xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
littleweseth

Kde Or Gnome - What's The Difference?

I want to download a Ubuntu linux ISO of some form, but before I go and suck 576mb through dialup (poor me :) ) i would really, really like to know what the difference between KDE and Gnome is so i can pick between Kubuntu and Ubuntu. I understand that they're both windowing systems, but have no idea of the differences.At the moment, KDE looks better, but Canonical (or the Ubuntu foundation, same diff) doesn't ship out free Kubuntu CD's - only Ubuntu ones. As i understand it, you can get the same effect by installing the KDE stuff on Ubuntu, but me bieng a dialup biy and all pulling all those tasty graphics through a straw might be a bit challenging.

well It hardly makes a diff. wheather you are using GNOME or KDE...I'll suggest you that you can ask for the CD's and that'll be the best.they both will provide you a Graphical User Interface and I've used both and did'nt find anything diff. So go ahead and ask for CD'S...why waste time and money on downloading something when you can get it for free?

plus you can do it the other way that i cannot say, but you risk youself to getting hacked and slashed for it contains who knows what since linux is open source software.

In my opinion, the costumized Gnome Desktop of Ubuntu is quite easier to use then the standard Gnome of e.g. Debian.If you only use Ubuntu, i think Gnome will be good an functional, but if you want to use other Linux Distributions (maybe on other pcs) it might be better to get familiar with kde.*greetings*

I suggest KDE oddly.I use SUSE linux, comes with both pre-installed, but I use KDE for some odd reason (first on the choices list.. I can just hit enter) KDE is more windows-like, so good for a 'newb' to Linux. However if you're not scared of linux, I'd say forget a GUI and work command-line style. Less distracting and faster loading.Panda

Being a linux user for a few months and having tried both KDE and Gnome I would say use gnome. IMO it has a much nicer look and feel to it. I personally use iceWM as it is much faster than either of the other 2. I will also throw in a shameless Debian plug in here for you. It is the distro I suggest going with, you can easily download the minimal install cd over dialup as it is much smaller than a full cd. From there during the install you will be asked what packages ie programs you would like to install, choose the ones that sound like things you would use, then debian does the remainder of the install via the internet. I did this for my parents and it took a few hours to get everything but their system has been up and running for a few months with no major issues.

thablkpanda : CLIs don't scare me. I've been using the terminal in OSX to do things like edit httpd/php config files in pico, (haven't figured out vim or emacs yet) restart httpd every five damned seconds and talk to mysql. Thing is, writing a word document in vim is a less-than-easy task - though i'm quite sure you could do it, if you really felt like it. :) I want to use Ubuntu for day-to-day stuff, so a GUI i need.mayank : Because why should I ask for something to be given to me at cost to Canonical (a non-profit, last time i checked) when i can download it for no cost to them? Thinking about it now, though, the bandwidth to push 600mb through an internet pipe problably costs more than a couple of plastic discs, and if i downloaded through dialup i'd problably use about $40 dollars of dialup time.saint_micheal : wtf? Linux is open source, but that doesn't mean that any Q Random Hacker can go around and just put nasty code straight into CVS. In any major project - and yes, Ubuntu is a major project - there are people who check every contribution before it gets merged into the codebase. I have as much chance of getting hacked or slashed on linux as i do on windows or osx. (well, less than windows, because less viruses and nasty exploits are targeted at desktop linux users.)mike_savioe : ah, i don't think so. My dialup sessions max out at 48k and drop after 3 hours, and the max i can pull is usually 50mb or so. Are you telling me that i can download 180mb of image, then get maybe 200mb over the internet? Nice advice though :): Well i've gone and ordered a couple of Ubuntu CD's (2 i386 - should have got a PPC one as well) and i'll see if Gnome cuts the mustard when the CD's arrive in a few weeks. Thanks, fellers.

If you don't want jde fancy eyecandy go for gnome. It loads a lot faster and Ubuntu customize it so that it's so easy to use. Kubuntu is a little bit of a mess. Some features are not availible and some message in Kubuntu refer to a program in Ubuntu not the Kubuntu program. Install Ubuntu, it's not that hard to learn GNOME. If you want to see the difference, you should pick up a large(i.e. Fedora) linux distro at your local store.(Which will contain both KDE and GHNOME)