xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
andrescasta

Problems At Boot Time

After installing a new 2.8 GHZ P4 my computer will not boot. All fans spin but no POST. Another interesting fact is that my CD-ROM will not power up either (works on my old 333mhz system though).Reading around I've learned that the problem is either:1)mother board2)CPU3)PSUI have tried it with a brand new MB but no success, still no POST. Is it possible that my cheap 425watt PSU will not generate enough power for this new CPU (even though it successfully powered my 2GHZ celeron)?Unfortunately, the pins on the older Celeron got bent so I cannot test with this.What I have tried so far:- reseating all devices (CPU, RAM, etc..)- reseting CMOS- made sure all jumpers are corectly set- removing all devices except CPU and fans (no beep when RAM is removed)- brand new mother boardandrescasta

Man you have done a smart job reading up on this!I think I'll take door #3. Do you have a way to test another psu?Or can you straighten the pins out on the celeron?You've got x'lnt trouble shooting, just missing a few steps..Is the new cpu being installed on the same MoBo as the celeron?G'Luckkservice

The only other PSU I've got is a 325watt. I've tried to fix the pins on the Celeron, they're just so damn small.Yes, the new CPU has been tried on the same Mother Board as the old Celereon. Also, on a brand new Mother Board.Thanks for the quick response!andrescasta

That they are! As long as they don't break off it can be done butthat does not help with the current prob.What model MoBo?If the 350w works it could be useful to rule in or out the other psu.kservice

If your CD drive will not power up I would say it was the PSU. Normally when you switch a computer on the CD drive whizzes for a while then stops, so this sounds like a lack of power.

my first guess would be your PSU. only because the cd drive isnt getting any power, i would definately jump up in your watts for you PSU. Are their any other devices getting power...? anything showing that it has "some" power but not enough to work.....

if a celeron procesor dont shows on the desktop the right number of mhz it could be a problem by the bios.on an old motherboard the bios has not the latest drivers of a procesor and in this case you shoukd go to the web site of the motherboard and do a bios flash (bios upgrade)

Hi andrescasta,It's going to be impossible to flash the BIOS if you can't get the critter to even power up the CD..etc.If the fan on the power supply is turning it's probably not the PSU. Check the "compatibility" (ie spec sheet) of the MB with the new CPU..some CPUs will fit but just won't work with certain MBs. Next, make sure you don't have a grounding short on the MB because you forgot to put the little metal MB support washers back in or installed them incorrectly. Did you use thermal contact paste to install the new CPU?? If all that still doesn't solve the problem..then it's possible that the new CPU is damaged/ defective.Hope this helpsGood luckRGPHNX :ph34r:

powers up once external power is applied

Problems At Boot Time

Hoping someone can help me. When I switch on the external power the tower tries to start. This before I even press the power button on the tower. Tried a new power supply unit and didnt fix it. Any idea's?

Cheers

-question by confused

computer wants to boot from flopyProblems At Boot TimeI have a older gateway p-3 it want boot from cd it wants a flopy disk xp I only have a cd I have replaced 3 cd players 2 harddrives jumpers bio changed to cd first /hd second no luck turnd flopy off reset bios factory I need help bad I am new I am doing somthing wrong I have 2 computers same problem wants to boot from drive A what do I do-reply by CHARLES BLANCHARD LEWIS