xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Tseng

Pointers On A Tactics Game Im making one...

I was just finishing Final Fantasy Tactics and I was thinking of creating my own Tactics game. Then I went to my favorite Rpg Maker Community and check on the Maker Developments page. I read up on a new maker being developed with Ruby(a scripting system used in many applications but most popular in Rpg Maker XP). This is besides the point though. I am planning on making a Tactics type game(in similar style to that of FFT) and I need for your input on what things you like and dont like. What you are looking for in an Tactics RPG. I dont have anything but the story so far. Oh and a name: Sword Edge Samurai. Still just a working title but I really want to know how to make this game the best it can be.

a tactics game that is like FFT?hmm...that is quite cool..i hope you get to do it and do update us on what will be happeningin it ^__^id like to play it too~ :)

well here are som pointers to make a tactics game of that calibur.-story has to run smoothly into the battles (like conversations during the battle)-make it more of a strategy then just your basic point click slash.-give the battle field some depth so when a character moves it looks like they are going up a hill or down a hil through water and what not.- include several characters that hae both strengths and weakness so you can balance out your party the same with your monsters/ bosses.-do a minimal sides quest like gaining a few unique characters or gold or something like that.need any creative help look me up cuz also im known for making some sick looking names to weapons, and designs as well but thats to another game engine though. (nwn auroa engine)

i find the conversations and teh cutscenes an important part of the game..though i dont want too much of it..it would make the game a little nicer to play, since it would give the players something to read and learn about..and also make them think..if you plan to do side quests too..giving the players things to find and such..it would make it quite good too...as for the builds..yeah, unique ones with strength and weaknesses are a must..and giving the player the ability to choose some of the things he will be using in the battle would add spice to it..sicne its a tactics game,..i like seeing spells that look cool in the gameworld and so does skills, since the characters wont be doin that much movement...

Thanks for the input....I havent been on lately(as I have been working on a dot hack Rpg with RMXP) Actually these are good pointers. @Microsoft- There are many programs for making games, for Rpgs use Rpg Maker XP(simply the best) and the tactics game IM designing will be made with a new maker that a friend is developing.@Saint_Michael- If you could please pm me with some cool weapons, spell, summons, and character names. If you can. Thanks and keep on giving tips(I really need some)

Thats pretty cool- you making a tactics game. But the question is, Are you up to it? You're gonna have to slave on months and months of development due to a one man team. Tightening up the whole game is another thing you got to check. You should know alot of programming then before doing anything. Well have fun pulling your hair out, and screaming at your dog. (LOL)