xisto Community
wild20

Halloween And Christians Its origin and, should we celebrate it?

I find no other topic better to discuss than this. I tried to post it in religious, but alas, you guys don't have a religious section. *Hint* I decided to just post it here. Feel free to move it. So anyway, I will discuss with you what I learned.

It's origins:
Halloween originated from Ireland and Scotland. It was celebrated by the celts for the end of summer. Suring this time, it seems a lot of "darkness" was incorporated into this day. The people believed that the dead were wandering around as spirits looking to whom they could possess. The people would dress up in costumes to scare away the spirits. Pretty dumb.

When the Catholic church came into play, they turned Halloween into honoring the saints of the church, called "All Saints Day". I personally consider this somewhat of worshiping the dead, just beacuse the bible says that the dead can't know anything, so why honor them?

Back to the point, two days afterward, people would go out into the street and go from door to door, getting little cakes and in return, would pray for a dead person of the family's choice. Why? Because back then, people thought that the dead weren't either saved or unsaved basically, and that preayers would alter the ultimate destiny of that person. Of course, we know that when the dead die, their fate is sealed, and that they stay in the ground until Jesus comes again. This is most likely where trick or treat came from. Now on to the next part.

Should we, as Christians, take part in this day?:
The answer is quite simple. It consists of two words and sounds something like this: NO. No? That is right. Here is what the bible says:

Deut. 18:10-12, "Let no one be found among you who sacrifices his son or daughter in the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft, 11 or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead. 12 Anyone who does these things is detestable to the LORD"

There you have it, Halloween is a day that had spiritualism ground into it. I believe we are not to take part in this. After all, it says it is:

detestable to the LORD

I would also like to say that pumpkin carving came from people, carving faces into turnips ans making them glow with a candle in order to welcome in their deceased loved ones. It also served to scare away the evil spirits. But to a Christian, this is actually welcoming them!

I would like your opinions on this matter. Halloween is, by the bible's teachings, a "detestable" practice. Why do it? Can anyone reasonably back a claim that says we are to do this as Christians? I would like to hear from you. I look forward to your replies. God bless you all,
-Wild20

and let me guess you want the prayer in school ten commandments out of courts and in god we trust taken off the currency as well?its a holiday dude its people like you that ruin everyones fun, hell if the catholics didn't want the holiday to exsist then they would had made sure of that back in the day well they didn't, let everyone enjoy being dead and what that passage is referring to which mind you was most likly added during the 1100-1700's was the practice of pagenism and not follow the christan path (the withc burnings and all that stuff).but it brings to point why people are not trying to erase holidays just cuz it not christian like and its somewhat a govermnet holiday (try to swing that one).

Well. Some people don't know this and just do it to dress up and get the free candy. I think its fun. And I don't care what the Bible says about that. I say I can do that even though I know it now. Its not gonna kill/hurt some one to do this. People have been doing this for a long time. And why should those non-religious people suffer because some idiot takes the Bible too seriously and doesn't like Halloween. It doesn't matter whether you are Christian or not. You should be able to do things like this. If you don't feel it is right, than just ignore the day and don't give out candy. You do what you want. But just because the Bible says that this is bad, doesn't mean we can't do it. This is America and we can have Halloween if we want. But geez man. Chill out and don't take it so seriously. We won't be cast into hell for doing one sin. Everyone sins and people still make it to heaven. So geez. Just chill and let it go. We can do this if we want. But I would also like to hear other peoples opinions. I myself am Christian.

:ph34r: Well even though I'm atheis I'm gonna respond. I think Christians should celebrate Haloween. Even though its about worshipping the dead, people the do not celebrate it like that anymore. It has become a children's holiday to where distinct outfits for that one day, to go trick or treating. So yes, Christians should be allowed to go trick or treating.

I myself am a Christian, a strayed Christian but one who still believes in what the faith stands for. I personally try and prevent myself from getting involved with halloween on any level due to exactly what you said. It does basically involve worshiping the dead and hosts an all round evil theme which does go against everything taught in the Bible.I don't have anything against anybody who is involved on the occassion but as a Christian I think you can't get involved as it does go against what we are taught and I'm comfortable with not participating.

You know I have a tonne of arguments against some peoples claims...

its a holiday dude

Err, not really. If it's a holiday you would have a day off from school/work. When was the last time there was a day off on hallowe'en?

its people like you that ruin everyones fun

Of course losing tens of pounds is a load of fun. What do you think gives people the right to vandalize property and expect goods in return for nothing. It's pretty crappy fun if you ask me. This day also encourages pleasure and greed over material possessions which is evil.

hell if the catholics didn't want the holiday to exsist then they would had made sure of that back in the day well they didn't,

No they didn't as then it had some religious meaning. The fact that they would pray for the dead is religious which is why they gave it the okay.

Even though its about worshipping the dead, people the do not celebrate it like that anymore.

Maybe they should. It's like Christmas, people forget the meaning of these things because of advertisers who in effect rip the meaning off every holiday. One of the only reasons hallowe'en is so strong is because companies grab the opportunity to sell cheap merchandise about it.

The objection I have against this "holiday" is that it entices the breaking of the law. Believe it or not some people do get scared when they see people banging on their front door demanding sweets/money. I and many other people w/ a religious background will have no objection against hallowe'en, why? It is taught nowadays to be respectful to other religions and in the case of the celebrators of this day their religion is athesim.

I had no idea Halloween originated in Ireland and Scotland. I always just thought it was an American holiday. Oh well. You learn something new every day!Anyway, being Australian, I don't really celebrate halloween. I don't think anyone here really does....Not that I've seen anyway. And after reading all that (and being a Christian), I'm glad we don't. I can respect if other people do it, but as a Christian, I think that for me to celebrate it would be wrong. The whole message of celebrating and praying for the dead may have become a bit clouded over the years, but it's still there. That's the whole reason why halloween was started. Without it, there would be no halloween, so that's why I think it's still wrong.And now celebrating halloween for the purpose of getting candy showing off cool costumes is promoting greed and vanity, probably amongst other things, which both go against the teachings of the Bible. So either way...whichever meaning you celebrate halloween for, it's still wrong. And no matter what country you're living in, if you are a Christian you should always take the Bible seriously. There is no such thing as taking the Bible too seriously! God does not look more or less favourably apon you and your sins just because of the country you live in! Someone here said something about that but I couldn't find it again to quote...Anyway, those are just my oppinions. I believe that although the Bible may be hundreds of years old, it is still relevant to our modern life. I feel given the meaning of Halloween, it is wrong for Christians to celebrate it. However if anyone else wants to celebrate it I'm not going to stop them. It's personal choice I guess to some extent.

What is with you and the origins of things? First it's your post about drums, and how they are evil because they were, at one time, used to call out demons. Now this? You're just getting pathetic now.I'll once again bring up my previous point that you overlooked last time. The Christian church used to wage wars, burn 'witches', and murder people who would not convert. Does this make christianity evil? Of course it doesn't. Halloween is nothing more than a time for children to go out and get a few pieces of candy.

Okay, lets get some thoings straight here. I would first ask that all of you settle down. I am not saying to get rid of the holiday, if non-Christians choose to participate, that is their choice. They can. This post if for Christians. Maybe you should have read the title better. I just think it is wrong for a professing Christian to celebrate such a holiday. The origin of things are very important. You must understand this! If I cannot so you the origin, how then, can I prove to you that what I say is true? Let me also say that if you are in fact a Christian, you should ALWAYS take the bible seriously, as some people pointed out.Cerb:I have given my reason for why I use origins. It doesn't make the church evil because they forced people to convert, but it does make them wrong. Also, they were not spiritualistic then. They just shoved their religion down people's throats. What we are dealing with now is spiritualistic things. I am not getting pathetic, but I am trying to prove that the world is a lot more evil then you think and that you must be more aware. Halloween, is something that originated from the worship and honor of the dead. It still holds that attribute or we wouldn't dress up in scary costumes like witches and ghosts.

Halloween... Noone here in Yugoslavia celebrates it, or at least, I have never seen anyone... There are some attempts, but they are weak...What I don't like with Christians (both catholic and orthodox) is - everything is evil for you people! Everything has to be dark, and black, and the unholy one loorks around the corner... So what, we have to close ourself in church, and sit there until we die?Halloween is a pagan custom, and that's why Christians and some religions don't like it... But, they didn't mind taking customs for Easter, and Christmas from pagans? Yes, Christians made Easter and Christmas... But what about customs... They were taken from pagan religions, and incorporated into the religion... Which only substantiates my claims, but that's not the subject here...Halloween is a custom, it's omething fun for kids, to go out and have fun with their friends. It doesn't propagate violence. Just because few people like to demolish something, doesn't make the whole thing bad. They would demolish it any other day too...If you don't like halloween, make a board, and stick it i front of your house "I DON'T LIKE HALLOWEEN! DO NOT ENTER!" and you will be saved from scarry people...In my oppinion, Christians should lay off a bit, this is not just their personal world, and they should not dictate and propagate things they like, and condemn things they don't like... It's not the dark ages, and we're not going to be burned for not believeing in God... If we just mind our own bussines, world would be a better place... But... I guess people just like to stick their noses everywhere :ph34r:

I myself am a Christian, so I hate to be slumped into the 'we hate everything that doesn't have to do with God' group. So, please, don't be stereotypical.You did bring up a good point though. Cristmas was taken directly from the Roman Saturnalia -- a celebration for their family gods and the higher gods. Is Christmas, therefore, evil?

I don't think Christmas should be celebrated as the birth of Christ. However, Because it does not have, and is not centered around satanic practices, I believe it is okay to celebrate it. But as a thanksgiving for the things the Lord has given us.But again, Halloween is evil in every part. That is why I can't agree with the practices that go along with it.Also Cerb, remember it does say in the bible that we should think on the good things in life, the noble, pure and right things. That means that we should actually try to distance ourselves from things that are worldy. Are you saying that we should be supportive of things deemed by God us sinful or worldly? We must think carefully about what we do. And may I ask, if I don't tell people about these things, who will? We all have a duty. Why don't you research a little, I think you will be suprised.

Cerb, I appologize, I certainly did not want to be stereotypical, but I guess it did seem that way... I forgot to mention I thought about religious fanatics...The fact remains, Christianity is not at all that original in it's customs... From various pagan religions, Christians took different customs, and automaticly, they are good. But while those customs were pagan, they were considered evil...wild20, I agree the bible teaches people to distance themselves from material and worldly posessions. But (and there's always a but), what does the church teach us? Isn't catholic churc sitting on billions of dollars of money? Possibly more? Same goes for Orthodox church. They certainly don't show us the good example. The moment Catholic and Orthodox churches give away they immense capital, I will be first to try my best to become a believer.I still stand by my words, Christians have always, and they still do, try to force their view of the things and on the world. Not so forceably now as in the past, but still force... Hence all those "In God we trust" texts on the bills, country hymns with God mentioning in them, here, in my country, church is trying to force, and they managed to a certain degree, religion in schools. It was supposed to be mandatory, but now kids have a choice, that, or some other subject (can't remember the name, something to do with society - not sociology). What about us that don't believe in God?Woops... There I go again, sidetracked from the topic, but it's difficult not to, at leasy for me...Is Halloween evil? Those of you who don't, do whatever that you do on Halloween. Those of you who think it is - don't celebrate it, but don't go and try to force your oppinion on us.I think I'm done... for now :ph34r:

Again, I am not trying to force my religion on anyone. But I am trying to make a point, to Christians, that we should not celebrate it.Galahad:Are you saying, that the only thing that is keeping you from becoming a believer, is a church a that sets a bad example? Many people are wrong by forcing their religion on people. The bible says that it is a freewill choice, made by you. No one has to accept God, but in order for God to change a life, you must accept Him first. I honestly believe this, and so will not "force" my religion on anyone. But I will still stand by what I said by saying that, as a Christian, it is wrong to celebrate Halloween. Personally I think it wrong for anyone to celebrate Halloween. But that is for another time.And also Galahad, remember, the bible teaches us that we ought to obey God, rather than men! This does not mean break the law, for our law is built upon the bible. Also, our country was founded on the belief of God. People can come in and live whether they are Christian or not. But we must keep this country's heritage and because we were founded on the belief of God, we will remain under God. It doen't mean that we will force God down your throats. But lets get back on topic.As I was saying, Halloween was based on a night of evil, where people tried their hardest to sacre evil spirits and ghosts away. I just can't think of how there is any good in it. The costumes we get now, of ghosts, goblins, witches, were the same things that the people of lreland were trying to scare away. We have actually turned this holiday from bad, to worse. And so I hold to my claim that Christians should aviod this holiday.