xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
atomicnacho

What Is Movable Type? Movable Type 3.2

Movable type a very powerful blogging engine. With Movable Type you can have complete, and realatively painless, control over a blog type website. Movable type uses stylesheets so it is very easy to change the look of the site with changes to the stylesheet. There are also many websites that offer premade style sheets that you can just apply to your Movable type blog.

Probably the most powerful aspect of Movable Type are the available plugins. There are litteraly hundreds of plugins available for movable type that provide extra functionality. Some examples are Media Manager, which allows you to display a queue of books/cd/etc.. on your blog that are linked to Amazon.com. Amazon provides information about each entry. This also allows you to set up an affiliate account with amazon and collect commission on purchases made through your site. Another great plugin is MTNetflixAdvanced which allows you to display your netflix queue on your blog.

The best part of all of this is that for personal users it is FREE.

I have to agree that Movable Type was a royal pain to install. I think that they do this on purpose to get you to pay and use their systems that sixapart will install for you. But now that I have it runing I'm really enjoying it. Haven't tried any other software packages, but I think that I'm sticking with Movable Type.

Although I also really like movable type I use wordpress because its so much easier. Plus the movable type scripts sometimes uses up bandwidth a bit. In fact former web hosting I had banned movable type for that reason. I think its a great idea and that many people use it. I think that eventually movable type will be an added feature to livejournal which is a free journal service. What I love more than movable type is trackback. That is a great feature. It allows other people to link their blog entries to your blog entries. Its an amazing feature. Its just another way to connect the web. :ph34r:

I like wordpress more than I do Movable Type. Its a way bigger file than alot of the other blogs which don't even take up half the files it does. Its just so darn big. lol. There's lots of advance stuff onthere and its very hard to install if you have no idea what your doing. like me. lol. so i just stick to more simple things that I can customize.

Many people use Wordpress instead of Movable Type. Although movable type has been the leader in php blogging system for quite some time, since it changed its licensing policy, bloggers switched to wordpress. Wordpress of course have the merits of being a GNU GPL script and therefore programmers are more willing to write add-ons for it. (Same with Firefox, and that?s why Firefox outperforms Internet Explorer). These add-ons, including embedded Flash, Sticky, and blacklisting are the soul of the blogging system. I think nowadays more people use Wordpress instead of Movable Type.However, hosting Movable Type and Wordpress can be a little bit tricky. You must find a host with PHP support and SQL database, which is more difficult to find than a simple webhost or a cgi (perl) enabled website. CGI blogs like bloxsom are still popular due to this reason. Also, some bloggers are not as good at computers and they choose to build their blogs on Space, Blogger and Xanga. There are still room for personalization with theses propriety blogs but of course they are not as flexible and customizable as Movable Type and Wordpress.

I'll have to check out wordpress. I hadn't heard of it before, I just knew about movable type. I switched from Yahoo 360, because I wanted more features for my blog.So I came to Xisto.com got myself some free hosting, then set up movable type. I've been really happy so far except for the Netflix plugin that I cannot get working.Does Xisto's servers have all of the requirements to run wordpress?

You must find a host with PHP support and SQL database, which is more difficult to find than a simple webhost or a cgi (perl) enabled website.

How much more difficult? I would've thought the difference is neglible.

I'll have to check out wordpress.  I hadn't heard of it before, I just knew about movable type.  I switched from Yahoo 360, because I wanted more features for my blog.

So I came to Xisto.com got myself some free hosting, then set up movable type.  I've been really happy so far except for the Netflix plugin that I cannot get working.

Does Xisto's servers have all of the requirements to run wordpress?

189134[/snapback]

From what I have been reading Xisto does have all of the requirements to run Wordpress. That is the main reason I have in fact joined, so Im hoping that I am correct in this assumption! :ph34r:

From what I have been reading Xisto does have all of the requirements to run Wordpress. That is the main reason I have in fact joined, so Im hoping that I am correct in this assumption!  :ph34r:

189640[/snapback]

Yes Xisto does have all the right stuff on their servers for Word Press. that is what I am using on my blog. When you get hosted you will find in your cpanel a section called fantisco(not sure if I spelled that right). That section will have a whole slue of scripts that you can install on your website. Word Press is among a few of the choices you will have. Keep on posting and soon you will have the hosting credits you need to get a site with Xisto. :D

So I took everyones advice and Installed Wordpress, and I have to agree with everyone. It literally took me 2 minutes to install it. Where Movable type took me 2 hours of installing and reinstalling in order to get it to work. Then the installation of plugins was a breeze, where it was often a real pain in Movable type. Often I couldn't even get the plugins to work at all. Everything seems to be a lot smoother with Wordpress. I really like the built in ability to quickly and easily change themes.I did like the Movable type interface a little better than wordpress, but it's no big deal.