xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
wild20

What Are You Willing To Give Out? How much info?

I was at another topic about 100webspace and it reminded me of onformation that some webhosting sites require, and decided to start this topic. I was going to post it in real life experiences, but decided it is not really an experience, more of, what you do. So, here goes. When signing up for hosting, the hoster often asks for info like your email and such. Now, I have seen many hosting sites ask for various info. Some for just a email, and others for phone numbers. I even saw one once that asked for social security! I want to know how much info you are willing to give out to get hosting. Just a zip and email maybe, or will you be willing to give out a phone number. Thanks for your responses in advanced,-Wild20

Well, I filled most of the optional fields too at Xisto, because I thrust them, but for some other host I just see for the first time, I wouldnt enter any personal info except whats really needed (email adres, username and stuff)

I only ever fill in fields marked as 'required' and nothing more, unless I trust the website. If a website is asking for personal information and they have marked it as required I have been known to email them and ask them what they want that info for, and most of them never reply.

well most of you wouldn't remember this hosting computer virtual-ave.net, one of the best hosting sites around back in the late 90's when i was starting out, and e-wrestling wrestling was a big thing as well, they required an address and a phone, the fools even called me one time, then i told them i wasn't interested blah blah blah.i think the only time you need to give out your info is when your going for paid hosting, and thats it, yeah i use my dummy email too and fake info just to see if their services are any good.

I use a yahoo email for signing up for anything. Then I have a seperate gmail for personal. I just want to let you guys know though, that somecompanies log your ip, and if the see you haven't put in valid information, they will contact you internet provider. So I don't do that because I don't want to lose my internet. Have you guys ever heard of anyone asking for your social security when getting hosting. I mentioned it above, but have any of you seen it? It is freaky. No one should ever ask for that. Keep it up guys :)

I think I wouldn't give out much more than my email address. If I see a hosting service (or anything else, for that matter) that asks for more than that (like mailing address, phone number, etc.), then I'd think twice before signing up.

I cant see no reason why I would NOT give my info away?! I alway fill in the required fields, and sometimes optional ones, but alway with real info. I mean, what can they do with my address, or my phone number?? Pay a visit, call me? They are free to do that (I'll just shut the door politely, and hang the phone the same way:) )

- Coming from someone with some time on his hands apparently :)Most of us don't like to be pestered with phone calls from advertisers. Especially if I'm not getting paid to listen to these guys ramble about whatever.Panda - Keeps his info on the DL. Unless it's required, never his SS # though. No security is encrypted enough for that, and I'm not giving it to anyone anyway..Panda

I guess the amount of info I give out depends on how much I trust the site. Normally I will only give my email address (which is a seperate junk mail address I use just to sign up for stuff), my first name, user name, and country. I will normally give my state too, since the states are so big there's no way anyone's going to find me just from my state.I would never give out my phone number, street address, or social security number. There is so much that people can find out about you just from this information. Trust me, they can do way more than just call you and pay you a visit. I've heard about people's houses getting broken into (I know someone this happened to!), and even people getting murdered because of info they gave out on the Internet. Probably not by people who run web hosts, but it still doesn't hurt to be careful. I've also seen sites asking for peoples credit card numbers for FREE hosting!!! There is no reason for free web hosts to ever ask for your credit card details!

I won't give out much information. Maybe a bit of my name and a sign up email. I usually use a fake address as well as a fake postal code. I don't want to be a victim of identity theft no matter what. Even if a site has high security I refuse to still give out any information over the internet.