xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kakingho

English Language Question im hong kong student

1:  368,892,1232:  368,092,003

how to say these two great numbers??! :)
thx a lot
this will give me a big help on studying english :)

i will take this one1: three hundred sixty-eight million, eight hundred ninty-two thousand, one hundred twenty-three.2: three hundred sixty-eight million, ninty-two thousand, threehopefully that should help and it does, but you could get better resources searching the net about math in english.

i will take this one

1: three hundred sixty-eight million, eight hundred ninty-two thousand, one hundred twenty-three.

2: three hundred sixty-eight million, ninty-two thousand, three

hopefully that should help and it does, but you could get better resources searching the net about math in english.

183501[/snapback]

no need to add "and" ??!

three hundred and sixty-eight million and eight hundred and ninty-two thousand and one hundred and twenty-three.

It really depends on what type of english langauge you're learning (the american version or the proper british one :) ). If colour looks more correct than color or you recognize pavement instead of sidewalk then you should use this instead:

1] three hundred and sixty-eight million, eight hundred and ninty-two thousand, one hundred and twenty-three.

2] three hundred and sixty-eight million, ninty-two thousand and three

Notice the only difference is that I placed and in a few times in. Hate to bother you with the technicalities.

If in doubt, use saint-michael's version.

Notice from cmatcmextra:
Moving from General Talk

proper british english bah, no wonder we beat you guys back in the revolutionary war. :lol

ok so i forgot the and's, plus i was giving him some credit on where to put pause in the whole thing.

1: three hundred sixty-eight million, eight hundred and ninty-two thousand, one hundred and twenty-three.
2: three hundred sixty-eight million, ninty-two thousand, and three

plus that is another way to say it since you don't really need the and in the first group of numbers. :)

but since hong kong has british minds behind it you could go with that one. :)

yesh........ i think i'm learning british :) then i also want to know is it need to add "and" after million/thousand/hundred???!! :)

Red represents something incorrect

Green respresents something correct

yesh........ i think i'm learning british :)

See some people do still learn the good, correct version of english :D

Add ands after hundreds:

13 ==> wouldn't be one and three but thirteen

113 ==> would be one hundred and thirteen

103 ==> would be one hundred and three

And if all the hundreds have the value of 0, then you add and in before the tens and units:

1,000,003 ==>wouldn't be one million three

1,000,003 ==> would be one million and three

1,000,703 ==>wouldn't be one million and seven-hundred and three

1,000,703 ==> would be one million, seven-hundred and three

On the final example the hundreds column had a value of 1 or more so and was added after the hundreds instead of before.

I think that sums it up pretty well even though I got confused by the end of it :)

Isn't "and" supposed to be where there is a period? You cant say One-hundred and thirteen, unless it's like this 100.13, last i remembered.

I know that the only time a period is used when writing english numbers is to donate parts of a number. Eg:-- 100.13 represents 100 and 13 hunderdths-- 100.133 represents 100 and 133 thousandths Etc etc.

Hi its great that you have asked from help from Xistothe first answer to your question is...1= Three hundred sixty-eight million, eight hundred ninty-two thousand, one hundred twenty-three.368,892,1232= Three hundred sixty-eight million, ninty-two thousand, three368,092,009and you can get some help from translators or forums :)

amazing how this is become such a debate on how to use proper english when saying numbers,the british always confuse things when it comes to spelling and their own little slang words.but no you don't use the and when your dealing with decimals its like this 134.134one hundred thirty-four point one thirty-fourorone hundred thirty-four thousandths a "and" is not needed.

Isn't "and" supposed to be where there is a period? You cant say One-hundred and thirteen, unless it's like this 100.13, last i remembered.

183556[/snapback]

You are correct sir. You wouldn't add and before the last number. If you have a period, however, then things would be completely different.

12.09 = Twelve and nine-tenths. You can also say twelve point nine.

1209 = One thousand nine. Saying one thousand and nine doesn't make any sense.

So to sum it up, Michael is right (first try) and simply-me is also correct (except it's Three hundred sixty-eight million, ninty-two thousand, nine...not three :))

1209 = One thousand nine. Saying one thousand and nine doesn't make any sense.

That number is One thousand two hundred and nine... talk about irony. lol

Yes that's the correct way to speak, like Nguyen said.. (Just felt like seconding that)

Panda

12.09 = Twelve and nine-tenths. You can also say twelve point nine.

Correction: Twelve point nine would mean: 12.9 not 12.09

it kinda sounds like one of those tricks where they ask you, "Are You Smart" and when you say yes the ask you something like "Tell Me The Alphabet" then you say it:

A,B,C,D...SO ON...W,X,Y, AND Z

If you said and they will say "ha, your not smart andis not in the alphabet"

lol, I use to hear this when i was really small :)