xisto Community
tuddy

Build A Computer How to build your computer from scratch

Building a New Computer from ScratchThings you need before you start:1. A Screw Driver2. A Flat Working Bench3. Computer Components consisting of:a. Computer Case (Compatible with your Mother Board & Power Supply already installed)b. Mother Board (CPU and RAM installed)c. HDD with IDE Cabled. CD-ROM (Optional) with IDE Cablee. Floppy Drive (Optional, but Recommended) with IDE CableTo start building your computer, follow these steps:a) Unscrew your case lid or side as the case may be. There should be a screws right at the back to allow you to do this. (Also if your case may get opened often in the future, invest in some thumb screws):huh: At this point you should ?earth? yourself, either by attaching an anti-static line to yourself, or by touching the outside metal casing.c) First is how to put your mother board into your case. This is done in two parts. First you have to screw special holders that do 2 things, Hold the motherboard up off the case side, and have holes to allow for your motherboard screws to be placed in. This should be placed in places whereas the holes on your motherboard correspond to. After this you can then also now place your mother board into your case on top of these special screws. Once your mother board is in the correct place and lines up at the back, you now screw down your motherboard with the screws provided. You can now start adding components.d) Take your HDD, Floppy Drive, CD-Rom and place them into there respective place in the case and screw them in. You should ensure to use all four screws for each component, as any movement whilst in the case when being used could cause damage.e) Take your three (some cases only two) IDE cables and connect them to your mother board in there correct places. Ensure not to bend pins, and that you insert them the correct way around, usually there is a slit on one side.f) Now connect the main power cable to the power board, most cases this is a large plug consisting of 2 rows of bout 6 holes.g) Now you connect the three power plugs up to the HDD, Floppy Drive, CD-Rom and the other ends of the IDE Cables.h) Everything should now be connected in your case excluding the front connecters. These are the connecters that make the LEDs and Power switch on the front of your computer work. To connect these connecters, you must use the instruction booklet that came with your motherboard, as they must be connected in the right places before they work.i) Once everything is connected, you can now place the lid or side back on your computer and screw it all back up. Connect it up and turn it on and see if everything works.This is a quick and simple, but no where near full guide to constructing your own computer from components. If there are any problems after BOOT UP then Google search the problem, or ask right here. I also stress that you read any instruction manuals you may have for each device.

I was just wondering why you say a floppy drive was reccomended? At this point I really can't see any reason to have a floppy drive. They just don't seem necessary to me, almost everyone has a cd burner, so you can just make bootable cds.

Recommended because it really saves alot of time. Yes you can make Bootable CDs, but for people who are not computer friends, teaching them to make one or to burn to a CD makes it hard. It all depends just how advanced you are with computers i guess. I know that without a floppy drive my parents would be lost. They still use them to transfer files and stuff. As i said, it is an optional item. Can it hurt to have one anyway?, i mean, you can still have that extra HDD if you do have a floppy drive connected. (Providing you have the 'docking' space.)

I think you should have expanded a bit on installing the cpu and ram. This can be a tricky area for a novice.Also a little info on power supply ratings wouldnt go amiss.I presume the motherboard has onboard graphics as you didnt mention installing a graphics card.

Tuddy, nice job. I will like never find a person to give iformation how to build a computer. :) But I have already built about 78 computers 20 laptops and 58 PCs.But your are so nice to type in alot of words.:) GREAT JOB DUDE!!!! ;) Thanks for reading,Webviper2005