xisto Community
xJedix

Javascript Question

Alright, I am trying to make this code do a loop so that it submits the form every 30 minutes. I have tried using a while loop but it only does it once.

This is what I am trying to do every 30 minutes.

setTimeout('document.upgradeForm.submit()',1800000);

Right now, it submits the form after 30 minutes only one time.

This is what I tried to do, since infinite loops freezes your browser, I set it to do it for a 100 times :\

var x=0while (x<=100){setTimeout('document.upgradeForm.submit()',1800000);x = x+1}

I believe I need to some how tell it to wait the 30 minutes before repeating the loop, but I don't know how to do that. If you know how, or know a better way to accomplish this.... please reply.

Thanks, xJedix

Can I first of all ask why?  Secondly if the submitting was to be a personal thing then I would recomend making use of a cronjob rather then Javascript.

191156[/snapback]

Welll, I play a game called darkthrone... You might have heard of it. I am making this so it will buy me items every 30 minutes, which is when I get more gold.

I haven't used cronjobs before, if you could explain how to do this with cronjobs, it would be greatly appreciated.

xJedix

If you want to use a cron job, first you have to have hosting, usually linux, that supports cron jobs. Then, though something like cPanel, you can set up a cron job to automatically run a script (in this case your form, which you could just make a PHP or other type of script to post the variables to wherever is needed) every half hour (or whatever length of time you want). If you need more help on the details, don't hesitate to ask! Hope you get it working soon!!

Alright, I am trying to make this code do a loop so that it submits the form every 30 minutes.  I have tried using a while loop but it only does it once.

This is what I am trying to do every 30 minutes.

setTimeout('document.upgradeForm.submit()',1800000);

Right now, it submits the form after 30 minutes only one time.

This is what I tried to do, since infinite loops freezes your browser, I set it to do it for a 100 times :\

var x=0while (x<=100){setTimeout('document.upgradeForm.submit()',1800000);x = x+1}

I believe I need to some how tell it to wait the 30 minutes before repeating the loop, but I don't know how to do that.  If you know how, or know a better way to accomplish this.... please reply.

Thanks, xJedix

191092[/snapback]

have you tried to break your loop and run a timer that continues the loop after 30 mins. I don't know if it would work and don't have the time to try it right now. But try it out and let me know.

when I get more time I will try too.

Indeed, just let a timer run, 12:xx:21

and when the xx = 00 OR 30 ... just send your form!

setInterval might be a better choice when you want a chunk of code to run repeatedly. But for a script running in a browser, 30 minutes might as well be 30 years. You may well get that annoying box warning about long script execution times. Maybe not, though, because the script is "idling." It'd be an interesting experiment anyway, despite the fact that there are likely better ways to accomplish it than by using javascript.