xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
bonniecool

Robot Racing Gets Under Way 2 million prize at stake

This is a nice news i found.

FONTANA, California (AP) -- It's the ultimate robot reality show: 43 contestants battling for a spot in a government-sponsored desert race intended to speed development of unmanned military combat vehicles.
The reward? A $2 million cash prize.

The autonomous robotic vehicles began competing Wednesday in the first of a series of qualifying rounds at the California Speedway. Half will advance to the October 8 starting line of the so-called Grand Challenge.

The grueling, weeklong semifinals are designed to test the vehicles' ability to cover a roughly 2-mile stretch of the track without a human driver or remote control.

Participants ranging from souped-up SUVs to military behemoths will be graded on how well they can self-drive on rough road, make sharp turns and avoid obstacles -- hay bales, trash cans, wrecked cars -- while relying on GPS navigation and sensors, radar, lasers and cameras that feed information to computers.

The robots also have to heed speed limits in certain zones and pass through a 100-foot-long tunnel designed to temporarily knock out their GPS capabilities.

Vehicles have at least two chances to loop around the speedway during the qualifiers. The 20 finalists will be announced next week.

Let see how good this robots can perform.

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Please take this time to review the board rules again. This is your 3rd post without using QUOTE tags. When copying from another source http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ you MUST use QUOTE tags. To use this tag you simply type
[QUOTE] insert it just as is [/QUOTE]
to end the tag opened. Warning issued with credits reduced.

Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)

This is a nice news i found.

FONTANA, California (AP) -- It's the ultimate robot reality show: 43 contestants battling for a spot in a government-sponsored desert race intended to speed development of unmanned military combat vehicles.

The reward? A $2 million cash prize.

The autonomous robotic vehicles began competing Wednesday in the first of a series of qualifying rounds at the California Speedway. Half will advance to the October 8 starting line of the so-called Grand Challenge.

The grueling, weeklong semifinals are designed to test the vehicles' ability to cover a roughly 2-mile stretch of the track without a human driver or remote control.

Participants ranging from souped-up SUVs to military behemoths will be graded on how well they can self-drive on rough road, make sharp turns and avoid obstacles -- hay bales, trash cans, wrecked cars -- while relying on GPS navigation and sensors, radar, lasers and cameras that feed information to computers.

The robots also have to heed speed limits in certain zones and pass through a 100-foot-long tunnel designed to temporarily knock out their GPS capabilities.

Vehicles have at least two chances to loop around the speedway during the qualifiers. The 20 finalists will be announced next week.

Let see how good this robots can perform.

192700[/snapback]

Wow sounds like alot of fun lol... Just was pondering how that could be done... then i read the tunnel part... im like holy *BLEEP* lol...

I've heard about this race before on slashdot I think. From what I remember none of the robots last year were able to finish the course. So nobody claimed the 2 million.Hopefully this years crop of robots can do a little better.

I've heard about this race before on slashdot I think.  From what I remember none of the robots last year were able to finish the course.  So nobody claimed the 2 million.

Hopefully this years crop of robots can do a little better.

192863[/snapback]

i still dont see how its taht hard... all they have to do is make a robot that can think on its own or a system to that can detect street signs and stuff on the road while it uses gps cordinates to keep on the road...

Even then i dont see why you need the gps stuff just have sensors all over the car to be able to detect any obsticals and signs and infa red/night vision for dark spots...

sounds simple lol but can take alot of work which i can't do for a few reasons:

money

time

and actualy doing it lol... i just can think