xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Kim

Driving Tips To Increase Gasoline Efficiency how do I get more for my money?

You know that car that gets passed and cut in front of by other cars on the highway? That car may be going 55 mph while other cars go 65 mph not because the driver is afraid of getting a ticket, but because it's one way to increase fuel efficiency: http://www.cartalk.com/content/eco-area-4

I was that driver today and it was really HARD. With every other car zooming past me I felt like I was crawling, but it felt good knowing I saved some money (I think). Does anyone else have other tips for driving more efficiently?

Yes indeed, we all need good tips on driving more effeciently!!One thing I know of, is to keep a steady foot on the gas pedal.. Meaning once you are at the speed you want to drive at, try to find the the right amount of gas to keep you at that speed, without having to release the pedal often..An example of that would be stepping on the gas a little, then releasing, then step on gas again, then release again, etc.. that is an ineffecient way to maintain speed, so instead try to find the right spot and keep the gas there...One good trick for that is to use crusie-control whenever you can (if your car has it), since cruise-control maintains your speed without alot of play in the gas usage..Anyway, that's my tip, hope you guys have more!!

Good to know all this ways of driving and saving some gasoline. The prices are going up and up. I dont think there is any turning back. So, we will have to learn overselves to save fuel...More tips are welcome.

Check the pressure in your tires and make sure they are inflated to their proper PSI. Having well inflated tires will help. Also, remove any excess weight from your car. If you have some junk in the trunk, get it out. A lighter car means less to carry and haul around (compare it to carrying someone somewhere and not carrying someone somewhere, it'll take less energy if you don't carry anyone). Lastly, keep you tank filled constantly, don't let it get to empty. I have heard that as your gas tank gets increasingly empty, gas evaporates and is used more quickly, so keep the tank filled!!! (heard this as rumor, I don't know if actually true)Those are my tips, go and get em done!

It's hard to conserve fuel in the city, when there is a traffic light every few hundred meters. However, the less gear shifts, the less fuel consumption. Now, this doesn't mean you go on driving in the first gear, that would suck all the juice out of the reservoir, plus, you'll be crawling :(The best way is to see the cars handbook/manual, and see on wich rpm, the fuel consmption is lowest, and the power generated is the highest, and try and keep your cars engine revolving at that rpm...As I said, this is difficult in the city, where you have to stop and go frequently, and slowdown, and speedup. But, on a highway, it's the best way to conserve fuel :DOh, and tip to the Americans :) driva a smaller car, with less engine volume :( so, for example my car has 757 cubic centimeters volume, and spends about 6 liters in the city (i'm hard on the gas pedal :()... So, just scrap those 3.0 liters + engines, and drive smaller car... Just a thought :)

These are all great tips. Thankfully, where I live right now I don't need a car, but I really feel for the people who do, and I hate bumming rides because I know how expensive gas is. :) It's about $3.60 where I live. What about everyone else?

gete a car that uses less gas per mileage can help...i neve knew those other tips besides the cruise control one, i may have to try that now snce gas prices are getting ridiculous