xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
unicornrose

How To Set Up A Fresh Water Aquarium! So you want to have fish.

So you want to have fish.

1.The very first thing you should do is look for more information on the internet or by going to the pet store and buying a book on the type of fish you want to get. Probably the most low maintenance fish you can get is a simple goldfish. But when it come to fish that need the water heated probably the easiest is the Molly. It will give you some idea what it is like to breed fish too.

2. The next thing you want to do after you have learned what your new fish needs and what things are a no-no is to decide what size tank you need. This all depends on how many fish you want, the type of fish and how much space you have for the fish tank. My recommendation for most people starting out is to get a 5 to 10 gallon tank at first and start with Goldfish.

3. Now that you have decided what size you will get you need to go to the pet store. YOU WILL NOT BE BUYING YOUR FISH TODAY! Sometimes you can find a fish tank with the filter and pump as part of the package. In a smaller tank you can use a pump that sits on the top of the fish tank edge and has a pipe that almost touches the bottom that pulls the water up and forces it though a filtered wall to catch all the bad gunk and stuff. After the water has been cleaned it is waterfalled into the tank again. This creates a current and aerates the tank. In some cases you will get a gravel filtrations system. In this case there is a part that goes on the bottom of the aquarium that a tube attaches to and the gravel will go on top of that. When the tube is attached then you also attached a filter to the tube and then some air tubing. The air tubing will then be attached to a air pump. This pump will blow air through the tubing and the charcoal in the the filter will filter out the impurities from the air. The pushing of the air will cause the water to be sucked into the gravel and forcing the gunk into the gravel and as far down as possible. The air will also put oxygen into the water.

4. After you have gotten the pump it is now time to buy a light for your aquarium. Most aquariums have light fixtures but you have to buy a light bulb for it. Somtimes the light bulb comes with it. It is always helpful though to have an extra light bulb handy when the other one burns out.

5. Now that you have the basic necessities for the working of the aquarium you can do a little fun shopping. Taking into consideration the color of your fish you should now pick out some aquarium gravel. Most gravel will tell you on the outside what size tank you can fill which each bag. It is more creative to use more than one color in your tank but it is your tank so you are free to do it one color if you like. Once you have done that then you can pick out plants and other aquarium decorations. Remember that your fish needs room to swim so don't buy too many things. Also if you are considering buying real plants remember that they need a plant light to grow and also may need a special pH to grow. You may have to wait until you get your fish before you buy your plants. If you are getting a fish that needs heat make sure you buy a heater and a thermometer.

6. Now that you have picked out your plants and your decorations you need to think about the basic necessity of all aquariums and that is water. When you fill your aquarium most likely you are going to be using tap water. Well most tap water is full of impurities. Well that means you need to add something to the water that will neutralize the impurites. I recommend STRESS COAT by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, Inc. If you can not find this brand ask your local pet store what brand they have for water conditioning. Another thing you need to consider buying for your fish tank is a bottle of bacteria. I don't remember what brand I use but it really does wonders for seasoning the tank and gives the fish a real chance at survival for that first week. The bacteria that you will add from that bottle helps keep the nitrates and the Chlorine down in your tank. You should now buy a bucket that has never been used. One to two gallon will do nicely. Keep this bucket for fish tank work only.

7. Once you have all the things above you take them home. Once again you have not purchased your fish yet. You see when you get a new fish tank you need to let it run for at least two weeks. If you have a freind who has and established healthy tank you can always get about 1/3 the water you need to fill the tank and then you only would have to run the tank for 1 week before you can buy your fish. Follow the instructions that come with all the products you have purchased on how to set up your tank. Be sure to rinse everything with hot water before you put it into the tank. This is especially important with the gravel. There tends to be lots of dust on the gravel. DO NOT USE SOAP! Soap will put chemicals into your tank that can kill the fish. Once you have rinced everything you can now put it all into the aquarium to your own personal taste.

8. Once that is done then it is time to add yoru water. Read the label from your water conditioner. It will tell you how much conditioner to add per gallon of water. Add that amount of conditioner to each bucket of water you need to fill your tank. After the tank is filled follow the instructions on the label of the bacteria and add that much to the tank. Sometimes when you are just starting the tank the instructions will advise you to add more bacteria in a few days. Then put your bottle in the fridge so that the bacteria will last longer. Now run your pumps and cycle the water for two weeks.

9. During that two weeks keep and eye on your equipment. Make sure that everything seems to be in working order. This two weeks is your chance to make sure that your equipment is good. Its better to find out now that you have a bad peice of equipment than when you have a fish in the tank.

10. Once the tank has been running for two weeks then you go back to the store and look at all the fish. You choose your fish and ask an employee to get it for you. What they will do usually is get a clear plastic bag and open it up and use a cup to fill the bag with water from the tank your fish is in. Then the employee will use a net to catch your fish. Speaking of which a net is good purchase for your aquarium too. The person will then put your fish into the bag. Then the person should add some air to the bag and close it up. Be very careful when handling the bag and try to make sure that you do not jostle it too much. After you have picked out your fish you should also pick up some food for the fish.

11. When you get your fish home set the bag in the water. DO NOT LET YOUR FISH INTO THE WATER YET! Wait 15 minutes to allow the water from the aquarium to adjust the temperature in the bag to reduce the fish's stress level when you do release it. So once the 15 minutes are up open up the bag carefully and try to turn the bag so that the water from the aquarium mixes with the water from the bag. Sometimes the fish will swim out on their own and sometimes you have to kind of gently take the bag away as they come out. Just be careful not to squish you fish in the bag. They can sufficate too. After this you can now enjoy your fish.

Notice from whyme:
unicornrose, as we've discussed in a private pm, i'm not sure if this can constitute as a tutorial. However, if there are no visible objections, then it is in my opinion that this tutorial can be considered valid.
Edited by whyme (see edit history)

thanks unicornrose for this tutorial. it would really help people who would like to set up an aquarium. I have a 70 g fishtank its beautiful but its a pain in the *bottom* to clean it even though i have some very good filters. Im planning to change from fresh water fishes to salt water fishes, but its more work right?

thanks unicornrose for this tutorial. it would really help people who would like to set up an aquarium. I have a 70 g fishtank its beautiful but its a pain in the *bottom* to clean it even though i have some very good filters. Im planning to change from fresh water fishes to salt water fishes, but its more work right?

182989[/snapback]

If you think fresh water is a pain in the *bottom* then you will definately hate working with salt water. It is really difficult to keep the pH and the salt content correct in a salt water tank. I do eventually want to have a 55 gallon tank with reef fishes. You have to keep a constant eye on the pH balance and not let the water evaporate out too much. Salt water fish tend to be alot more sensitive to changes in their water than fresh water.

Beth

hmmm this is a very interesting and unique tutorial, im glad you actually posted this, changes the atmosphere a little bit. good job unicorn hoepfully we can see more of your unqiue tutorials that put some new ideas on the forum, but remember watch the language we do have kids on this forum.

I find this tutorial very useful! I already got a fresh water aquarium. I had a "Carrasium Auratus" in it but it died :( . The tank had only 30 liters. Good work on posting the tutorial :P

hmmm this is a very interesting and unique tutorial, im glad you actually posted this, changes the atmosphere a little bit. good job unicorn hoepfully we can see more of your unqiue tutorials that put some new ideas on the forum, but remember watch the language we do have kids on this forum.

184200[/snapback]

You are right of course. I am usually better about that....I guess I was just having a strange sort of day. I will probably add some other ones later. :P

If I every buy fish I know what to read. Very in depth tutorial it must have taken forever to write.

184315[/snapback]

Yes it did. But I liked doing it. :P I am glad that you found it helpful.

I find this tutorial very useful! I already got a fresh water aquarium. I had a "Carrasium Auratus" in it but it died :P . The tank had only 30 liters. Good work on posting the tutorial :P

184358[/snapback]

Your so welcome I am glad that you found it helpful.

a real life tutorial xD haha i never really read those before, tutorials on the net were all about things you could do on the COMPUTER haha well i NEVER washed a fish tank by myself before, i had fish ever since i was in 4th i think LOL. well i helped.. like held the water hoe =P :P

you guys seem like you know a little bit about fish and fishtanks so im gonna ask you a question.I bought a 50 gallon fishtank for my girlfriend as a gift couple of months ago. The fish were happy in it (had 6 originally) but after that the fish tank darkened with what looked like algea. A few of the fish died during that time.2 weeks ago we decided to fix up the fishtank so i cleaned it real good, and added 3 more fish (total of 7 now). We have a bottom feeder and a snail as well. Someone told me that i got the algea because we kept the fishtank light on for too long so i now shut it off completely.In just a day, the fish tank was completely covered in that green stuff. Went back to the pet store and bought another fish (dont know what its called but it "sticks" to the glass) that cleaned up the glass pretty well.Since the first time that fish cleaned it up, he did nothing. I don't know how often they eat but its been close to a week and the fish tank is getting all fogged up again with the green stuff.Do i need a bigger filter ? different fish ? more/no lightning ? im even puting a solution i bought from the pet store to clear the water (one spoon a week).Please help :)Thanks!

you guys seem like you know a little bit about fish and fishtanks so im gonna ask you a question.
I bought a 50 gallon fishtank for my girlfriend as a gift couple of months ago. The fish were happy in it (had 6 originally) but after that the fish tank darkened with what looked like algea. A few of the fish died during that time.

2 weeks ago we decided to fix up the fishtank so i cleaned it real good, and added 3 more fish (total of 7 now). We have a bottom feeder and a snail as well. Someone told me that i got the algea because we kept the fishtank light on for too long so i now shut it off completely.

In just a day, the fish tank was completely covered in that green stuff. Went back to the pet store and bought another fish (dont know what its called but it "sticks" to the glass) that cleaned up the glass pretty well.

Since the first time that fish cleaned it up, he did nothing. I don't know how often they eat but its been close to a week and the fish tank is getting all fogged up again with the green stuff.

Do i need a bigger filter ? different fish ? more/no lightning ? im even puting a solution i bought from the pet store to clear the water (one spoon a week).

Please help :angry:

Thanks!

First of all the light might be part of the problem but its not the whole problem. When you purchased the light did you check to see if it was a plant growing light. There are differant sorts of lights. Its good to turn off the light during the night when you are sleeping. Also is your fish tank anywhere near a window? If you are near the window and if the sun ever gets into your fish tank that will cause algae plumes to form. Also over feeding will also do that. How often are you cleaning your tank? You should be cleaning it technically at least every two weeks. I can let mine go for up to a month or two without fish loss. When you clean your tank how thourgh are you. Its not good to completely clean the tank. You should use the special aquarium vacum tubes to make water changes and to clean out the bottom. However you should never ever completely clean the rocks unless you are putting new ones in... You see in a good fish tank there is good bacterias that live in the rocks below that help yoru fish tank and your fish. You can buy those bacteria in the store to help keep your water good. Also when you do water changes or add water are you treating your water. I hope so cause its got stuff that will hurt the fish. I would suggest making sure that you are changing the filters every two weeks at least and cleaning them off once a week. The stuff you are putting in your tank to clear the tank causes the little particles that are clouding the tank to gather into bigger particles that the filters can catch. I wil warn you about the snail that you will find you will have more than one very soon. Snails reproduce fairly quickly. LOL I got snails because I bought live plants. They laid their eggs in the soil the plants came in then they ate my plants lol. All well you live and learn. So now I have qute a few snails. They don't get very big and when my tank gets really messy there are alot of them. Then I clean it and they go down the drain. They are good for the tank to a certain extent though so I won't get rid of them completely. Not sure I could if I wanted to anyway. I would suggest looking for algae killer in the store that won't hurt your snail. MOst of them will. I would suggest doing a 75% water change with suctioning alot of the garbage from the bottom of the tank. I also would use a algae cleaning sponge on the sides of the tank. Clean out your filters real good too. If you have decorations I would clean those up too. That should help your algae problem.

So you want to have fish.

7. Once you have all the things above you take them home. Once again you have not purchased your fish yet. You see when you get a new fish tank you need to let it run for at least two weeks. If you have a freind who has and established healthy tank you can always get about 1/3 the water you need to fill the tank and then you only would have to run the tank for 1 week before you can buy your fish. Follow the instructions that come with all the products you have purchased on how to set up your tank. Be sure to rinse everything with hot water before you put it into the tank. This is especially important with the gravel. There tends to be lots of dust on the gravel. DO NOT USE SOAP! Soap will put chemicals into your tank that can kill the fish. Once you have rinced everything you can now put it all into the aquarium to your own personal taste.

8. Once that is done then it is time to add yoru water. Read the label from your water conditioner. It will tell you how much conditioner to add per gallon of water. Add that amount of conditioner to each bucket of water you need to fill your tank. After the tank is filled follow the instructions on the label of the bacteria and add that much to the tank. Sometimes when you are just starting the tank the instructions will advise you to add more bacteria in a few days. Then put your bottle in the fridge so that the bacteria will last longer. Now run your pumps and cycle the water for two weeks.

i have a problem with 7 and 8. i do agree not to add fish right away but that is ONLY because you need to let the chemicals in the water disipate which takes 1 week. after that, it is safe to add fish. BUT! when you add fish, add the least expensive ones at first(i suggest 2-3 guppies NOT goldfish) because they create a natural toxin that kills fish and only the hardy ones will survive. after adding 2-3 fish, i wait about 1 month until the tank "cycles" all the deadly natural chemicals turn to nitrates(which wont kill your fish) AND your gravel is now a natural filter which should NOT be touched as much as the last post suggested since it is a natural filter and the nitrates eat up the deadly natural chemicals like nitrites. i suggest 25% water changes every week along with the surface of the gravel(don't dig deep in to it). clean the filter and check the chemical balance of your water once a month. no need to add water conditioner. the better way is to get a 5 gallog sparklets bottle full of water that sits a week before you add it to your tank for the water change. buy fish that seem to thrive in the same type of water condions i.e. hard/alkaline/soft/acidic etc...

for the person who had the algae problem. your fish are healthy. sounds like your tank is by a window. buy a pleco and a couple cories. snails are fine but if have more than 5 on your glass, squish 'm with your finger. snails will pollute your tank as they are VERY prolific! if you are like me, you want to turn the light off all during the day and turn it on right before bed.

for someone with a fresh water tank, i HIGHLY recomend buying 3 clown loaches(never just 1). they are facinating boogers with the most personality. i would also suggest kooli loaches(3 again that look like worms). the clown loaches like to come out at night and play. don't get frightened if you think one died or disapeared, it's probably hiding somewhere you didn't think to look. they hide VERY WELL but fun to watch when they are out playing and swimming around. another good fish is a betta. they are bubble nest builders and very interesting to watch when they are making their nest. watch out for the fin nipping by other fish though. dwarf african frogs(2-3) are a nice addition too. they have their own unique personality. for the beginner, i would suggest guppies/mollies/platties/swordtails which are ALL live bearing fish and ALL of them are easy to distiguish the sex. nothing more fun that to see baby fishies swimmin' around your tank :angry: but make sure you have lots of fake or live plants for them to hide or they will be fish food for the bigger fish :D

a smaller tank will need more attention thank a bigger tank(10 gallon vs. 60 gallon)

the feedings should be twice a day and feed them enough so they feed for a minute and a half. ALSO! if you want your fish to be REALLY happy, then feed them frozen or live foods. any food that gets uneaten and at the bottom of your tank, just leave there for your weekly top gravel cleaning(as long as your tank has cycled and running over a couple months already). if your tank hasn't been running at least a month, i would clean the excess food daily. they will cause toxins in your tank that will also kill your fish. fish waste will kill your fish in the first month and the secretions from their bodies create chemicals that will kill your fish within the first month.....ESPECIALLY if you have a small tank.

NEVER start a tank with lots of fish. 5 at the most and wait a month.....if you have a 10 gallon tank, this refers to you the most!

salt water is different and more expensive but fresh water is fun. when you get experienced, you can start trying to create the right environments to breed the egg laying fish like jack depsy's and gouramies(my favorites...and the bettas). don't ever keep two male bettas in the same tank though.

ok. that's it. any questions, ask :angry: this is one of my hobbies and has been for years

Need help--dying fishHow To Set Up A Fresh Water Aquarium!

Hello,

I* brought my guppies that I brought in from home--very low maintenance---switched to a new tank 10 gallon--I'm now realizing I made several mistakes and need all of your guidance to help correct the scenario I am going on...

Initially I treated the tap water with the chlor out--and waited a day and 1/2 to add the fish..Then after a weeki got excited and bought new fancy guppies and a snail plus 2 zebra fish.  By the time everything was said and done  I had about twenty fish---6-7 adult guppies 4 zebra and 1 snail..  I now have about six or seven guppies, 2 zebra fish and  1 snail with 4-5 babies.

Fish were dying at a ridiculus rate--last weekend I over fed tank--left the light on over the weekend for heat.  I had bought the ph meter--and the whole meter went solid green.  I then proceeded to change most if of the water added 2 gallons purified and 4 distilled--I used distilled water at home and no success soi FIGURED I would try what previously worked for me---it seems like when I leave things be they do better..  I have also rinsed out the filters, added ammonia treatment  and the phm  meter is the darkest green.

Help!  what does everyone out there suggest? I do love my fish and hate to lose any more than I have

thanks

Dina

-reply by Dina