xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
xadoflitan

Replacing A Floppy Drive In Your Pc

Hi,Im going to teach you how to replace a Floppy drive in a PC. It just takes a few simple steps to do this, it is really not that hard. You can trust me since I have an a+ certification in computer hardware and software. I know what I am doing, I am an expert.1. First of all, you need to shut off your computer. To do this press the power button on the front of the computer after you have shut it down from Start> Shutdown on your start menu.2. Unplug the power cord from your computer. This is the big black/white/grey plug that plugs into the power supply on the back of your PC.3. Unplug the rest of the wires from the back of the computer.4. Find a sturdy flat surface on which to work on.5. Unscrew all screws from the back of your computer except the power supply screws. You will make a mess if you unscrew the power supply screws.6. Open your computer up by taking the side panel off, or sliding the cover off. It might be difficult but it will come off if you have taken all the screws out.5. Now before touching anything inside, it is a good idea to hook up to an anti-static wrist strap. If you dont have an anti-static wrist strap, just touch the side of the computer where it is metal to deshock yourself. Then when you touch the inner components you wont risk damaging any of them.7. Find the Floppy drive, it should be about 1 inch thick 4 inches wide, and 5 inches long. Unplug all plugs from the back of the floppy drive, there should be a wide floppy cable, and a power plug.8. Once you find the Floppy, find the screws holding it onto the chassis. unscrew those screws on both sides of the Floppy drive. Be careful not to unscrew any screws holding the floppy drive together. 9. Now, you just have to remove the Floppy drive, carefully by sliding it either forward or backward.10. Now that you've removed the floppy drive the next step is to install your new floppy drive. To do this, simply slide the floppy drive in from the front of the computer, drivebay facing forward. Plug all the plugs back into the floppy and screw everything back into place.Thats it , you're done!Xad

Would this have not been better for the Tuts section? and isn't there already one anyway?Few points to remember if you are going to try this. DO NOT bend the pins, your old floppy drive could still be used. With your new floppy make sure you get the 'wider' cable plugged in the correct way or you could end yourself in big trouble on BOOT.