xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
wariorpk

My Computer Class Gets To Learn Html Soon Now I Dont Need To Learn It At Home

I am very happy about this. I have always wanted to write HTML code but I never had the time or pacience to do so and instead I took the coward's way out by getting a WYSIWUG editor. Sure thats fine but I rather write my own code and soon I will be able to :ph34r: . Did any of you learn HTML in school or are you going to.

I am very happy about this. I have always wanted to write HTML code but I never had the time or pacience to do so and instead I took the coward's way out by getting a WYSIWUG editor. Sure thats fine but I rather write my own code and soon I will be able to  :ph34r: . Did any of you learn HTML in school or are you going to.

187939[/snapback]

Right now I'm taking a VHS (virtual high school) course on Web Design and Internet Research. I just started to learn html coding but I learn better if I just figure it out on my own. I just got my website up and I've already figured everything out. I didn't have any help. Once you see how its used by looking at examples of other html codes for sites you'll be able to do it yourself. Just try going to google and then right click and go down to view source. This will show you all the coding for this particular page. You can look at how they have set up theirs. That might help you. Also when you edit "codes" in notepad make sure you save the document as The Name of your document.html

Yes, coding it out yourself is the best way to go. I learned HTML by viewing the scources of other sites, and putting two and two together. I would usually refer to the manual for extra attributes and other elements. Then when i entered a web design class i was able to move on a step ahead than some of the other students.

And if you use Mozilla or Firefox as your browser, simply Ctl-U as you are looking at a page on the web will do the same as the rt-click>View Page/Source. Absolutely correct about studying other pages to learn new things. I did it when I first started. Some people are okay with you doing that with their site, others don't like it, but remember that "stealing" the code is not a good thing. The author owns the rights to the code, but most will be okay with you copying their techniques. Just don't steal the code, Okay?Learning Html is good, but pay attention to the CSS part if they teach you that. It will really help to know the css well one you start doing multiple page sites. It lets you format an entire site with just one file. If there are changes to be made to only one line, would you rather open and modify all the html files, or just one? Yes, there are editors whch are capable of doing that, but the multiple occurence editors can also mess a site up bad if you aren't careful.I'm beginning to discover the power of css, and I like it alot.

I simply just learned HTML on my own. Basically, all it took was viewing some code of how a web page is built, open up Notepad and start editing, figuring out the different parameters along the way. If you want to use a WYSIWYG editor, that's fine, but you'll get more satisfaction writing the code yourself and surf the net for other tips. If you get to learn CSS as well, that'll help you a lot. Will they also teach you PHP later on the course, by the way?

Our school teaches how to make websites in Word, and FrontPage for the slightly more experienced. Our teacher had to ask what we were doing when we were editing code in Notepad and then he told us to stop mucking around and go back to FrontPage! So much for everyone doing their best :ph34r:
I personally learnt HTML through a combination of W3C, books and loads of other websites and tutorials. I also had a look at loads of websites source code, which many comment pretty well, which lets you pick up some of the tips and tricks.

If you get to learn CSS as well, that'll help you a lot. Will they also teach you PHP later on the course, by the way?

188025[/snapback]

This is just an eighth grade 10 week course so I highly doubt that we will be learning php yet. I hope to learn it in the future though. I also highly doubt that we will learn css but like I said before I would like to learn it.

well same here, i'm doing a study where we learn all about websites interactive movies and all kinds of thing you do on the computer. (includes 3d animating) And my class just learned a bit html. But my teacher just says... well you only have to know the basic stuff, because the rest you will do in dreamweaver, and you dont need to really know html for that. Now i hope we will get php soon :ph34r:

i don't like learning when your forced to do it just because its a class. Even if you like the subject. lol. Which I obviously dont. But I like to do it because its fun. I started out looking at peoples sources and learning by myself off tutorial sites. I think you learning by yourself is faster than in the class. Maybe thats like highschool level i'm talking about. I bet college is way faster.