xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
sujith

Upgrading To Windows Xp Guide for upgrading to windows xp

Upgrading to Windows XP

I’ve been flooded with calls recently about upgrading to Windows XP. I’m not sure why there is this sudden interest in upgrading to XP, but there are issues and concerns which need to be addressed before a final decision is made. Not doing your homework can turn an upgrade into your worst nightmare. Before I go any further, I’m going to set out my opinion regarding upgrading an earlier operating system to Windows XP. Don’t do it.

My personal experience has shown that very seldom, if ever, do you realize the full potential of a new operating system when it’s installed as an upgrade. The most meticulous of users can’t guard against all the stray files, drivers, and registry entries that creep into a system through normal use. I see no sense in starting out at a disadvantage. Far too often I’ve heard an operating system badmouthed as being an unstable nightmare when the fault is with the upgrade process.

Of course, it’s not always possible to do a clean install after wiping the disks, but if it’s feasible, the rewards are well worth the extra time and effort. My grandfather, a carpenter, always said it doesn’t matter what you build above ground level if the foundation is shaky. Good advice and as relevant to computer technology as it was to his 2x4’s.

So, you’ve decided you aren’t willing to invest all that time in restoring applications, data, network, and e-mail resources. What can you do to minimize the problems associated with an upgrade? Preparation is the best chance you have when upgrading. Here are a few questions you should be asking before you insert that Windows XP CD.

Question: Can the current operating system be upgraded to Windows XP?
Answer: Just because you have Windows already installed it doesn’t mean you have a clear upgrade path to XP. If you’re still on Win95 or anything earlier, stop reading now. There is no upgrade path to XP. For Win 98, 98SE, and Me users, you can upgrade to either XP Home or Professional versions. Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000 and XP Home users can upgrade to XP Professional but not to XP Home. Upgrades from NT 3.51, any server or any beta version are not supported. I can’t think of a single good reason for XP Home to exist other than to transfer a few dollars from upgrade/don’t upgrade fence straddlers into Microsoft’s coffers.

Question: Do I have hardware that will work with Windows XP?
Answer: Face the facts. If you’re running the minimum 233-MHz Intel or AMD compatible processor, 64-MB RAM, 1.5 GB of free disk space, Super VGA (800x600) video adapter and monitor, and Microsoft-compatible keyboard and pointing device, you aren’t going to be happy with Windows XP. Nor will you be able to enjoy all the features that XP offers. It would be like driving a Ferrari with a Ford Pinto motor.

Even if you do meet the XP minimum requirements that’s just the beginning. All the parts and pieces need to be checked against the Hardware Compatibility List. Unless you are prepared to replace anything not on the list, it pays to know in advance what components will not be compatible and likely cause problems. If you don’t have a copy of Windows XP, borrow the CD from a friend and pop it into your CD drive. Close the screen if auto run launches and open Run from the Start Menu. Type in D:\winnt32.exe /checkupgradeonly, substituting the drive letter of your CD-ROM for D if it’s different. This will launch the Microsoft Windows Upgrade Advisor that will identify any hardware and software upgrade incompatibilities. Save or print the results after the advisor finishes.

Microsoft has made available on their website some excellent documentation regarding upgrading to Windows XP. I strongly suggest it be read before a final decision is made. A number of other articles are linked from the one below, including a download location for the Microsoft Windows Upgrade Advisor. Even though it's a 35MB download, if you don't have access to a Windows XP CD it is well worth the time to download a copy before making your final upgrade decision.

Description of the Windows XP Upgrade Advisor (Q307726)

Question: Do I have software that will work with Windows XP?
Answer: Equally as important as the hardware issues are the ones relating to software and Windows XP. Read the previous section about the Microsoft Windows Upgrade Advisor. It provides a listing of software issues as well as hardware. I know it isn’t what you want to hear, but if your software is going to be rendered unusable it makes no sense to upgrade the operating system.

Question: The hardware is acceptable, I can live without the questionable applications, and I still want to upgrade. What now?
Answer: Think about it for another day or two.

Question: I thought about it and I still want to upgrade. What now?
Answer: Review the list of applications that appeared on your Upgrade Advisor list. Uninstall each and every one of them using their uninstall routines. Don’t fall into the trap of thinking that if you leave one little program XP won’t notice and run fine. At the same time, review all the compatible programs and if they are unused or you really don’t need them any longer, get rid of them also. Now is also the time to get rid of old files, documents, spreadsheets, presentations, and anything else that tends to mount up over time and never be referenced. Less is better when you are upgrading. Reboot the machine to allow any uninstall routines to complete fully.

Once the purging has been completed, run Disk Defragmenter on the drive where XP will be installed. There will be quite a bit of non-contiguous space if you removed a lot of files and programs. Disk Defragmenter should be a part of your regular routine, but it’s especially important when upgrading to prepare the drive for the new operating system.

Back up all your data. Hopefully, you have some type of organizational system so your data files are all in one place. If not, go through every program and ferret out the data that’s essential you keep. Whatever method you use for data backup, the most important aspect of backing up is to verify the integrity of the backup. The time to check it is not when you need the backup, but when you don’t.

Make a fresh copy of your current operating system boot disk or Emergency Repair Disk. Hopefully you won’t need them, but a current copy is preferable to one that is outdated, and having none at all should never be an option.

Question: This is a lot more trouble than I thought it was going to be. When do I upgrade?
Answer: Patience. We’re almost ready. Two more things and then it’s time to upgrade.

Do you know where all the original installation CD’s are for your current system? That includes the operating system, applications, and any other CD or diskette that you used to bring your system to its current state. If not, locate them now and have them ready just in case something goes wrong – terribly, terribly wrong.

Finally, close all running applications. Check the notification area (by the clock, on the taskbar) to make sure nothing remains open, especially any anti-virus applications. They are notorious for causing problems with an upgrade. Microsoft Messenger, printer utilities, and firewall applications are others to make sure you have closed.

Once you are satisfied everything is ready, think about it one more time and if you’re sure, insert the Windows XP CD and close the tray. If AutoRun is enabled, the Setup Wizard will launch and you are on your way. If AutoRun is disabled, navigate to the i386 directory on the Windows XP CD and click setup.exe.

That’s it. Follow the prompts and hope for the best. The steps above, carefully and thoroughly performed, will ensure you the best possible chance for a successful upgrade of your current operating system.

Notice from Dooga:

Edited by Dooga (see edit history)

And one thing too, DO NOT COPY AND PAST AN ARTICLE. Do a quote instead or it will be ranked as spam. Thats what admin told me too.

If you cant explain an article you can also do a lik instead like this: Upgrading to Windows XP - REAL ARTICLE PAGE

I dont want you to get banned for spam or something but dont do that and maybe the admin warn you now or ban you.

Sad for you now... :huh:

One of the computers I use has Windows Me (don't laugh...I got it free through some "resources" and I haven't had any major problems with it). I'm tempted to get a new (or newer computer) once I'm in the market for one. Upgrading to Windows XP on one of my machines would not make sense. It has 64 MB RAM with 2.1 gig hard drive. Running XP on that would just make it even more sluggish. Heck, it's getting kinda slow as it is.

I thank all members for bumping this page. If not, I wouldn't have noticed the copied article. Next time, try reporting these articles. Your identity is always kept anonymous, so do not be afraid to use the Report button if you find spam or copyrighted material.

Edited by Dooga (see edit history)

yyou gys could just create partitions and store your important files on a regular formatted one, and the windows is on the C:\ drive which is about 7GB (for windows xp SP2), thats what i do!

198322[/snapback]

YES!!! I do this as well, but on 5 gb everthing fits ok - just depends on how many progs you have. On my laptop, the c: partition is only 2.5Gb!

The other advantage to this is that you can restore (I use Ghost, it's the best) your partition without affecting other files. About once a month I restore this partition (5min), and my system runs like it did at the time I completed the install. NO degradation due to registry clutter, EVER.

One of the computers I use has Windows Me (don't laugh...I got it free through some "resources" and I haven't had any major problems with it). I'm tempted to get a new (or newer computer) once I'm in the market for one. Upgrading to Windows XP on one of my machines would not make sense. It has 64 MB RAM with 2.1 gig hard drive. Running XP on that would just make it even more sluggish. Heck, it's getting kinda slow as it is.

198339[/snapback]

Upgrade your HD on eBay to 6-10gb, with patience that will cost you less than 20 bucks with shipping (make sure to only buy from sellers with 98,6% positive feedback, and at least 50 or so total score). Also for well under 20 bucks you can add 128Mb RAM. For maybe 35 bucks, with shipping, you should be able to do those two upgrades. If you have a desktop, then even less (I assumed you had a laptop and checked some auctions closing right now). Then read this thread (to start) http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ - you don't have to buy a new computer no matter what anyone says, with patience and a can do spirit you can get decent performance out of anthing made in the last 8 years or so and have fun doing it! If you can afford a new computer, great. But if money's tight, don't buy that crap about how it's cheaper to buy new than to upgrade. The older the machine, the less that is true (because the upgrades themselves are almost in zero demand - who buys 128mb ram these days?).

With those two upgrades, you can run XP on your system. I would also look at mirror sites for blackviper.com (the site is down right now), and apply his services configuration. Make sure you have all updates to BIOS and drivers.

Good luck!

With those two upgrades, you can run XP on your system.  I would also look at mirror sites for blackviper.com (the site is down right now), and apply his services configuration.  Make sure you have all updates to BIOS and drivers.

Good luck!

202973[/snapback]

Just one quick follow up to my last post. I can make XP install on your system as it is right now, but you will have no room for programs. But with 6gb, (which I have on my laptop, along with 64mb ram AND XP), you have room for XP AND you can install Microsoft Office, and a small but good selection of programs (including utilities/AV/firewall). And with more RAM it will run faster, no doubt, but with 64 it will run about the way it does right now probably (slow, but tolerable).

I agree with the "always do a clean install" stuff. I understand that some average computer user may not be capable of transfering their files and format a drive, and it's not very bad if that person does not use the computer a lot.But if you are one of those people who use the computer a lot, but whose skills is still average. I suggest you read guides online or ask for a knowledgeable friend's help.A clean install is well worth the trouble. Also, when purchasing a Windows XP disk, buy the Windows XP Full Version; don not buy Windows XP Upgrade disk.With a Windows XP Full Version disk, you will be able to install Windows XP on a new or freshly-formated hard drive, which is very convenient according to my experiences.Good Luck.

My recomondation is just remember to NOT use integrated graphics and have 256MB of ram or more. It will run almost PERFECTLY.