xisto Community
Cerb

Turn Down Your Headphones! ... before I shove them so far.......

<rant>What is it with people listening to rap through their headphones so loud that anyone within a miles range can hear them? I don't mean to be the bearer of bad news people, but no one else could give a *BLEEP* about what you are listening to! Turn it down before I shove those headphones so far up in you that you are tasting plastic for a month. Plus, it always seems to be the cliche rap song; annoying clicky beat with a lot of hi-hat, horrible lyrics, and just all around badly composed. Now, don't get my wrong, it's not just rap that people do this with. That just seems to be the major offender. A lot of people blow heavy metal through them aswell. Not only do they turn their music up to horrendous levels, but they wear the headphones around their necks! If you want to listen to music, put the damned things on your ears.I've invested in some nice in-ear headphones that treat me very well. Even with them turned up all the way, you can barely hear them if they are not in your ears. Plus, they block all outside noise. For $40 dollars, they are a Godsend. Get some good earphones, people, and put them in your ears, not around your neck.Next time I see someone doing this, I think I may just have to choke them with their own headphones.</rant>

You know, I agree with you in not knowing what other point to listening to loud music is other then showing off. I personally like my music turned down, when anyone comes and tries to boost my volume up I can get really angry. It annoys me to listen to *Pump Pump* every time I go by someone with their music turned up so loud I bet they have bad hearing at this point. Isn't the point of headphones for personal use? I see no other point in having them if it's just to show off. I have used them so people don't hear my music when they sleep or are doing work... I guess maybe everyone is different?

Isn't the point of headphones for personal use?  I see no other point in having them if it's just to show off.

Same could be said about baseball caps - aren't they s'posed to keep the sun out of your eyes? Well, why wear 'em sideways or back-to-front? And sunglasses - again for keeping the sun out of your eyes. So why wear them upside down off the back of your neck? For no other reason than cos the person doing so thinks they look cool. You'll always get those people; not much you can do about it.

Mmmh rap sucks anyway, but if you think THAT's worse, imagine a sister who listens it with the speakers LOAD ENOUGH for the entire house to hear it, while I got uber good headphones on that pc :[

Is your beef with the head phones or with rap music. The genre of music should not even be a part of your arguement if it is really about the volume. Everyone is going to have there own opinion on good and bad music but the thread started made a thread called turn down your head phones. Not turn down your rap music so it should not be apart of this arguement or the focus in anyones post.

I agree with the previous post. If you are trying to rant about people listening to their music loud thorugh their headphones, then you shouldn't single out the genres of music that you don't like yourself and then try to cover it up with an "i dont mean to offend anyone" statement. The fact that some people listen to their music turned up all the way doesn't mean that they want everyone to hear it. I don't see a reason why people should go out and get special headphones for 40 dollars just to satisfy those that they don't really don't care about. Now, to defend your case, it all depends on what the scenario is. If you are in a location such as, let's say, a musuem or a library, then yes, I agree that people sould have some decent respect and common courtesy and keep their music down to a level so they don't disturb others. But if someone is on a bus or in a store or in any other public place that allows for people to talk above a whisper, then people should be able to listen to their music in any way they want, as long as it's not a deliberate attempt to piss others off. Not that I mean to offend anyone, but that's just my opinion.

And I quote:

Now, don't get my wrong, it's not just rap that people do this with. That just seems to be the major offender.

I like all music. Everything from classical to death metal. Rap is one that I enjoy to a degree. Jazz happens to be my favorite. If someone was walking around blasting jazz through their EARphones, while their EARphones are around their neck, it's going to annoy me.

... and then try to cover it up with an "i dont mean to offend anyone" statement

Please point out to me where I said this.

The genre of music should not even be a part of your arguement

The genre was not part of the argument. The genre was merely an example.

But if someone is on a bus or in a store or in any other public place that allows for people to talk above a whisper, then people should be able to listen to their music in any way they want

Once again, they are called EARphones. One doesn't have to blast music around their neck to be able to hear it.

I don't see a reason why people should go out and get special headphones for 40 dollars just to satisfy those that they don't really don't care about

Do unto others...?

My advice -- Just breathe. So some people play their music louder than others. So maybe you can hear what's on some other guy's headphones. Big deal. It's not going to kill you. He's not walking around with an entire sound system...nobody even carries boomboxes anymore. So you won't die. And I take it you heard it in a public area...even at regular tones people can drown out music in your headphones. So maybe it was turned up a bit.I agree with the "why do you attack rap" type post. If anything, I'd say [good] rap has some pretty low beats, whereas things like heavy metal blare like no other.*also enjoys just about all music*

yes, i agree i wear my headphones all day but im very sure that they're not that loud firstly because i don't want to stop hearing x_x and second because of the respect to people, and wearing them in the neck its kind of dumb because their HEADphones :P _(i do it but i turn off the music first)i also don't like the cars that raise their radio's audi waaay up! you know that kind of cars with music that you can hear coming from 50 meters :huh: what do you think of these kind of cars?

I think they should just be allowed to do it i mean there only hurting themselves listening to rap or what ever they have blasting in there headphoens. Ya its kinda annoying to listen to someone else rap when your like a foot or so away but when they can't hear and need a hearing aid then mayb then they will learn not to listen to it so loud.

Notice from wassie:
Edited as requested.
Edited by wassie (see edit history)

So some people play their music louder than others. So maybe you can hear what's on some other guy's headphones. Big deal. It's not going to kill you.

It may not seem like such a big deal but I believe it's symptomatic of an ever-increasing trend in (at least Western) societies for people to be less and less conscious/aware of the effects their actions have on people around them and their environment. People don't care about other people any more, they only think of themselves.
You say "so what?"; I view that as you saying "f*** you, I don't know you, why should I care about you or alter my behaviour not to piss you off?" (By the way, this is not directed at you but rather at people who do things that piss others off and either do it deliberately or are oblivious to it happening.)
People care less & less about other people today - they're too caught up in their own little world and don't care who they offend/tread on/push past to get what they want. Extrapolate that attitude and take into consideration the effects on things that people don't directly interact with (like the environment), and you can see why this planet is the trouble it's in.

I don't think there's something wrong with people who listen with their headphones on and it's not their fault if they annoy you. What's wrong is if those people deliberately try to annoy you by turning the volume to superhigh while banging their heads in front of you and grinning like an annoying idiot (it happened to me once).

If someone wants to ruin their hearing, then by all means let them. Later in life they will suffer a concequence that they can only blame themselves for. It's much worse than anything you could do to them.I also see why people like to turn up the volume so high. Whenever I listen with headphones I have an urge to turn up the volume but I don't, I just stop listening.