xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
JC05

School Paper Of Engines

This is something I had to do in school. I thought some of you might enjoy reading it. I really like Engines and want to take a course in it. Tell me what you think. The title gives it away.

History of the Gasoline and Diesel Engine.
1885 was when Gottlieb Daimler invented a gasoline engine. In 1894, Rudolf Diesel filed a patent for his new invention named, the Diesel Engine. Rudolf was almost killed by his new engine when it exploded. His engine was the first that proved an engine could be started with-out a spark! He operated his first successful engine in 1897. In the year 1898, Rudolf Diesel was able to get his patent, (#608,845) for his internal combustion engine, the Diesel engine. There are two kinds of engines. Gasoline and Diesel. There are a couple differences between a gasoline and diesel engine. A gasoline engine will compresses the mixture at a ratio of 8:1 to 12:1, but a diesel engine will compresses the air at a ratio of 14:1 to 25:1. The higher compression ratio of a diesel engine will make it more efficient. Also a gas engine takes in a mixture of air and gas, and then it compresses and then uses a spark to ignite it. The spark is formed by the spark plug which is connected to the battery of the Car, Motor cycle, ECT. A Diesel engine takes in just a mixture of air. Then compresses it and then it injects the fuel into the compressed air. A gasoline engine usually uses either carburetion or fuel injection. Carburetion is where the air and fuel is mixed a long time before the air enters the cylinder. Fuel injection is where: The fuel is injected just prior to the intake stroke (outside the cylinder). Diesel engines use direct fuel injection -- the diesel fuel is injected directly into the cylinder. Note that the diesel engine has no spark plug, that it intakes air and compresses it, and that it then injects the fuel directly into the combustion chamber (direct injection). It is the heat of the compressed air that lights the fuel in a diesel engine. The gasoline engine is in most cars today. Some cars though, are made with diesel engines. Most semi trucks are made with Diesel engines because they have far more power then Gasoline. This is why they are used in Submarines, Locomotives, Farm Equipment, Generators, and ECT. Gasoline engines come in all shapes and sizes. There are two kinds of small gas engines: Horizontal shaft and Vertical shaft. You would most likely find a horizontal shaft engine on a Go-cart, dirt bike, or motor cycle. A vertical shaft would be found on a Push-mower, riding lawn mower, or out board motor. You can also determine the power of the engine by either ccs (cubic centimeters) or hp (horsepower). So1hp=15-17cc. There are lots of different kinds of sizes in ccs. In motor cycles and Dirt bikes. In dirt bikes for instance, the sizes range from 49cc to 250cc. But in motor cycles, the size is a lot bigger. From about 1000cc and up to around 4000-5000cc. And so concludes the story of the Gasoline and Diesel Engine. To read more go to:
http://inventors.about.com/od/cstartinventions/a/Car_History.htm OR,
http://www.convert-me.com/en/bb/viewtopic.php?p=4517& OR, =)
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/diesel1.htm
Rudolf Diesel (1858 - 1913)
Gottlieb Daimler (1834-1900)

Dosn't anyone have anything to say? I thought this was pretty good! And it took a while to put together! PLZ, someone say something! anything! I want to know if you think it's good.