xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Evil_Amuter_WebsiteCoder

Bandwidth For all the idiots out there xD

Hello, I believe your comments should be more in the form of a question. Nice start for a first post though. :)

I guess that I'll be the one to ask some questions then. What are some different factors that affect bandwidth? Does hardware affect it or simply an internet connection? I've been wondering, because I went to a site that tests your bandwidth and I have been getting pathetic numbers, like 200 kilobytes per second, while my buddies are getting like 20 megabytes per second. As far as I know, we both have cable internet. Another question, how can I increase my bandwidth? Thanks.

Oh, by the way, here is the website where I tested my bandwidth. You guys can check out your numbers too!

http://www.2wire.com/ -- Click Speed Meter at the top.

The information-carrying capacity of a network or connection.

:)

183711[/snapback]

I know what you mean, I just feel like stating the obvious. wouldn't the information carrying capacity of a network be unlimited as it can have many servers with many hard drives?

got you there on that one, remember a server is connected to another server at one time or another cuz if you have seprate servers working by themselves then you will have problems.put yeah that was a spam post do to the fact that it is a oneliner and we loathe one liners here.

I've been wondering, because I went to a site that tests your bandwidth and I have been getting pathetic numbers, like 200 kilobytes per second, while my buddies are getting like 20 megabytes per second.

183733[/snapback]

Your bandwidth was clocked at

35.90 Kbps

And you think you've got problems! The misery of a dialup connection I guess. I just wish people would take dialup connections into account when making web sites, sometimes they take ages to load. :)

Anyway, there is another way the term 'bandwidth' is used. This is when referring to the amount of bandwidth allowance you have for your Xisto account. In this instance it is referring to the amount data that is permitted to be downloaded from your site per month. This is affected by the number of visitors you have and what they download. For this purpose, an image displayed on your web page is also considered a download. Therefore, if you have a lot of large images on your web site, it will use more of your bandwidth for each visitor that views your site. Another reason not to have a lot of large images on your site. :)

bandwidth is a number (amount) that u have used for transferring either upload or download... and visitors to our page downloads our site to their cache and the download uses your bandwidth... if 300 downloads your site that example 40KB and that consumes 120000KB of bandwidth... and if you upload example 5 mp3's. 5 x 5 for an example. it consumes 25 MB of bandwidth. and if your bandwidth is exceeded. you could get more by the end of the month. for my opinion, bandwidth is much better than space. hope my explanation readable.

One weird thing about bandwidth that I noticed on a friend's computer is that they were connecting with a 56K modem, but when you hovered over the network status icon in the system tray it reported speeds over 100K. How can this be?

One weird thing about bandwidth that I noticed on a friend's computer is that they were connecting with a 56K modem, but when you hovered over the network status icon in the system tray it reported speeds over 100K.  How can this be?

183848[/snapback]

Their network speed was showing their NIC card not their dialup connection. The 100mb connection is for their internal network.

Very true,It's also true that Windows does not accurately reflect your connection speed. On a regular basis.Bandwidth is the transfer across a connection. If you download a 40 meg file, you use up 40 megs of my bandwidth. It applys to everything downloaded from the server, including .html, .php, .jpg, .png, etc. files.THat's why most providers charge you as-per bandwidth requsite. If you require more bandwidth, you're obviously getting more users, so you'd have more traffic. Panda

Bandwidth is the amount of information that can be transmitted over communications lines at one time. The higher the bandwidth, the faster the Web page loads. Limited bandwidth is the main reason for keeping pictures small. Just as it seems we will never have fast enough computers, it feels like we will never have enough bandwidth. The amount of research and development money being thrown at this problem should yield surprising results before long.

http://www.ojaiwebsites.com/glossary.php

Notice from cmatcmextra:
Added quote tags in....

Edited by cmatcmextra (see edit history)

Bandwidth the the horizontal measurement of a group of musicians.

183846[/snapback]

Hahahaha that was a good one, i didnt quite catch it but... now i get it (hope you guys understand this joke).

And thanks for the info, i was very confused always talking about the bandwidth a given hosting company offers but did not know what it was, cuz i assumed that the bigger, the better, but what does it actually do? now i can compare and decide better.