xisto Community
wariorpk

Geocities Free Webhosting Run By Yahoo

There are a few good points to Geocities webhosting:It is freeThere is no spyware/adware as far as I knowThey give you a site builderYou are signed up if you have a Yahoo accountThis is what I don't like about Geocities:The ads are annoyingThe sites you create in site builder are very unprofessionalYou don't get much spaceYou don't get much bandwidthWhat do you like about Geocities? What didn't you like about Geocities? Did you have a different experience? If so I would like to hear it.

Why we don't concentrate on our Xisto space and webhosting?Why we come here then? of course for the free and add_free webhosting .Why we think about other webhosting with ads and space on the screen.The free Geocities gives 15 MB space our Xisto gives you 20 MB minimum free Geocities does not give you FTP, our Trap[17 gives you FTP and all other.Their ads take 20% of the screen but our Xisto doesnt put any ads.You don't control their ads subjects. If your site about relegion or to kids, imagine what contradiction things you give your visitors.

Notice from snlildude87:
You don't need to quote the first post in the thread
Edited by snlildude87 (see edit history)

I hate the name, it's so cheap I've never been hosted with them, they look shabby and the websites that ARE hosted by geocities are mostly shabby. I lke any other free host most than this is.. It just looks wrong.The adverts there annoy me the most because they appear in everypage.. I mean what if you want IFRAMES... you can't exactly do anything. PLUS all the good names are probably taken because soo many people are hosted with them.

Why we don't concentrate on our Xisto space and webhosting?

Why we come here then? of course for the free and add_free  webhosting .

Why we think about other webhosting with ads and space on the screen.

The free Geocities gives 15 MB space our Xisto gives you 20 MB minimum 

free Geocities does not give you FTP, our Trap[17 gives you FTP and all other.

Their ads take 20% of the screen but our Xisto doesnt put any ads.

You don't control their ads subjects. If your site about relegion or to kids, imagine what contradiction things you give your visitors.

184718[/snapback]

Your entire post can be answered in one sentence: this is in the Your Review! forum. The member has the rights to do that.

Of course, common sense all tells us that no member here would ever degrade to Geocities after being hosted here. Don't you agree?

well back in the days before most of you all where able to pick up a computer, geocities was a pretty sweet set up, but after awhile people websites started closing down, people complaining about the service, and then the ads.but now i have trap and its all good.

Of course, common sense all tells us that no member here would ever degrade to Geocities after being hosted here. Don't you agree?

184760[/snapback]

This is true but the way I see it if you have friends who hate forum posting even though it takes almost no time out of your day and its actually an enjoyable part of your day that maby seeing information about another host might help you find your friend hosting.

Your entire post can be answered in one sentence: this is in the Your Review! forum. The member has the rights to do that.

184760[/snapback]

Who initiate the topic asked:

What do you like about Geocities? What didn't you like about Geocities? Did you have a different experience? If so I would like to hear it.

And I gave the information required.

After my reply there are two reply and nobody critisized how long they said. Read the first and mine and the two after me and be just.

If I will not receive explanation, I will not reply any more.

Probably every webmasters who had managed to come here know about webhosting specially one like Geocities as much as you know. But let's hope it is still useful since others don't bother to write about what most of us have known it in reality. I think you can include freeservers with geocities. The good point of freeservers is that it is very search engine friendly.. which geocities will not match... though annoying pop-ups and endless ads add upto the hate list.

I was on Geocities before the ads became annoying. It actually wasn't that bad, but I agree - most sites on geocities are horrible. They're great for beginners but past that, eh...you'll need a new host.

I used Geocities for the first site I ever built without a page builder or Frontpage. I would still be using Geocities if they hadn't gone and made a ad that blocks 1/4th of your site. I never ran out of space for files, but my bandwidth was drained up quickly. I would always upload stuff onto my site for future referrences, and when I went to go and get the files again... I wouldn't be able to access my site and I'd have to try get into File Manager.I agree that it is great for beginners, especially since most of them don't really care about the ads or have to worry about bandwidth. Most Geocties sites don't have a lot of visiters coming to the site unless it's been forgotten and really old.

Geocities... I got hosted once, and never again. I was 11, and I wanted to see why so many used it. I tried it. I was using Tripod before that, I think, and I wanted to try something new. I was doing HTML already. And oh my, I can't stand being babied all the time with site builders. Sure, I would love it if I were younger, but hey, I guess I tried it way too late. It could've been nice though, without the casual style, ads and their bandwidth breathing down your shoulders... If you have a really good site on Geocities, you should leave, because if a lot of people love your site, it'll be down most of the time because of low bandwidth. It's like they only want "unknown sites" (Sorry for the term) that don't get enough visitors. Their bandwidth is ridiculous... *mumbles about bandwidth* :P:(

I think I've managed to stay away from Geocities for webhosting all this time. I hosted my first website on Angelfire (which also used to have an e-mail service), then Bravenet, then tried a bunch of others before I found Trap 17. No FTP, forced banner/pop-up ads and limited amount of space steered me away from Geocities in the first place.

I think it is not right to say that geocities is sooo bad, because I know I started my "web-creating" with them and it is very good for beginners! It offers simple and easy tools and you don't have to know nothing about html or any other programming language. Those pop-ups or whatever you call them are really a bit anoying, but there is a trick which you can use to get rid of them...If you wnat something more proffesional you go to either Xisto or some paid service which offers better services...Thats what i think according to my experiences..

Geocities... :P That is a very unprofessional site hosting. I will say no about that for like on the front post. So this is something i think people should not take if you want a site that is small and not very good in a look.

i dont think that geocities is a very good webhosting at all for the free service that it provides. The webhosting only gives you 10 mb of space to start out with. The webhosting makes you have ads on the site. The worst part about it is the long sub domain name that they give you.Really the only good on found on this site was the editor and the editor is only good for newbies that want to make a simple site. The whole geocities webhosting is really just something to get you started.