xisto Community
zootycoongold

Winrar Or Winzip?

i use both of them because winzip is easy to compress file usually,for instance,when we deliver a file document,the swiftest compressing way is winzip only move files to zip file;winrar is powerful to do anything concerned with compressing.certainly we can set password to our private file if we donot hope it to be public,winrar is appropriate to need the demand;we can delete some un-deleted file one time through winrar.

I like winrar better because it can extract .zip files, and .rar files while winzip cant. And winrar also could extract cab files and so on. The only lack of winrar is the .rar type is license (or what is called like that), so no other freeware developer (except winrar agree) could develop software to compress in rar type. And if other rar extractor exist they must have agreement with winrar, and so it probably need to buy the product (not freeware), but i never heard one

I've always found that winrar is a very obtrusive program that hassles you with unnecessary burdens. I never use it anymore.Instead, I use 7zip. Then install file is smaller, it's a painless process. The program itself can imbed itself in context menus so that you can zip or unzip files by right clicking and going to the very handy menu.Since I found it, I have never used anything else.

WinRAR is a tool that is used to create and decompress RAR archives (Roshal ARchive). RAR format takes longer to compress files than ZIP format but offer better compression.

Features of RAR are,

* Handle Split Volumes

* Provides Recovery Record to recover data from a damaged archive.

* Better Encryption

WinZip is a tool to compress and decompress files or folders. Its compression ratio is lesser than that of RAR and 7z format. It doesn't have recovery records.

Zip is quite popular and supported by almost all popular compression/decompression softwares.

WinRAR reads the following formats,

* ZIP, TAR, GZ, BZ/BZ2, 7z, RAR, LHA, ACE, ARJ, CAB, ISO/CD Image

WinZip reads the following formats,

* ZIP, TAR, GZ, BZ/BZ2, RAR, LHA, ARJ, ARC, CAB

WinRAR writes in the following formats,

* ZIP, RAR

WinZip writes in the following formats,

* ZIP, ARC

WinRAR Costs - $29 - http://www.rarlab.com/

WinZip Costs - $29.95, $49.95(Pro) - http://www.winzip.de/

Choose the right tool based on the formats that you are gonna use.

I used to use winzip for ages!But i reformated my pc and got winrar instead to test it out and found it much easier and better to use.Its also very lightweight so will not have any effect on your pc whatsoever but i guess these programs ought to be small.

I've used WinZip, WinAce and WinRar in the past. Now I'm just using WinRar because I don't need anything else.It would have been nice to have a poll in this topic. I think WinRar would have easily won.

I prefer WinRAR personally as it have much accurate compression and less chance on getting corrupted. On rare occasions, i use Winzip when the person i want the file to be transferred to never heard of WinRAR.

winrar, winzip or 7-zipWinrar Or Winzip?

Single File Compression, Multiple Files, File size difference and compression time between WinRar, Winzip and 7-Zip.

Single File CompressionFile Size Difference: WinRar > Winzip > 7-ZipCompression Time: Winzip > 7-Zip > WinRarMultiple Files CompressionFile Size Difference: 7-Zip > WinRar > WinzipCompression Time: Winzip > 7-Zip > WinRarhttp://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

-reply by TechMata

Ok, I've been asking this all over the internet but is WinRar better than WinZip or the other way around? Posted Image

( Hope this is in right forum! )

WinRAR is obviously better than WinZip, because it can open more file types

unlike WinZip, it can only open .zip files

Winrar is better than Winzip. There is limitation on some webservers that they can not compress/decompress winrar but compress/decompress winzip/tar.So for locally file I use winrar and for online use I use winzip.