xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
newjerseyd3vil

How Do You Start Making Your Site?

can anyone tell me how to start making your site like were do i go to see howmany days i have and what im suppose to do to start makin it basicly....if u kno plz reply :P

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Moving from General Talk to Website Discussion > General. Please search the forum before making a new topic. This could be viewed as unwilling to do the work but expecting a quick, easy answer.
Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)

well first of all you'll be hosted and that will be done by the ADMIN once you have enough posts...then the credits will become days.I.E. ONE CREDIT WILL BE EQUAL TO ONE DAYonce you get that then you can use FTP software to upload you website.And as you asked us that how to make a website then there are few ways of making a website..First : Use a template and then make the appropriate changes in it and uploadSecond : Use Blogger.com or any other website like that to make your own website blogThird : Use any WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) software for e.g. DREAMWEAVER or FRONTPAGE and design your own website.

if you already are finnished with the technical stuffs (hosted already, html editor and others) it is not a wise idea to start doing things with your computer already (start coding html). First is you have to ask your question what will your site be and who are the targeted visitors. Becuase if you do not address this matter first then you will not be succesful. Yeah you created a website but the question is, is it worth visiting? If not then you failed.After being able to address the said question get a paper and a pencil. Start designing structure of the website. First to consider is the navigational menu of the website. What kind of menu your site will have will be based in the first question which is what will your site be? Basically the navigational menu contains like HOME, CONTACT, SUPPORT maybe if you have CHAT ROOM or even MESSAGE BOARD blah blah :(Structural design by the way is devided in 2 parts, the first is the one that I mentioned above and the second is how you structure folders and files in the hard disk. It is bad if you put in one folder all files. Files and folders should be segregated. LIke for example you have a folder IMAGE which contains all images. Then its time design the layout or how your webpage will look like. Again you only need a pencil and a clean sheet of paper :( no computer yet. You need some colors too. Draw the design of your website. Draw as many as you can to be exact :(Having done that all, its time then to turn your computer on and start coding html and this time you will concern yourself in the technical issues only, since you already have tackle the designing. Basicaly at this point you concern yourself on how to implement your design. :Pwell, thats it.gud luck...

Yeah you created a website but the question is, is it worth visiting? If not then you failed.

See I'd disagree with that .... I designed my site just to have somewhere to put my film reviews and little bits of LOTR related material etc .... I don't really care how many hits I get .... I'm doing this as a hobby .... it gives me a creative outlet .... which is great .... plus I'm picking up computer skills as I go along .... however, in that area, I'm still very much out of my depth ....

Oh well, onwards and upwards!

Posted Image

Well, I pretty much agree with most of the posts above, but when it comes down to actually "making" the website, I always start in my favorite image editting software (Photoshop) and build the template in there.. It is easy because you can add mock tables and borders to see how it looks, and then erase them (because they can be done with CSS or something).. even adding text to see how it looks is simple,and helps the design of your page go smoother.. From there, you chop up the large image template into smaller workable pieces and construct your HTML code to put it all back together with the contained content (ImageReady works well for slicing images, but it is not hard, and sometimes more precise, to do it manually in photoshop)..Anyway, that's how I do it..

First of all no you really don't need hosting.... As far as i can see you don't know how to make a website at all so whats the point of getting web hosting when you don't know how to make a website so to get started what i always do is take out a pice of paper and draw out my design DETAILED. Once i draw it on paper i then open up potoshop and i make my design on photoshop. After you have an idea and a nice design. Write up the content that you wan't on you website and plan out everything. Next thing you wan't to do is start to learn how to program if you don't alrady know.search for a few html tutorials once you learn then you want to get started.Make you website on your computer and use some sort of program such as Dreamwever MX 2004.Once your done making your website on your computer sign up for hosting here and use ftp to upload all of you websites files.I got to run if you need more help let me know.

my advice owuld be to do thisWEll this is for anysiteMake your design layout like someone else said and sketch wat u want your site to look like then u create that.Next program everything in.Last tell people about it and get people to join your site(if it is a site that ppl join)

After you have an idea and a nice design. Write up the content that you wan't on you website and plan out everything.

I actually think you've got these two stages back to front. You need to plan out your site before you start your design as you'll need an idea of how many sections/links etc you're going to have which will have an impact on your design if you're using horizontal navbars.

first i take pencil and paper and write all i think about the concept of the site.then i structure the idea, navigation and content.then i reseach about the way i want it looks.and finally i get my hands dirty.

To start your site, first thing to do is figure out is what your site is about, is it about you, flying kites, pets, just to show pictures...you get the idea. Next step is design your layout. Use pencil and paper, draw out how you want it to look. Don't worry about all the little detail as that will bog you down and discourage you.Next if you don't know HTML or how it works learn it. There are tons of tutorials out there that are great, and tons that suck...I suggest buying a book. Easy to reference that way. Focus on tags, how they work, their properties and proper syntax.Then start building the HTML...if you have any questions feel free to email me, or contact me through msn I will help you get started. As far as hosting goes, don't worry about it just yet. You can code and view HTML pages from your computer. Learn how to upload your files when your site is complete. Or until you have enough content worth showing off.

These are some excellent suggestions, thanks guys I got some really nice ideas out of this thread. once I get my hosting I know exactly what im going to do :-P

I probably should make a tutorial on making a Web site. Ok, first things first, you need to know what your Web site will be about. Computers, music, family, or a blog? This involves some deep thinking; so come back when you're done brainstorming. I made a terible mistake of skipping this step, and wound up with a site with no content.Next, figure out what platform you will use to publish your site, and where you will host it (please choose Xisto). For a content rich site, try Mambo/Joomla and a nice template (which can be found online and for free in many cases). Or if a blog is your decision, I suggest WordPress, a nice and clean (literally; it's XHTML-compliant) bloging tool. If you just want a simple site, sit down with a good HTML book and code it yourself, or get a decent site editor (Dreamveaver, Frontpage, or even the one in the cPanel file manager).After that, say something! Write at least a few pages of decent content, like an About Me page, an interests page, and a few articles related to the subject of your site.Here's the part that's a little hard: announce your work of art to the world. This can be accomplished through one of those traffic exchange programs, or just make a link tou the site in your signiture on a forum.As time goes on, your content will grow stale, and your visitors will get bored. Write an article a week, let's say. And if you want your visitors to be updated on the content, put up an RSS feed or make a newsletter or something like that. I can't really help with that however.So after youv'e read this long and boring post, I hope that you now have the knowledge on how to open up your own little corner of the internet.