xisto Community
sonyguy

Largest Known Prime Number A very long number...

hmm.. what if i got a no. like thisstart with 1end with 1in between are all 0?it can be like 10000000000001 or 1000000000000000000001 or anything. But its hard to prove its a prime no. thou, I will have to divide this new no. by all the prime no.!

Actually, no hands were included in the process of calculating the prime number. The computation were done by computation all by themselves. If I am not mistaken this was done by using parallel computing from different computers.This project was just like SETI@home! You just stand there look and wait for something to happen....Imagine if all the next-generation consoles like xBox360, ps3, and Wii connected to a public WAN to compute for the largest prime. Wouldn't that be amazing? :lol:

Wow, that seems great! Sometimes I wonder who would really fiqure out prime number to such large scale. What would this do for math, just make it more confusing? I mean, its infinite, unless something runs on only prime numbers, its good to have =]. Personally, I wouldn't even think of spending that much time for the 100,000.

You dont need to try every odd number. There's some formulas to determine prime numbers. but none of them is really good with large numbers.For example, to "try out" a number, you just have to see if it is a multiple of another prime number untill you reach it's square root. Quite simple, inst it?I coded a program myself to determine prime numbers, actually the biggest i got was 11 digits large. I'm feeling that i'll get into 10millions digits very soon hahahaha!Some friends i have over the internet, here in Brazil, are working in a project to determine the biggest prime number. They are very competent people, but i doubt that they'll come out with something.

Well, I couldn't find a topic I was really interested in, so I thought I would post on something comletely useless...
The world's largest known prime number is actually 7,816,230 digits long, so I'm not going to type it all out, but the 'Mersenne number' is 225,964,951 1.

It was discovered by the Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search (GIMPS), a distributed network of volunteers using their spare computer power to find the largest Mersenne primes. This system actually discovered the eight largest prime numbers known.

And, if you must, you can actually buy a poster of the number (but it's so small on the paper that you need something that magnifies it). Check it out here.

PS.
If you can find a prime number which has 10 million or more digits then you can have $100,000 from The Electronic Frontier Foundation. So if you'd like a good life, get a career in prime numbers :P

wow :D $100,000 !
great...

ahh a bunch of geeks with nothing else better to do.. now that this is known, what good does it do for us.. Can anyone tell, does this affect us does it bring in more income, does it stop world hunger or aids... probaably a big NO to all.. but thnx for sharing the info.

Thats loong.... woah i never knew it ould be that long. I cannt count to 204 let alone that big number. Wow numbers are very weird, why do we even need a number that is such big and such wide as the one presneted. What is the purpose for such number, what does ut cure drug disease, or drug addicitions?

HAHA to come up with such number would be really a hectick job first of all u really need a power computer second a good brain to keep track and it's not easy to do something like that! I would say it's not impossible but it's hard!

This sounds just like the prog called supper "pi"(3.14159264....)
It starts at 3.14 and that it's gone calculating after 2milion numbers my pc crashes.....
but you guys(with a strong pc)can try super pi:

In order to calculate 33.55 million digits, it takes within 3 days with Pentium 90MHz,40MB main memory and 340MB available storage.

so with a great pc it would get to the 40.00 million in 3 days :P

here is a link to the site:
http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=36

Greetz( to all females, i'm available...)
Styno

Edited by the ipc (see edit history)

It would be nice to have $100,000. It makes me wonder, though, why someone would pay to know a prime number. What use does it have?I once heard the government paid for those large numbers. Hmm, what would they do with it?If you did bring these people a number that you claimed was a 10 million digit prime number, how would they know if you were telling the truth if they can't get it themselves?

now thats a pay check i wouldn't mind getting every 2 weeks, but i would think the number will be larger if you just put a 1 as the last number no way you can divide it so thats the solution right their.

technically your logic is right but the solution is wrong because 21 ends in 1 and its divisiable by 3 so alot of numbers ending in 1 would be divisable by 3 so ;)

I would like that poster, it's kinda neat. My girlfriend called me a nerd for it, ahah.I'm going to ask one of my professors to help me get that $100,000.Anyone of you tried to find it? We can work together, lol. ;)

Lol, I suck at Prime numbers. I don't get them. I don't get what is a prime number, and I don't get why they are so special. It would be pretty cool to get some cash to find out one though :unsure:. Could someone explain to me what a prime number is :(. Math isn't a strong point of mine.

WOW that crazzy... the poster just looks grey lol.... i thought they kept them numbers secret and they used them for encrypting thing... like because makes them impossible to crack...hmm i plan on doing some thing.. that i herd that stick a server on peoples computers... evry onces.. and then u can make a super computer that uses evry 1 wiht the server/virus on there coputers cpu that they arnt using and make a masive super computer then using that to make the biggest prime number.. and get the moneymwahhaha