xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
brawler

What Are Blogs? self-defined

I hear a lot about weblogs a.k.a - blogs, are they just like bulliten boards just worse? or is it just a place to drop a comment? If it is just that then it seems like quite a stupid idea to me.

I?d say they are places where one person (or a goup, but less often) writes his impressions about the things he want. Could be more informative, more opinative, more or less serious... sometimes it?s like a diary and people tells what happens in their lives. I prefer when they talk about more useful things like politics, literature, graphic design or something computer-related.They are too much in fashion right now but I don?t like them too much. In fact, the contents of most of them really suck. It?s not problem of the technology. They?re easy because there are lots of templates and I think that?s the reason why they?re often used by people who want to be on the Internet but don?t have any idea of what to do... and this leads to a horrible blog. Childish topics, more childish comments and that.They have evolved into fotologs (a.k.a. egologs) which tend to suck a lot more. :)

I used to think blogs are stupid, but once I get used to them they're great distracters because most of my friends keep a blog. It's a way for me to know what's going on in their lives without awkward conversations, etc...Hmm, I guess if they're really my friends I wouldn't mind talking to them. Oh well.

It depends on what the person wants to use it for. Many users use it as an online journal , while others make a comment on current issues, others still use to make a review of some strange food/drink they tried and venture forth to tell the whole world about it. The advantage of having weblog services is that is gives people a chance to make a personal website without having to dig through a lot of code. On the flip side, as somebody stated earlier, just as many people who use the service may not have a concrete purpose for the site - and these days, it's pretty much like if you've seen one personal blog site, you've seen them all.

Definition: A blog is information that is instantly published to a Web site. Blog scripting allows someone to automatically post information to a Web site. The information first goes to a blogger Web site. Then the information is automatically inserted into a template tailored for your Web site.

A short form for weblog, a personal journal published on the Web. Blogs frequently include philosophical reflections, opinions on the Internet and social issues, and provide a "log" of the author's favorite web links. Blogs are usually presented in journal style with a new entry each day.

For me blog putting is my thoughts online in a quick way.

I can't add much to the definition of a blog, but i have run accross some that really crack me up. The people sense of humor is so dry, they seem very personable and down to earth, like a good friend.

I don't make it a point to read blogs, but have come accross a number I like, most of which involve In-Vitro-Fertilization of all things. I ran accross them while searching for info about pregnancy (yes I am) Many women nowadays who are having a hard time getting pregnent have turned to invitro, but it is a long, hard and not always successful journey. And they write about all their joys & pain of that journey online for the world to read. Some of them are just heartbreaking.

For anyone interested here's a couple of them: http://www.alittlepregnant.com/alittlepregnant/
http://chezmiscarriage.blogs.com/
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

WARNING: These women talk about EVERYTHING! Not for the bashful.

--Jane

Blogs can just be the ramblings of people about what's going on in their lives or they can also be used for people publishing articles and these latter ones are a great way to keep up with what's going on in a particular area of interest.I have an interest in web design and a lot of sites devoted to this topic often have a blog with articles about new techniques or conferences or developments in technology.

yeah, i dunno why people bother reading blogs... most of them are so damn uninteresting - though I did see a good one, of Sir Ian McCallin (spelling?)... the guy who played Gandalf in Lord of the Rings.He kept a journal, online, of every single day of filming the three films.Pdrive

Most of the blogs are just a little improvment to the personal homepages that no one usually visited.Well, The blogs have somegood plus points:1. Blogs let writes write the way they like, no technical issues are there to stop them.2. Blog are also optimized for the search engines and usually follow w3c standards. So, It is a good way to improve your search engine ranking.3. Blogs are just what they are, Web-Log. They are just for the people who like it publishing there life story to the public.

yeah, i dunno why people bother reading blogs... most of them are so damn uninteresting - though I did see a good one, of Sir Ian McCallin (spelling?)

... the guy who played Gandalf in Lord of the Rings.

He kept a journal, online, of every single day of filming the three films.

Pdrive

182518[/snapback]

Really? could you post a link? Oh i think im mistaking him, i thought he was the one who played Saruman, but still, it would be interesting to take a look... Saruman is a good actor too, and he appeared recently in a power metal band called rhapsody, if some one knows about it.

I actually dont think that some ones got enough time to read some one elses life, but i had always liked the idea of having my own blog (never had done it... yet hehe), but not talking about every little thing i do, but something more general, something that could be interesting not only to me and those close to me, but to an open public. Or something more artistic describing my life in figurative sense (sentido figurado?).

I consider blogs as a modern diary, modern because you are not keeping it yourself but showing it to other people and of course through internet. A place to voice your concern on something, update yourself or your friends on what you are doing now, etc.

A blog is a type of small website.There are many different types of blogs, differing not only in the type of content, but also in the way that content is delivered or written.

I consider blogs as a modern diary, modern because you are not keeping it yourself but showing it to other people and of course through internet. A place to voice your concern on something, update yourself or your friends on what you are doing now, etc.

I've never really got on with the whole concept of blogs.. Of course, while they're used within a circle of close friends I can completely understand (even though talking to people about problems in your life probably has far more significance) their use. But I don't understand these people who advertise their blogs madly, when they're full of dull anecdotes and obscure in-jokes that only five of their closest 'buds' understand. Unless you're creating a developers blog, or you're setting out on an incredible round the world journey- I don't see the point in broadcasting incredibly mundane happenings across the world. It's like an average reality television contest, on his own, in a room, talking out loud (very loud indeed)..
Anyway, if you want to start one- go ahead. :angel:

Blog (web-logs) is an online journal. Some blogs, as mentioned by the people above, are full of ramblings and boring life story. Some are more serious like blogging about latest technology, gadget reviews, politics, religion, travel guides, etc.. And some uses it for advocacy - anti-corruption effort, women for ____, and more. Blog is a great technology. It's a freedom wall in the infinite world of the internet. And, of course, search engines love blogs. So if you plan on making a website, dedicate a small (or big) section of it for a blog and post site news and any updates of your site.