xisto Community
Achieve

The Meaning Of Life... Is There One?

Hey, So i know that there is always hundreds of posts on this but Ijust thought I'd add to that list...I was looking out of my sky light, lying on my bed watching the rain hit the window (lol - what can I say, I live in Britain) and I was thinking about it all. I was thinking, well, what is the meaning in life - is it too raise a family, is it too find true love, is it to fulfil your dreams. Then I started thinking, is there really a meaning too life? I dont mean to say that life is a waist of time, but perhaps were all kind of like a science room experiment. Maybe we are all test tubes, and our life is the experiment, and when the experiment is done, we die because the chemical is no longer needed. So then perhaps, after it is known what type of chemical you are, how you can be used and what you are not effective at, perhaps you can be used commercially, or in our case - the next life. So perhaps there is no point or specific meaning to our life, maybe it's just a case of leaving us to react with the open air and see what we are doing. When a baby is being born and the water is draining the baby must feel as if it's life is over, because the life inside the womb is the only life it knows, perhaps its the same with us. We spend 9 months in the womb and 90 years on the earth. Perhaps we got longer to spend in our next life? Anyway, what do you think about life and if there is a meaning etc? Thanks for your time. Achieve.

I think in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, the answer to life, the universe, and everything is 42. The meaning of life probably has an equally intriguing answer.

There was a very wise man who lived a few millenia ago who said in a book he wrote that "everything is meaningless, a chasing after the wind." He also said in his conclusions...

Here is the conclusion of the matter:

Fear God and keep his commandments,

for this is the whole duty of man.

For God will bring every deed into judgment,

including every hidden thing,

whether it is good or evil.

His name was Solomon and his words are in the book of Ecclesiastes in the Bible.

Well, I guess I have my very own opinion about this topic. I am not really affraid of dying someday. But what really scares me is the fact of passing out without leaving a legacy, I mean, a really artistic/spiritual legacy. Something with what people will remember you, it will be forced by your work...For example, my three main goals before I die are:1) Writting a book - Not just a book, a really brilliant, excellent one...2) Recording an album - One of the best in its genre... definitely...3) Making a film - Doesn't matter if it's a Dogme, but a good one...I must add: I've been working hard on it... actually some people think I am kind of obssesed with that idea of inmortalization... well, anyways, i love the idea.-..Cheers! :huh:

Dear Achieve,.. First of all , let me congratulate you on asking yourself this question and posting it here...cuz -as i think - this is the most important question that anyone can ask , and so many people die before they know what's the purpose of there life...i think i have a satisfying answer to your question , but , i will reach to this part later in my reply. first , let's watch the universe around us , as u did , the whole blue sky above us...the earth with all its oceans , seas , forests , lands , people , animals with thier great diversity..the space and stars that count more than every single sand particle on all earth's coasts...the first thing that come to mind when u think of that is , "Who Made This??" there gotta be some "power" whatever it may be that "created" this whole universe with all it's tiny details from the cells of your body that look like a factory to the stars in the sky. the second thing that you should ask yourself about is: And why i'm the only thing in this whole system , among every other things that had a "mind" to think and ask this question...so , definitly there is a purpose of your existence...this can't be just a coincedence first , in the presence of this whole great system , second , you to be in the middle of this.You , people of the western world , always think about that ... because your lives are meaningless...i don't mean to insult anyone , but it's the truth ... for example , what is the benefit of enjoying your life as much as you can , collecting money , finding love ,....etc . these things are important and should be reached but that is not lif about...at a single true inevitable moment , you will DIE . your boyfriend \ husband or your girlefriend\wife will DIE , your money will be inherited by another one , your joy will stop... even your closest belovers , will remeber you for some time then they will forget or they will DIE... so all these targets are not the true purpose of life. because you don't see with your hearts , you only see with your eyes. You now tell me , who is the only one that knows the purpose of life?? the one who made it with all its details or you , being a single detail of a whole enormous system? of course the one who created all this is the only one who knows. and without his guidance to us , we will not ever know.Thinking in this way , i came up with a conclusion that i feel deep in my heart it's true...The power that created that , is greater and much more powerful than anyone could imagine , cuz we make imaginations with our minds , which is a part of the creation...so , how a mind can imagine the power of his creator?! the second thing that i came up with , is that this power is A SINGLE one , not 2 not 3 and no more , it's just one...because , the whole perfectency in the universe...the way how things perfectly match its purpose , that u see in the lense of your eye and how it perfectly focus the image on your retina so u can see...that u see in magnetic balance between planets of the solar system that hold them together...this can't be maintained except by just ONE POWER , cuz if they were 2 or three , they would argue or fight , one wants a star here , another wants it there and eventually they may strike each others with asteroids.SO IT'S ONLY ONEEventually ladies and gentlemen this can be said in a single word : The Almighty or GODthat's the only reason why we were given mind to think among all other creatures , the ability to observe and everything....to KNOW HIMSo far so good , but what he wants from us?As i said before : we can't know except from him...only him would be merciful to us and tell us by a way or another , what he wants...we really want to know , can u feel what i mean?!! we are meaningless without knowing. if we didn't know , we will not be different from trash or a stray dog..cuz we didn't use the gift we have over stray dogs: MIND.NOW , we come to the major point: how can we know??i'll tell u: Beacause GOD is so merciful to his slaves "us" he sent us messengers...people from between us , that he chosed..he sent to them "don't ask me how , this is a nother whole story" and he told them to be guides from him to us , telling us what should we do with our lives.over the past thousands of years , throughout the history of man , The Almighty sent so many messengers to many people , one after another... people used to deny their messages and reject to obey and follow the orders of god although this was what they really needed. moreover , they killed their messengers "as the jews " or disfigured them and their messages "as in christianity where jesus was supposed to be a messenger , but christians made him a son of god , which is logically unacceptable" and so , Almighty God send the last prophet and messenger :Mohammed to be a guide to the whole world , and his message is Islam ... The instructions to humans from God to humans are in his book "The Holy Quran" which is orders from God directly not from Mohammed. Allah "the name muslims use to say GOD" order you , to witness that thier is only one god"allah" and that Mohammed is his slave and messenger. Allah order us to Follow his instructions mentioned in the Holy Quran in our life , and says that our life is just a test to determine your Eternity after death, either Eternal paradise , or eternal Hell. Allah tells the humans through his messenger that their will be a judgment day after death , and that every human will be judged... did he obey in his life the instructions or did he fail. if he succeeded , he shall have eternal paradise , and if he fail...he deserve the etrnal hell. These instructions make a sense of your life...not an empty one...he order you to live for a purpose : to prepare for the eternity.the basics of these instructions are:to admit unity "there is only one god" and admit that mohammed is his messenger, to pray to allah , the rich should give from his money to the poor , to say the truth , to help people in need , to be generous , to respect women and protect them , to respect and obey your parents and serve them when they ask,..and so many instructions.That was a small idea of what i think about "the purpose of life"...please , i want to here your opinions about that.

The meaning of life you ask? Well, I can tell you. It's amazingly simple--when you downsize it. All you need to realize first is that the meaning of life is the same for all creatures, from the smallest viruses and bacteria all the way to humans and greater creatures. Why shouldn't the meaning of life be the same for all creatures? Who are we to say we are superior to anything? What could possibly make a human life worth more than that of another organism? Intelligence? No, intelligence is simply an adaptation of humans from millenia ago, it is our "Sharp Teeth and Claws". What else do we have above our intelligence? Once you realize that all creatures have the same purpose in life you are halfway to discovering the meaning of it all. Think about it, what goal do all of the creatures have in common? Go to college? No. Become a professional athlete? I doubt it. I'm sure it's dawned upon you now.It is simply to spread your genes and survive long enough to ensure their own survival. It all fits now doesn't it?

When I think about life I think about memories and things that make me happy because they mean more than just a fleeting thought. However, it always seems like my most remembered moments are the ones that could be easily forgettable. I distinctly remember listing to The Early November one summer morning, at peace with myself, watching my room get gradually brighter as the sun rose until it was officially morning. When I do get a chance to watch the sun rise, I am instantly overcome by a sense of calmness. And then there are all the times I see the boy that I like smiling at me or making me feel like it's okay to like them and maybe things will work out. Life seems to always be those little moments of joy that allow me to sit back and say, "Yes, life is good."

God created us to share a loving, personal relationship with Him ;) He gave us one chance to reject Him since love forced with no choice is no love at all. Well, we messed that up, and mankind is condemned to be eternally separated from Him since God can't tolerate evil in His presence. There's one solution, and that His perfect Son who is the beginning of His creation, and by which all else is created. Jesus descended from His place in glory to pay the price for our sins on the cross and fulfil all the prophecies. Now through repenting and trusting in Him to save us through that sacrifice, we can be reconciled to God and have our sins "paid for in full." Accepting Him into our hearts we can become once again in the right relationship God made us for. He will come into our hearts and fill that God-sized void within us, He'll give us a new heart, a new spirit, and a new mind. We are born again! And He not only died, but He descended into Hell and took from Satan the power over death and then rose from the dead as the ultimate Conqueror! He has the keys of death and Hell and eternal life and forgiveness more complete then we can imagine is His to give to whoever comes to Him. To "whosoever believeth in Him." Without Him we're nothing, life is so hopeless. With Him, all the victories have already been won, Hallelujah! ;)

I thought the meaning of life was to work your way to the top, hoard power, and stomp over all those that get in your way. ;)

214297[/snapback]

And then kill yourself if you lose all that, since it could be taken away from you? Or else just kill yourself when you realize how meaningless it all was? There are a lot of people who've taken such routes before.

On a small I believe that you have to make a meaning of life, you own purose for being here for yourself.But on the big wide scale I think that it will be one of the questions we will never be able to answer. That us mere humans aren't evolved enough to understand.

I don't know what the meaning of life is but I was thinking the other day, imagine if somewhere there was intelligent life who made us all as an experiment? Like Big Brother, magnified lol. Weird huh?

I think the meaning of life is different for every person..And in some perspectives there is no meaning. ...............Furthermore... I also think that there is no particular heaven or hell as described by the book they call the bible, but that you go to a place which pertains to your actions during life depending on what you believe in. And I think that if you're a person with no faith in anything, you go nowhere, and you just don't exist...And there are no longer any senses...Just dead and gone.

:angry:The meaning to life - great subject. I think a few of the folks that responded hit it right on the head. But here's another related question from another angle: Do all humans have the ability to achieve purpose & meaning in life? Is there a connection there amongst all people?

I struggled with despair for some time in my 20s, until my early 30s when I found myself married with two kids and no understanding of true love. That was the lowest point of my life. During a painful separation, I found out what love really was, because it was imparted to me from God. God is love you know. And from there I eventually found meaning & purpose.

A wise man once said "Relationships are the only thing that we are going to take with us into heaven". I believe this, and this is the meaning I found in life. And that is why I am thoroughly convinced in the message and teaching about Jesus Christ. Everything fits, and everything makes sense for me know. But there was a time that it didn't make any sense. But then I found FAITH. Faith in the age old scriptures that talk about God. This is what I learned, and believe. God created the first man Adam in his perfect love. He loved Adam so much he gave him dominion over all the works of his hands. There was perfect fellowship between them. To complete Adam, he created Eve, and joined them together in marraige, and the two became "one flesh" in holy marraige. God gave them a commandment to be fruitful and multiply and take dominion over the earth, and set them in the garden. God had only one rule for Adam, not to eat of the tree of the knowledge of good & evil, or he would surely die. Adam screwed up through the temptation that followed, and from there sin entered into the world, and this has been what is wrong with the world, and why we struggle with these questions. Sin is responsible for the downfall of man, sickness, disease, strife, violence, wars etc. etc. But God was not content to leave it this way. He required punishment for this sin, however, and this punishment had to come in the form of blood. The scripture states "there is no forgiveness of sin without the shedding of blood". God, therefore, sacrificed an animal and make coverings for Adam & Eve, so they would no longer be naked & ashamed. Hence, the first shedding of blood as payment for sin. (Hebrews 9:22, Leviticus 17:11).

This is where some people differ. They fail to take into account the need for the blood to pay for sin. For centuries, as outlined in the Old Testament, the blood of goats, bulls, and other animals were sacrificed on the alter for payment for various sins. But these sacrifies could never completely take away sin, they only acted as temporary measures. The reason? That which was sacrificed was imperfect. Therefore, God, as he had planned from the beginning of time, provided a man to shed his blood for the sins of the whole world, once for all. This man had to be completely free of sin in order to fulfill the righteous requirement of the law. That man was Jesus Christ. And the reason that he was able to become the perfect sacrifice was that he was the Son of God, born of the Holy Spirit, and not of the seed of man.

Any other doctrine that teaches any other way to God cannot satisfy the requirements of the blood, and is false. This is why Jesus Christ, through his atoning sacrifice, is THE WAY, THE ONLY WAY, and why his words that echoed "I am the way, the truth & the life, no man comes to the father except through me" is the great crescendo of all that is meaning & purpose in life.

On a small I believe that you have to make a meaning of life, you own purose for being here for yourself.

But on the big wide scale I think that it will be one of the questions we will never be able to answer. That us mere humans aren't evolved enough to understand.