xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
sujith

Integrating Xp With Sp2 Slip atreaming XP

Slipstreamed Windows XP CD Using SP2
Whenever a new version of a service pack for XP is released I always run it through the slipstreaming procedure to see if everything works as expected. Service Pack 2 (SP2) is the latest release so it was time for another round of testing. For those of you that have a copy of SP2 and want to give it a try the procedure I used is presented below. I experienced absolutely no problems with the procedure based on an original Gold Edition XP Professional CD. The slipstreamed CD booted and installed perfectly to a freshly formatted hard drive.

Building Directories
The first step is to build a directory structure to hold the files that will be used in the CD creation process. It's a simple structure, requiring nothing more than a few folders. It doesn't matter what names you use for your folders or where you locate them on your hard drive, but most users find drive C the easiest. I created the folders shown below, located on Drive C, and used the XP- prefix for each one so they would all be located together for easy access. Create whatever folders you are comfortable with or use the ones below if you want to copy and paste commands later in the tutorial.

XP
XP-SP2
XP-BootImage

Copying and Extracting Files
The first step is to insert the Windows XP CD and copy the entire contents into the XP folder or the equivalent folder in your structure.
Before copying the XP CD make sure that the system is set to display all hidden and system files to ensure a complete copy of all files on the CD. The settings to control what files are visible are located in Windows Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > View tab. Make sure [show hidden files and folders] radio button is selected and [Hide protected operating system files] is unchecked.

The second step is to navigate to where you downloaded the Service Pack 2 file. If you downloaded SP2 from Microsoft it will most likely be named WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe. Copy the file to the XP-SP2 folder if it wasn't downloaded there initially.
Use the Run dialogue shown below to extract the contents of SP2.
The Run dialogue box is accessed from [start] [Run]
The command to begin the extraction is: C:\XP-SP2\WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe -x

The prompt for where to store the extracted files shown above will open. I used the default C:\XP-SP2 but again, you can choose an alternate location if you wish.

Updating The Windows Share
Apply the extracted Service Pack to Windows XP files in the XP folder that were copied in the first step using the [Run] dialogue box.

The Run dialogue box is accessed from [start] [Run]
The command to apply the Service Pack is: C:\XP-SP2\i386\Update\Update.exe -S:C:\XP

As shown below, Service Pack 2 is being integrated into the Windows installation folder.

Successful completion of the integration process.

Extract the Imaging File

In order to make a slipstreamed CD bootable it's necessary to add an image file during the burning process. You need to extract the file Microsoft Corporation.img and save it to a folder. For my testing I just created a XP-BootImage folder on the C:\ drive. There are a number of ways to perform the extraction but the easiest is to use ISO Buster.

With the Windows XP CD in your CD drive, open ISO Buster. Click on Bootable CD in the left pane then right click Microsoft Corporation.img in the right pane, finally clicking Extract Microsoft Corporation.img file.

Extract the file to the C:\XP-BootImage folder previously created or your equivalent.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With the preparation out of the way it's time to actually burn the CD. There are a number of different burning or CD creation programs that can be used to accomplish this task. I've included instructions here for Easy CD and DVD Creator 6 by Roxio and another set of instructions for Nero Burning ROM 6-SE. While the terminology and screens may vary depending on your CD burning program choice and version, the principles remain the same and can be easily adapted no matter what burning software is being used. Click on the burning instructions of choice below.

IF YOU ARE INTERASTED VIISIT MY BLOG AT
ALIENEYES