Google is doing all the right things!Go Google!!

I like how Gmail uses javascript to speed up loading of each page, and sometimes, the page doesn't even need to reload it self!

I've been noticing some things on the gmail site that are a bit annoying and makes you want to log the heck out. for example some of the functions on the section that you read the email on are almsot hidden due to the extremely small font size. like the forward and reply are not buttons, they are links and they are very small. They are at the bottom and the top of each message. but because they look like regular links you can miss them easily. and for a person like myself that gets frustrated easily that is a bad thing because it seems they will lose a lot of subscribers like that. I also think they should have the link to the directions for the pop accounts on the login page. It took me a while to find it. I'm pretty sure i'm not the only one. then they have the settings option on the top near the log out. i would think the settings would be on the left navigation with everything else. its kind of confusing if you think about it.

thoughts, anyone else?

192729[/snapback]

actually its not that hidden u just go to profiles and click pop... then u set it up with there tutorial

The gmail interface is ok. I don' thave trouble reading the words. I guess it also depends on your screen resolution that you set it to. Mines just at notch up from 800x600. I can't remember. hold on its 1024x 768. lol. I can never remember that number. Anyways atleast ite better tham some things.

I don't think gmail needs a redesign at all. There is nothing wrong with it. It's simplistic, the color scheme makes things stand out, the navigation is simple and easy to understand, it's a fast loading layout, there is no clutter of unnecessary content and it works in almost all browsers. Sure they could make it look better but google more about simplicity and being user friendly than visual appeal.

Personally, I like the design of Gmail. It's simple, clean and it doesn't have those annoying pop-up/banner ads to bother you. If anything, the google ads are not distracting at all and blend into the interface. As well, it loads up very quickly, unlike some of the other free Web e-mail services I've tried out.

So far I do not have any problems with Gmail site design but it seems that there is problems with firefox, gmail and yahoo groups email formatting. I cannot read yahoo groups email messages in Gmail when opened in firefox (I haven't tried in internet explorer though). The text are too small and each time I need to increase the text size of the mail which becomes very much not proportion with the menu and other texts outside the email message. This is somewhat annoying.

wow, so i am by myself with this. no one had a problem finding the reply link for the first time? I honestly think 'reply' should be a button and not formatted as a link. that is very strange to me.

Even I never had any problem with Gmail interface and love it absolutely. As for the 'reply' being a link, it is not a major issue, Some feel that 'Move to Trash' should also be a link, but I dont think it would make a difference to the Gmail experience.Moreover I use shortcut keys so just pressing 'r' is sufficient to open the reply part. Actually the fast loading no fuss interface is what makes Gmail stand out from its other contemporary e-mail services.Cheers.

I've been noticing some things on the gmail site that are a bit annoying and makes you want to log the heck out. for example some of the functions on the section that you read the email on are almsot hidden due to the extremely small font size. like the forward and reply are not buttons, they are links and they are very small. They are at the bottom and the top of each message. but because they look like regular links you can miss them easily. and for a person like myself that gets frustrated easily that is a bad thing because it seems they will lose a lot of subscribers like that. I also think they should have the link to the directions for the pop accounts on the login page. It took me a while to find it. I'm pretty sure i'm not the only one. then they have the settings option on the top near the log out. i would think the settings would be on the left navigation with everything else. its kind of confusing if you think about it.

thoughts, anyone else?

192729[/snapback]

Dymondgurl, your thoughts are completely incorrect. What "functions on the section that you read the email on"? And the reply and forward features are not small! They're easy to find! You can also press r to fast reply and f to forward, you know, after you allow it in your settings.

"Link to the directions for the POP accounts on the login page"? THAT's proposterous, and would jeopardize the security of the site. You could easily just sign in and click on Help to see "POP Access", which is one of the biggest topics.

"...it seems they will lose a lot of subscribers like that." That's not right. The reply and forward links are so visible that only a total Yahoo! or Hotmail user could miss them.

"...took me a while to find it. I'm pretty sure i'm not the only one." Of course you're not the only one, there are billions of people out there! However, considering the fact that over half of those people are probably computer illiterate, they don't count.

"...settings option on the top with the sign out. i would think the settings would be on the left navigation with everything else. it's kind of confusing if you think about it." That's incorrect as well. "Settings" placed next to "Help", "New Features" and "Log out" make perfect sense. Not to mention that it's near the big search box. Think of Hotmail, where the log out button is tiny and is near the top of the screen, and where the options link is nearly obscure. Then think of Yahoo Mail where the sign out is a tiny link below your username at the top of the screen and where the options link is a button over to the right most of the screen. Then think of how both Hotmail and Yahoo have oversized, bulky ads except for the premium subscribers.

What are you thinking, how could you want to redesign the layout?

haha that's really funny.... i didn't have trouble finding the reply link... that was easy... what got me was the dreaded "COMPOSE MAIL" button... it took me about 5 minutes to find it. lol i was starting to wonder if you actually could send email to people... :)anyway, i love the Gmail interface... its so simple! sure it takes a bit of getting used to like anything else, but the concept is absolutely magic! just so smooth and simple and user friendly.I must say though, i do miss my "delete" button :)cheers :P