xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Jesse

Hospital Being Sued Local News

OMG how can this happen ... it is terrible. Oh you want to know what I am on about. Well one of our big hospitals here in Australia is being sued because they gave someone wrong HIV test results. Saying that they were HIV + when they were not.The hospital put the person onto HIV Medication and told them to take it twice a day, when they should not have been on them in the first place.Now there is a high chance that the person could catch HIV from the medication that they were using cause it does something with HIV anti-bodies.The worst part of the story though is the fact that the young guy that was told he was HIV + when he wasnt tried to kill himself and it nearly worked. And it may still work ... cause he is now on life support fighting for his life. And he still has no idea that he actually isnt positive. The hospital found the mistake and then told his parents, who are now sueing the hospital. I will not mention the hospitals name for legal reasons. But this is SO wrong.I feel so sorry for the people involved in this. My heart goes out to the person and his family.

i thought my life was a living hell already. The medicine they use has the HIV disease in it already thats how they use the anti-body to treat it. I cant believe that a doctor can mistake something like that. Well i hope this issue can be resolved as much as possible. So he didnt find out that he wasnt HIV + until he was about to die from it? I guess that is a living hell situation then.

Nothing and no one is perfect. Mistakes can happen. Unfortunately, this mistake had serious consequences. However, mistakes need to happen so we can learn how to prevent them. Its life. My condolences to the family, they have every right to sue for medical costs and such, but I don't know what more money will do to heal there emotional scarring.... Thats another story and topic about human greed. >.>

Mainly i know that if you know you are going to die it will be tough. However, wouldn't it make you want to get the most out of the time that is left like do the things you always wanted to do? Like seriously if i knew i was going to die, i definitely would go ski diving and conquer as many of my fears as i could so that when i died i would know that i lived a full life even though it was shorter than i wanted.

This is nothing when compared to what private hospitals in India are doing to their patients. Not all private hospitals are like that but there many who tell lies to patients to gain money.I really wish someone would stop this.

Very true-However about the money-This is not a matter of human greed- if your child dies on the accord of a careless mistake, I'd sue for every penny they had, and then for some they didn't. There's no greater loss then to live longer than your child, and if you ever have to experience such loss, you'll know exactly what I mean.Condolences to the family, good luck to the medical professionals involved.Panda

Wow, what a tremendous situation. My heart really goes out to those parents and especially the person who was lied to. Unfortunately, mistakes like this one happen and ultimately can never be avoided. The worst part of it all is that these stories usually never get to us; the people affected are usually ignored and and forgotten about so lessons are rarely learned. I wish for the best of luck for the patient's recovery and survival; our hearts and prayers are with them.

While I do feel sorry for the guy... Why in the world didn't he get a second test run. If someone told me right now that I was HIV positive, I would GET ANOTHER TEST RUN. And killing yourself over HIV NOWADAYS? People can live very long lives with it if they take the medication. It doesn't have to mean your life is over. I'm sure he was just shocked & didn't know what to do, but I mean, killing yourself? That is the cowards way out. And generally speaking it's not the doctor's fault, it was probably a lab mix-up. The test probably was positive, it probably just wasn't HIS blood/test. And they didn't catch it until later.

Hospitals need to be more careful now a days. Not only do hospitals have to be careful but so don't pharmacys. There has been so many mistakes at local pharmacys. Doctors are becoming less careful with their patients and don't really pay attention to their patients need. There is something totally wrong with that!

that is horrible. but i guess mistakes do happen. in cases like this mistakes are rare but its impossible for mistakes not to happen so i guess he was just unlucky. that is really sad huh?