xisto Community
CopperZepher

Tripod Hosting webhost

Now, obviously Tripod is another one of those big huge companies that give out really bad hosting like candy. But here are my experiences with them.

When I first signed up to be a member of Tripod, I did not know much about HTML, or mkaing websites in general. I had no idea that it was so easy. They have this online site builder, which sometimes may take a little bit to load (not too much) but is actually really helpful when it comes to making a basic looking website for pretty much any purpose. It is easy to navigate the builder, but sometimes it would take a while to figure out how to make images that right size on the page.

After I made a website, I found some other great tools on their site. Now, I rarely keep these things up, I usually just make one post and forget about it. Blogs. They have a great blog builder, with some good, and bad templates, but overall, it's a great tool. It's really easy to make a post, and set the permissions for who gets to do what.

Now that I had the basic website/blog set up, I wanted to link them. I had a hard time figuring out how to make a hyperlink, then discovered it was just like any program, where there's a little icon you can click. At the point of making this site, I did not know much about free hosts, and thought this was the greatest site ever. Then I got more into HTML, and making websites on other hosts, finding the best ones and such. But before I knew all that existed, I wanted to get my website out there! So I used the little Search Engine submission tool in the Site Builder, which was really easy, and without much waiting time, my site actually showed up on google! My other hosts put my websites on stupid engines like All The Web.

For those of you who wish to try a small website that is really simple, and used for really general almost nothing, like sharing photos, I suggest Tripod.

Thanks for reading.

I agree that Tripod is one of the best bad free webhosting companies. I liked their site builder and the amount of space you got but the ad box just took up too much room and I was ready to add a forum to my site. If you are new to webhosting and don't use fancy scrips and think that ads add character to a site its a good choice. If you don't mind posting just avoid the trouble and get hosted here.

I don't like services like Tripod at all. They offer very poor quality services and very restrictive too. You can just stick in here with Xisto because they have an excellent hosting service. Believe. Ok?

Well, freewebs was my first host, and I agree that they were very good, but now I can't log in, and they changed everything and it's gotten confusing. My site is still up for some reason, but I think it's a top level folder rather than a subdomain, which I like subdomains more.

Well, I was an NPSH "No Permanent Site Hoster" before. I checked Tripod out before, but I didn't like those accursed ads. The ads drove me nuts, and I didn't like the service, so I migrated to Angelfire. I stayed for some time, then I migrated to ad-free hosting for forum posting. I came across several until I found Xisto, which makes me so happy I found it, because it was dedicated. I've been to several forum posting ones, but they seemed to disband after a few months with them. It's hard having to transfer hosts a lot. Well, you're right that Tripod is good for newbies, but they've got to learn HTML sooner or later... they can't always be spoon-fed. But hey, I still think it's better than Geocities! *cough*Bandwidth*cough* There used to be one too... Homestead, I think, which had it's site builder available for download. But you know what? I think it had a virus, because my computer started crashing like crazy since then... Anyway, it's nice to be here! Xisto is still the best!

freewebs is very good for beginners there is where i learn html after i studied it at w3school.com

183759[/snapback]

I'm glad I aint the only one that used freewebs as a beginning.

I think that there are many great free web hosts out there, but it all depends on what you actually want or need. For example, Tripod and Freewebs are excellent for beginners, as something like Xisto or Xisto are a little more complex and advanced. The major designers and developers amongst us are better off with either a paid plan, or something Xisto with a paid DNS.

Like Geocities, I never hosted my site with Tripod. To me, it seemed a lot like lycos/angelfire - only the name is different. Perhaps a beginner would find it useful, but you may want to move on soon after. As for freewebs, it's not bad - except for uploading one file at a time for the free account.

Yea i tried this site before and it is really bad. I also prefure freewebs it doesnt give you to much options but still alot vetter than tripod. That sites give nothing that is any good i am surpized anyone even signs up there.

I started with Tripod, (This thread has reminded me that I still have space over there) I never used their site builder. I just put up my own HTML pages. It was a good place to learn about how things were put together. But the ads drove me away. I remember they started putting some kind of weird sidebar on the pages to go along with the giant ad banner and occasional pop-up as I was leaving.

Uhh, that site brings back really bad memories... I remember when I, too, was a newbie when I signed up for their service. I didn't know that much back then, so wasn't really aware of the crapiness of the service that I belonged to. The features and service there is pretty much terrible. Anyways, it's nice to see how much free webhosting has progressed. I am currently with Xisto and am 100% satisfied. I love this website. Keep up the good work!

Well the first time ever that i got into webdesign and web programming i started with Tripod, and no i'm not shamed. :DIt was nice and easy, you load up the builder and you got yourself a nice website, which you obviously would get very proud.But then you start to check another people sites and you realize that, your site suxs.. Well people will end to outgrow Tripod and move to another good free or pay host, which will give them real web tools to work with.But Tripod is surely a good way to start to learn the BASICS of web.. nothing more, nothing else. :ph34r:

I have used Tripod but my expierences with them where that they where very limited, and a webhost like Xisto beats them at every cause. It also seems all the webhosts with Free in the name are kinda bad too. (Freewebs, 20megsfree etc)