xisto Community
zootycoongold

Winrar Or Winzip?

both work fine winrar has the better advantage of opening up more stuff but i tend to like winzip better, best thing to do is download both of them and try them out and see which one is better.

If people don't mind me saying this, but I find that Winzip and Winrar aren't the best decompressors existing. I personally use a very good program called "Power Archiver" and it can use all the files that winrar can use, plus I believe, more than 10 more. (Also includes the HIGH COMPRESSION new 7z extension which can make a 50MB file shrink to 5MB... I'm not sure if that's true though)http://www.powerarchiver.com/
You should really check it out.

I have been using Winrar for a long time, had winzip before wirar came in...Winrar is fast and handles more file type. There are a few other features like creating and saving profiles(i.e. settings) which I dont think is possible in winzip.Another useful feature is "Encrypt file names" i.e, when setting password to a .rar file, if this option is checked, the user will not be able to view even the filename in the compressed file. In case of .zip, the filenames are visible but only cannot be opened.I have not used power archiver, wud try is sometime... but winrar serves all my compression needs to my satisfaction so no worries...Cheers

If you're looking for compression levels and overall performance then winrar is probably a good choice. If you're looking for compatability for users, I'd use Winzip. Winzip is by far the most popular form of file compression on the net. So if you're making a compressed file to share with other people, use Winzip. IF the compressed file is for yourself, use Winrar. I am of course talking about the different compression formats, not the programs themselves.

i use both of them because winzip is easy to compress file usually,for instance,when we deliver a file document,the swiftest compressing way is winzip only move files to zip file;winrar is powerful to do anything concerned with compressing.certainly we can set password to our private file if we donot hope it to be public,winrar is appropriate to need the demand;we can delete some un-deleted file one time through winrar.

WinZip is more modern i think, but that doensn't matter, cus WinRar kan open more files, i would definitely choose that one, but of course you have to choose yourself.....

I prefer using Winrar since it can open as well the winzip compressed files. i even made winrar the default program to open those zip files. But there are times when winzip is very useful, like when I am uploading compressed files at my Trap 17 webhost account. I tried uploading Rar file but Cpanel can uncomppressed them, this is the time when I go to the Winzip.

I use WinRAR because more people use it. I've downloaded a bunch of files that needed WinRAR to open, and I found that WinZip will not open it. Plus, WinRAR is more universal because it can open not only .rar and .zip but also .ace and so much more.

What I personal think that winrar is better than winzip because winrar has the ability to open most of the compressed files...and everyone knows that RAR is getting popular and most people give downloads mostly in RAR files only.now dooga has mentioned about 7z and says that 50 mb can be compressed till 5 mb....if that is true than I am sure that this 7z extension..i mean compression utility will also become popular very fast....but the makers of it will have to take right steps in this case.Till the time I get more reviews about this 7z thingy...i am sticking with winrar because not only its light on memory..it has a nice and simple interface as well....it just works like explorer and everyone of use familiar with explorer. :huh: