xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
wild20

"it" Got The Chicken! How did it happen?

It was awful. I knew we had hawks, but I didn't think they could do this. It was late one afternoon, the sun was starting to set, I had just come back from town. The flock was in the field, somewhat upset. I noticed one was missing. It was my favorite.PROFILE:Breed: tophat black polishAge: Five monthesHeight: 7 inchesColor: Black body with white headOkay, this is what happened. I went to check on my chickens and found them wandering and scratching like they normally do. I went out to the field and saw a pile of feathers. That is when I realized what it was. Something had attacked one of my pullets, killed it, and ate everything but the shell. The feathers were plucked first so I concluded that it wasn't a hawk but more likely some kind of cat or dog. It wasn't a fox, because they pften leave no evidence. It may have also have been a raccoon. I was shocked. And that concludes this mystery.STATUS: Unsolved to this day!

look for foot prints and you will know who he culprit is. then hunt it down and teach it a lesson of why not to mess with your chickens. :)

OMG thats horrible...how can animals be so vicious. How did you feel after that happened because i know i wouldnt be happy... try nd trap the animal so it can see what sort of damage it has done, if this situation involved humans the person that killed the other one would be in jail :) am i right?Im sorry about your loss

I was mad. I mean, it had all the other chickens to choose from? Right? No, just kidding. I felt awful. I won't trap the animal because, I know, that by moving into where I am and keeping chickens, I have invaded that animals area and assumed the risk of losing them. So it is kind of a toss up. I will scare it away if I ever see it stalking one of my chickens, but won't trap or kill it. I have already taken out 5 huge rats that were living in my coop. They are gone now. Dead. But the risk will always be there. Sometimes you have to take chances.Florisjuh: Please don't do one liners on the forums. The admins can get after you for that.

If you keep your chickens in an area that is unfenced it is a disaster waiting to happen. What I recommend is that you put up a run for them using some chicken wire (make sure to cover the top because of creatures of the sky) other than that put out a trap with something that animals like (like fish or something) and wait till you catch an animal and drop it off in the next county :) .

I actually keep them free range and have not had a problem since now. Like I said, it is a big risk. I keep them in a coop at night that has windows with fencing on them, so they feel like they are in a jail. I also catch any animals that ENTERS the coop. But I don't always catch an animals that is not in it. The important thing to remember is, that there is always the risk of losing animals. You can minimize the risk however. Does anyone know where I can get aviary netting by the way? I need some to build a new coop. Thanks.