xisto Community
psychiccyberfreak

What Is Targeted Advertising? how google ads work

targeted advertizing is when a certain audience is targeted to view commersicals. For this example, I have to quote my sfr teacher:

Let's say you wake up at 9:00 in the morning, and you're waching... umm... flaming donkey cartoons, and an advertizement comes on for... umm... sugary sugar o's... "hey kids, buy shugary sugar o's they're good! dat dat-dat dat dat!" and you change the chanel to CNN moneywacher's boring stocks, and an ad comes on for a loaning agency. Most of the viewers for the donkey cartoons would be kids, but the boring CNN thing would be investors and stuff. They target those audiences. You wouldn't expect to see a loans ad on flaming donkey cartoons, and you wouldn't see an ad for sugar o's on CNN.

Google ads (and their "clones") work by targeting you, the viewer of an audience (let's say Xisto) with an ad for used 1985 home computer crap. You know what I mean? so now you know how google ads work.

...btw, my sfr teacher is awsome, I just had to quote him...

I must say, that is a rather interesting way of putting it :ph34r: I get irritated with the ads that do not conform to the being-targetted policy. For instance, there's this soap that comes on Indian Television, and it focuses on the philosophy of how it's-not-all-about-how-good-you-look, and it's crammed with ads of cosmetic products. Most ironical, lol.

targeted advertizing is when a certain audience is targeted to view commersicals. For this example, I have to quote my sfr teacher:

Google ads (and their "clones") work by targeting you, the viewer of an audience (let's say Xisto) with an ad for used 1985 home computer crap. You know what I mean? so now you know how google ads work.

...btw, my sfr teacher is awsome, I just had to quote him...

188002[/snapback]

Targeted advertising is targeting a certain audience that will be amiable towards the products or services advertised. Targeted advertising on the internet for instance would be making an ad banner for a dating website on a classifieds personals website. They are in the same genre.

Targeted advertising in mail is sending for instance skateboarding magazine subscription to a household containing teenagers. How do they find out you have teenagers? Probably from companies that sell your personal information to the company doing the mailing.

That is all I have to say about targeted advertising, please send me an email at xadoflitan@hotmail.com if you have any more questions.

One of my junior year teachers in high school taught us alot about targeted advertising, he used more magazines and tv commercials than internet to show us. I thought advertising is an art. It's really amazing how sneaky sneak some companies can be. They play on your ethics, use statistics, pride, love, etc. I think I could do well if I were to try to advertise for food companies. Well an interesting read thanks.

Ideally when advertising on your own site or any other site out there the content in the advertising will reflect the site. I have noticed most of the time that is the case. I have a Google email account which is Gmail. Well as part of my terms of use I get targeted ads i my email box. I am guessing that based on keywords in my emails the ads are placed by them. Most of the time the ads I see which are text and pretty much unatrusive are right on. Once in a while its completely wrong.Alot of times when a new tv show comes out on tv there is a target market that the tv program is shooting for so they also search for advertisers who would fit with that audience. Also along with the target audience often times the show will be tested with the target audience and other audiences long before its even allowed to be shown on tv to make sure that they know what market to advertise to or that the show would even be successful. Also often times when show has been on for a little while they will do studies with Nielsens and other rating companies to see who watches the show and advertising and then will adjust the show and marketing accordingly.

Here's my definition of targeted advertising: When a page with a targeted ad loads, a small snippet of JavaScript makes a request on the advertising agency's server. The server then scans the page being viewed, and looks for ads that match keywords on the page. Then, an ad / ads that fit the page content are shown to the user.

That's pretty much the way AdSense and similar advertising programs work. But often, the advertiser has to seek out the demographic they wish to target by purchasing advertising on related websites (or the publisher can contact an advertiser who is offering something that would appeal to the publishers visitors). For example, on GameSpot, you often see a lot of gaming-related advertisements, because most of the people who visit GameSpot are interested in video games and are more likely to click through. This isn't targeting done through any automated ad selection processes, but rather well-planned campaigns that are likely to pay off for all parties concerned (the adveriser, because they will probably receive many hits from the ad, and then sales or leads etc, and the publisher, because they receive payment for it).

Targeted advertising as the name suggest targets a set of consumer defined or cateogarized or segmented on different social , economic, demographic or psycological parameters.It helps the advertiser to effectively and efficienly used the money budgeted for advertisement. Targeted advertisement is supposed to hit the right audience with using right medium.this may not be a foolproof mechanism as all other marketing tool as it depend on various internal and external factors. Example of targeted advertising on different mediums areA edible oil company sponsoring a cookery show on television(presuming homemakers are watching the show)A matrimonial site having a banner of job site(with growing responsibilty you look better options)If we talk purely about internet targeted advertising. It may be in form of banners , emails and pop up's. But the concept remains the same. These mailers or banners will not be same for everyone they will will crop up according to your profile or say in case of search engines the words you are working on...Knowlege Pool

The way I see it, they want you to <- snipped -> that they have related to the content you are reading. If you are reading about baseball, you are going to see ads related to baseball. If the content on the site is talking about computers, the ads will be with in the same relative subject. They think if you are reading about it, you like that kind of stuff and would like to buy something related to it.}

I love the "Localization" that you can get for your ads. Whenever I'm searching google, the ads along the side usually have my city or state in them 1st, and then other ads afterwards. Helping me to find local companies to do business with, which I prefer to do if at all possible, instead of having to pay for shipping.So people in another state might possibly see different ads than I do, because they can be targeted to a specific location, either state or major metro area. Since my business is local-delivery only, I use this feature in my own line of work to promote my small business. It's not terribly expensive either, if you're not going after the very generalized keywords. I use more specific keywords, which keeps my costs down, and the customers who do click through are more likely to buy instead of just being lookie-loos.Just my 2?.

i dont like targeted advertising it kinda makes me want to go buy stuff. I can see why people have it but i cant stand that bluekirby person. i mean seriously who like harry potter anymore anyway. I hope that fad dies just like i hope rap will. all i can hope for is to keep my hatred up and keep on telling people what i feel and never forget.
spread the hate

Targeted advertising is great for companies and individuals alike. If I have to look at ads, I personally would like to look at advertisments for stuff that interests me instead of stuff that the advertisers want me to see. Google has made really good use out of the keywords especially in their gMail service. With google adwords it scans your email for topics that interest you and only shows ads for that topic. Google uses this new technology for other aspecs such as news feeds and whatnot. There is a little bar above my email that shows the latest news search results for articles that match keywords within your email. Just immage the endless possibilities that google adwords can provide us with.

Here is what google says about targeted advertising:

This innovative Google business solution will help you unleash the true revenue potential of your site. Here are just some of the advantages of our program:

Run ads that will interest your users.
Google AdSense delivers easy to read and text and image-based ads targeted to the content of your pages and AdSense for search queries.
Leverage Google search technology.
The proprietary Google search and page-ranking technologies are the foundation for AdSense. We understand the context and content of web pages and precisely match Google ads to your pages.
Run ads targeted to your audience
In addition to keyword-targeted ads, Google also provides site-targeted advertisements, offering pay-per-impression ads that are specifically suited for your pages.
Filter unwanted ads.
Google combines an editorial team, filtering technology, and your input to create a robust set of filters that are right for you.
Getting started is fast and easy.
Getting started with AdSense is easy and requires no engineering resources on your side. We give you a few lines of HTML that you add to any of your web pages. It takes just minutes, after which you'll be serving Google ads on your pages - and generating more advertising revenue.

targeted ads have a more higher probability of beign clicked because the visitor is looking for contentand if the title and description of the ads are good then surely visitor who are looking for contentwill click it.Targeted ads are ads whose content are similar to the content of the page which shows the ads.