xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
BordaForx

How Do I Make A Shell? I have no idea.

I think I know what a server is, but how do you 'MAKE' one? I need help!

What is a shell?!??!?!?!

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Novaterra, you know better not to post questions in What Is...? section. This is your friendly warning note. Moving to Software section. Editing title.
Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)

I found the definition for you and it pretty much answered what i thought it was:(1) The outermost layer of a program. Shell is another term for user interface. Operating systems and applications sometimes provide an alternative shell to make interaction with the program easier. For example, if the application is usually command driven, the shell might be a menu-driven system that translates the user's selections into the appropriate commands. (2) Sometimes called command shell, a shell is the command processor interface. The command processor is the program that executes operating system commands. The shell, therefore, is the part of the command processor that accepts commands. After verifying that the commands are valid, the shell sends them to another part of the command processor to be executed. that should help you out a bit.

my best guess would be that a shell is a layer of the software or hardware.For instance in software you have the actual program in which you do all the stuff that its required to do. the next shell would be the actual coding it has in which you tell it what to do.Same concept but more extreme with hardware. But those who do actual computer programs could give you a better answer then I could.

Do you know how to program a server, or whatever?

191643[/snapback]

What the hell are you talking about? :huh:

I'm sorry but I don't understand a bit of what you're trying to do.

A shell is like a communication tool between the user and an operating system core, something like MS-DOS is in Windows.The thing about the shell is that it's more used on Linux than it is in Windows because Windows has an integrated desktop system and the OS cannot exist witout the GUI but Linux can.Desktops come on many flavours in Linux and are not neccessary for the proper OS functioning and besides Linux is nativly multiuser platform that's why Windows users are so interested in so-called shells.You can rent a shell anywhere since there are so many providers on the net or you can ask a friend who rund any *nix system to give you one.Now, what server are you talking about?