xisto Community
sonyguy

Largest Known Prime Number A very long number...

Well, I couldn't find a topic I was really interested in, so I thought I would post on something comletely useless...

The world's largest known prime number is actually 7,816,230 digits long, so I'm not going to type it all out, but the 'Mersenne number' is 225,964,951 1.

It was discovered by the Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search (GIMPS), a distributed network of volunteers using their spare computer power to find the largest Mersenne primes. This system actually discovered the eight largest prime numbers known.

And, if you must, you can actually buy a poster of the number (but it's so small on the paper that you need something that magnifies it). Check it out here.

PS.
If you can find a prime number which has 10 million or more digits then you can have $100,000 from The Electronic Frontier Foundation. So if you'd like a good life, get a career in prime numbers :ph34r:

wat about 1 with 10 million zeros

189851[/snapback]

Well that wouldn't be a prime number haha. but nice try

A prime number has to be divisible only my 1 and itself

I bet my Mac could come up with that number in no time flat muahhaah

I bet my Mac could come up with that number in no time flat muahhaah

189876[/snapback]

Yeah right...

PS.

If you can find a prime number which has 10 million or more digits then you can have $100,000 from The Electronic Frontier Foundation. So if you'd like a good life, get a career in prime numbers :ph34r:

189819[/snapback]

Well, $100,000 is alot for only one thing. However, I think it would cost you more to try to find out that number... And lots of time too, you could earn all that money normally instead of trying to find out a high number.

now thats a pay check i wouldn't mind getting every 2 weeks, but i would think the number will be larger if you just put a 1 as the last number no way you can divide it so thats the solution right their.

now thats a pay check i wouldn't mind getting every 2 weeks

More like EVERY week :ph34r:

Well, $100,000 is alot for only one thing. However, I think it would cost you more to try to find out that number... And lots of time too, you could earn all that money normally instead of trying to find out a high number.

That's probably true... unfortunately :D
Just too bad that my computer can't do it...

ahahaha thats awsome. My elementary school teacher always said that prime numbers could'nt be that big. Only if I had her number right now. Man thats just crazy I dont know how people would even check that. What if the computer made a little tiny mistake. Would we have the brain power to ever really know? Anyways that was interesting, and its great to know my teacher was wrong on this. She always thought she was so smart. lol cheers

you say its useless however its actually pretty neat i like the fact that technology has come so far as to know that. and no really if you put a 1 at the end it doesnt matter because 11 times 11 is 121 so therefore putting a 1 on the end doesnt really do too much. anywayz im in calc and thats something that i'd like to bring up to my teacher is just that fact that technology has come so far as to realize this...as for a computer making a mistake....for them to prove that something like that is true and to get the actual number they would have to have a really high powered computer and very advanced and im sure that it would have been tested many times over. so if someone has actually proved it and it was in an article...granted you cant trust everything now a days...but still if it was somwhere that u know is credible it was tested a lot of times to make sure that it is true. i still think that its really cool though thank you for the info!

if thats the case with 11x11 then it would mean that the number posted is divisable then by 11 and another number but unless the -1 throws it off a bit then I'm out of ideas then.

Well then I think that some people have way too much time on their hands. LOL I mean really what the heck do you do with such a large prime number. LOL