xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
zach101

Browser Setings? / Location

Hey guys im making a site and i was wondering how do i make it so that it opens into a specific size? not a link from my site but the actual index file. I found this site and i think its on the right track but dint tottally work for what im doing because they just tellyou how to open a link in a specific size and not your actual index file any help would be awesome

link: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I don't think there's anyway that you can open the site directly to suit in a specific size. An alternative, you may try making a splash page as the index with a "ENTER" link or something related. Thereafter the visitor clicks the "ENTER" link, a new window will open according to your size specified.

Hey Zach! If you are using Macromedia Dreamweaver you can make use of the behaviors panel there to create the JavaScript to open a new window for your index page.Find the Behaviors Panel > Add behavior > Open new window (or something like that...can't remember and this isn't my pc :D ) . You only have to change the EVENT (also in the behaviors panel) to 'onLoad' so that when you type in the address bar, your site will automatically open in a new window.If you're not using Dreamweaver you can code the javascript yourself and just change the EVENT to onLoad then assign it to the javascript function that opens the new window like onLoad="openNewWindow();" . That's basically the principle behind it.I hope this helped.. :ph34r:

well both of your guyses ideas helped what i was thinking was perhaps making an intro page with a meta in the head to have it after five seconds auto load the new window so that could work but still id like to not have an intro page and just load directly into the main thing however no unfortunatly im not using Dream Weaver :ph34r: so do i put that java script in the head or the body of the index file? could u write out the actual code for me so all id have to do is change the dimensions ? thanks for the help guys

What you want are mostly being used in a pop-up window. I haven't tried this but i have some in mind that its a matter of code. Just use that pop-up code in your index page maybe it will work.If its works....tell me how. lol!

Make a blank index page and place the code inside:Just change the url for your mainpage and the size of the page.place this code inside <head> tag:<script language="JavaScript">function PopWindow() { var Url = "yourwebsite.com/tag/htm/;; var WindowWidth = 200; var WindowHeight = 200; var WindowTop = (screen.availHeight/2) - (WindowHeight/2); var WindowLeft = (screen.availWidth/2) - (WindowWidth/2); var WindowProps = 'toolbar=0,location=0,status=0,menubar=0,scrollbars=0,resizable,width='+WindowWidth+',height='+WindowHeight+',left='+WindowLeft+',top='+WindowTop+',screenx='+WindowLeft+',screeny='+WindowTop; PoppedWindow = window.open(Url,"PoppedWindow",WindowProps);}</script>Place this code onLoad="PopWindow();" inside your <body> taglike this:<body onLoad="PopWindow();">Test it. i dont recommend this one coz you'll be no where to find in search engines if you use this.Do far this only i can help. LOL!Maybe other guys there can incorporate on this idea.

okay bonnie thanks so much for that and i might still use it however i was thinking of doing something like haveing an intro page and then meta loading to my main one however i was wondering what is the matter with this code here: <META HTTP-EQUIV="REFRESH" CONTENT="6; URL=testing.html" widt = 400, height =600> now thats in my heading tag but when it goes over to the new page its not resizing the browser any ideas why?

I dunno about anyone else, but I personally HATE it when I visit a site and it resizes my browser without asking me or without opening in a new pop-up window. I use Firefox with a lot of tabs open at the full width of my screen - I DON'T WANT someone screwing around with the orientation of my browser. It's like me coming over to your house and moving your furniture around.Why do you need to have the browser window at a certain size anyway?