xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Microsoft

Google Web Accelerator

Does The google accelerator work? I mean i got to download it. and i dont know i dont think it accelerates surfing. because i tried to refresh and dint work it was loading so i turn the web accelerator off, and it worked. maybe it doesnt work on some websites. Sometimes it says 5 seconds save and stuff. I tried downloading it before but it already had maximum capacity of users but now i downloaded, anyone else has this google web accelerator?

i havn't notice any change but it claims i have save a whole day and then some from loading up pages. But it has to do with the cache of webasites so if you max out your cache maybe it will load quicker but its a pain when yo uhave to download something and have to turn it off.

ooo ... i have never heard of google web accelerator :huh: ... but i will try it out ... in my humble opinion ... all those web accelerators are the same ... they are working the same way ... they do accelerate the speed a bit but not very much ...

Google web accelerator is actually a program that caches user's webpages and uploads them to the google servers, which are faster. When the user requests for a page, it actually downloads from the Google Server. This means, that when you are using Google Web Accelerator, you are giving google what you see on your browsing sessions, and you are getting other people's browsing session. Sometimes, you may even be logged into somebody else's forum account because you are viewing another person's session. It does not work like a download accelerator, which breaks your destination file into pieces which speeds it up by download more, smaller files, simutaneously.

For more information please read:
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Web accerlerators sound like mere scams to me, after all, if you really want faster download speed, you should upgrade your internet subscription. Such web accerlaration programs are known to be full of spyware and adware, but since its google, i'm not really sure. But then again, does it really help? Is that google thing clogging up your com worth a few secs more

Web Accelerators cannot really boost the speed of your modem or connection but what they can do is make that connection more efficient and effective. Web Accelerators have been around for 10 years plus now, since the days of slow dial up, and I'm not talking about the dialup we have today, I'm talking about the 14400 dialup that I was using in the early 90's.

I have heard that you can not get Google Web Accelerator anymore. I have read somewhere that people accused Google of stealing personal information by gathering the information that people have looked up or entered. These never work anyway.

Yea I downloaded it a loooooooong time ago. It seemed to mess up certain pages. It said it saved 30 minutes on the the little toolbar thing, but I dunno. It has long been lost on my hard drive and apparently you can't download it anymore.

191155[/snapback]

It's actually not that bad. The thing is that Google Web Accelerator doesn't work well for dial-up users and is best for Firefox, Mozilla and Netscape, because these Gecko browsers have the pre-load feature built-in. That is to say, they intelligently load pages into a user's cache before the user actually clicks on the link based on mouse movements and web scripting. With Internet Explorer, the program does a similar thing by pre-loading web pages into the Google Web Accelerator's cache, but isn't as good because it really only pre-loads links that you mouse over.

If you think it doesn't work, just uninstall it. It's that simple. It would probably also be nice if you contacted them with your opinions. :huh:

Web Accelerators cannot really boost the speed of your modem or connection but what they can do is make that connection more efficient and effective. Web Accelerators have been around for 10 years plus now, since the days of slow dial up, and I'm not talking about the dialup we have today, I'm talking about the 14400 dialup that I was using in the early 90's.

191172[/snapback]

Yes, quite true. They cannot possibly boost the speed of dial-up connections because dial-up uses analog sound signals to transmit information. However, with broadband, multiple connections are supported and you can use the same bandwidth for many things at once.

That is to say, with dial-up at 56 kbps, 4 web pages (suppose they're all at 100 kb each) loading will load as PAGE ONE...DONE...PAGE TWO...DONE...PAGE THREE...DONE...PAGE FOUR...DONE or 100+100+100+100. Meanwhile, broadband (DSL and Cable Internet) does PAGE ONE...PAGE TWO...PAGE THREE...PAGE FOUR (all at once)...DONE.

Therefore, the Google Web Accelerator is not recommended for dial-up users.

Personally, and i've always said this, I believe that web accelerators are a walking equivalent of spyware or adware. They do exactly what they claim not to do. All you're doing really, is caching your page straight to the web accelerator's website. This means that other people instead of you can view the page your viewing. Therefore, this opens up security risks with information you don't want others to see, especially if you forget to turn it off.Like someone else said a few posts ago. Why bother with these 'junky' programs when you can just upgrade your internet speed - the internet doesn't cost a lot of money anymore. The modern age of computing is these wap mobile phones and stuff like that.This is my opinion anyway, that the programs aren't worth bothering with.

I had tried out the google we accelerator for a while and it says that I've saved about 2 mins of time in the 2 hours I had been using it but I couldn't tell the difference. I also heard that there were problems of some people being logged in as others for certain sites so I just uninstalled it.