xisto Community
goldinero

What Is Slax?

YEAH, i was about to answer what slax was, but...well, i'm using ubuntu right now. I turn away from live cds because I thought they would be slow, and not wrinting much to hard drive might means difficulties to save settings, preferences, etc.does mozilla comes with slax?How many megabytes was slax live-cd iso?thanks

does mozilla comes with slax?

One of the nice things about slax is that it is modulated, so you can "install" a whole bunch of diffrent products onto it before burning. As for the size, I don't remember but I do know I downloaded it while on dialup, it did take a long time, but I did accomplish it. :huh:

does mozilla comes with slax?

How many megabytes was slax live-cd iso?

191372[/snapback]

Slax with GUI (standard edition) is about 177 MB ISO image that you can download and burn to CD. The standard edition doesn't have Mozilla or Firefox. It has KDE with Konqueror and the K word processor and spreadsheet.

IMHO live cd's are just for saving computers, but since im an inexperienced linux user, i just reinstall linux, takes less than 30 minutes. but it's not a good idea, learn how to fix it.back on topic, slackware is good, so slax would supposably good livecd as well.

Isn't that thing similar to Knoppix? Anyway, live CDs are useful for some backup or educational purposes. If you want to show to a friend Linux on his/her own PC, then you're in luck. But then, it's better getting the OS itself. I have RedHat so far, and I can't use it yet, since the CPU for my Linux OS isn't assembled yet. I'm not gonna use big specs. Just a Pentium 2 Processor and 64MB RAM will do for now... Using Linux isn't as bad as I originally thought. In fact, I used one of those Live CDs before for the sole purpose of "cool" factor. :) Linux might not do well in the compatibility area, but it does good in the stability part!

That's insane. It's amazing what they can do with technology. Fit a whole operating system on a little disk. I love technology, I'm gonna work for geeksqaud or something like that.

IMHO live cd's are just for saving computers, but since im an inexperienced linux user, i just reinstall linux, takes less than 30 minutes. but it's not a good idea, learn how to fix it.

194579[/snapback]

Many live CDs are marketed as rescue CDs, which is what I think you mean by "saving computers." But Slax is not. It doesn't have the tools necessary to do rescue operations. But it does boot up as a nice workstation environment.

I have tried number of linux distros (latest was ubuntu) and everytime I go back to XP? I really like the idea of having an OS completely free but the problem with me is that I do not have that much time to study the configuration, is there anybody there that have tried the most user friendly linux distro (this is speaking from someone who is really new to linux)

Slax looked cool, but I went with DSL instead... It has firefox built in, along with quite a few other really useful programs, and there's a version of OpenOffice.org available from the distro sites...
If you're looking for something for school, the live cd is about 48 MB (not including OOo or anything extra you download) and can fit on a business card cd... It's *fairly* user friendly (it's my first distro) and has a decent selection of apps and games
http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/