xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
GeT HeXD

What Is The Difference Between Phpbb, Ipb, And Vb? Check inside for those who need to know.

phpBB:-Good for the begginner.-Easy to manage.-Very modable.-Written easily.-Free.Invision Power Board:-More for intermediate webmasters.-Lots of mods.-A little complicated to manage.-Not legally free unless given via IPB host.vBulletin:-Experts only.-Some mods.-Not legally free anywhere.-Pretty hard to manage.

Those are pretty good descriptions I myself would say that phpBB is an all around good board. You can use it for a small commuity or a large community. Also, I think you can also get older versions of Invision Power Board legally (the 1.x's) but I would ask some more people around the board before using the 1.x's for your forum because what if I am wrong.

Nice descriptions mate.

Another thing that I would add is IntegraMod. I have seen that around more and more often.
I found out that it is a spinoff of PHPBB that adds a load more modules and functionality to the regular PHPBB forums. They have calendars, picture forums all that good stuff. Its also very easy to use as it is based off of the regular style PHPBB.

Oh and did i mention that its completly free like phpBB =)

Thought I would throw that stuff in cuz it puzzled me a bit haha.

Cheers

I just use SMF, it is a great board and has a very dedicated community that is growing rapidly.If you're old and grumpy like me you will remember the days when bulletin boards used CGI and you didn't need a php + mysql webserver to run them... the days of YaBB - Yet Another Bulletin Board. SMF is a completly redesigned BB from the makers of YaBB. So they have experience :ph34r:

Vbulletin > IPB > PHPBBAlthough I never actually used a VBulletin board, I know its way better than all the others. IPB is just plain awesome. Although, if you mess things up, it could be disasterous. PHPBB is just strange. The first time I used it, It look foreign to me but I overlooked the simplicity of it.