xisto Community
Cain

How Easily Does Trap17 Go Over To My Own Domain? Im purchasing a domain and need help...

Hey, guys. I'm planning on purchasing a domain name for my game squad and I had a couple questions. Does the domain selling company ask me where I want the site from? Like does it ask where my site is otherwise hosted i.e. http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/? Or does it usually have you host up the files through their own ftp? I'm just not familiar with having my domain and that is why I'm asking these questions... Is it similar to a normal URL redirection like .tk? Or .cjb.net? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Domain names just point to your site, the domain hosting company probably askes you for nameservers, which will help your domain get to your webhosting... You can park or add on domains, parking means the website will go to the site you host at Xisto, addon would point to a directory inside your webhosting (So you can have multiple sites with addon domains)You can use normal redirection, but that wont add the special features like email adresses @yourdomain.ext, subdomains and stuff.

Agreed.I suggest you get your domain from a 'reputable' holder, such as verisign, go daddy, or yahoo. Reasons being that if you're not familiar with domain registration, you could be cheated out of features/etc. that you need, if register your domain with someone not as -trustworthy?-Panda

I guess I'm advocating Yahoo again. I am not an employee of Yahoo or receive compensation for passing out this information.

Yahoo is offering $1.99 per year up to 5 years. That's $9.95 for 5 years of domain of your choice. Good, right? Go to https://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/ for more details. It ends on September 20th, 1 minute before midnight.

Once you purchase a top level domain (like http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/'>http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/) almost all good domain seller will give you DNS control panel where you can point to your hosing. This is called the nameservice. Xisto's nameservice are:

ns1.trap17.com

ns2.trap17.com

And just wait about 24~72 hours for propagation and viola you are hooked! During this updating period you can do two things. 1) you can ask admins to change your account domain to your purchased domain. 2) you can park your purchased domain using your cPanel. The option 1 is much more favorable since when a visitor bookmarks your pages that are deep in, the bookmark's address will not be http://forums.xisto.com When you park a domain name to a subdomain this will happen.

Remember that when you request your domain name to be changed, it will cost 10~15 hosting credits for administrator's time.

And continue to do what you have been doing with FTP and cPanel. The process is identical whether you own your own domain or have a subdomain. The difference is it's all in the name...

Update: I'm sorry. Yahoo is no longer offering $1.99. Shoot! I should've taken advantage of it. Please refer to this link for $4.98 per year http://forums.xisto.com/topic/26966-yahoo-domain-199-per-year-com-org-all-top-level-domain/

Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)

Buffalohelp tell me if i understood you correctly, did you say when i request to have my domain changed i lose 10 points? If so why?

I have a few questions to add to this, so if 1) I register my own domain, and want to use it on my site, I must ask admin first? 2)If I do do this will my old domain ____.trap17.com still work? 3)Adding, or Parking, which one? 4)Will any subdomains I have defined still work? 5)Will email address I have defined work with my new domain, ie admin@____.trap17.com == admin@____.com?

did you say when i request to have my domain changed i lose 10 points? If so why?

I believe that one of the features of cpanel is the ability of you to do this yourself, however Xisto has turned it off, and inorder to activate you must ask the admin, consider the points you are erning like money, you are paying the admin for the ability to use a domain.

Remember ladies and gentlemen, don't shoot the messenger. :)

Buffalohelp tell me if i understood you correctly, did you say when i request to have my domain changed i lose 10 points? If so why?

182092[/snapback]

Yes, you lose 10 credits. Xisto also uses credit as some sort of cash bases. It takes bit of work for administrators to open your log and amend your request and reset the server to be properly propagated. In order to minimize the frequent changes to one person, the administrator set the cost of 10 hosting credits for any types of domain change. Of course this does not imply that you are the one who's going to change every other day--it's just set there to make sure that the change you request is genuine and sincere.

1) I register my own domain, and want to use it on my site, I must ask admin first?

No. You only make a request if you want your hosting to point directly at your domain name. This means, to simplify, when you have your hosting point directly to your domain, the status bar at the bottom of your browser will never show your subdomain's name. This is to prevent a visitor from bookmarking a wrong site. Again, this means lets say you were hosting with XYZ hosting and you found Xisto. You had subdomain with XYZ, so your address was name.XYZ.com. A visitor bookmarked your name.XYZ.com/folder/page.html. And when you moved to Xisto your subdomain was name.trap17.com and name.trap17.com/folder/page.html. Now the visitor who bookmarked your old site cannot see that page and might think that your site is gone for good. This is why people prefer to have TDL (top domain level) name to look professional and never lose bookmarked customers.

2)If I do do this will my old domain ____.trap17.com still work?

Yes if you want it to. Let's say you did not request for domain name change. If you point your domain name to Xisto's nameserver AND park the name of your domain to your Xisto subdomain, you can use them both.

3)Adding, or Parking, which one?

This too is your call, although with your question parking would be ideal only if you don't want to change your domain name. The reasons were explained with the question 1.

4)Will any subdomains I have defined still work?

It will not work when you change your domain name from Xisto subdomain to your TDL name. When you do change to TDL, you have to rename them, i.e. subname.TDL.com and fix all necessary links respectively

5)Will email address I have defined work with my new domain, ie admin@____.trap17.com == admin@____.com?

Yes as long as you do not change your domain name. But if you do, refer answer to your question 4. When you change your hosting to point to your domain name, your ___.trap17.com no longer exists. Therefore, any mail sent to ___.trap17.com will bounce back.

I would suggest to change to top domain level as your URL ONLY if your site can be moved and does not have huge followings or waiting for a critical data capture. Change only if all your members are willing to bookmark or learn the new URL and they are fine with that. Otherwise, I recommend parking your domain name to your Xisto's subdomain--you lose no one and no one will know you changed.

I believe that one of the features of cpanel is the ability of you to do this yourself, however Xisto has turned it off, and in order to activate you must ask the admin, consider the points you are erning like money, you are paying the admin for the ability to use a domain.

182097[/snapback]

You can use the auto mail catcher by setting it up through Email management system via cPanel. However this will only qualifies if you still have your Xisto's subdomain name. If you changed to your TDL, you will lose any incoming mail to your former ___.trap17.com.

Wow, okay, just one point of clarification, you probably mentioned it, but I missed it, if I park my domain, my old subdomain will still work, but If someone were to type in y domain (the TLD) would that be the address they see in the URI bar for the remainder of that session?

after you register the domain,you would loginto the domain cpanel,point a record to 69.50.188.18then bind the domain to your host in the cain.trap17.com/cpanel just click the addon domain or parked domain ,they all can do this.guangdian

Wow, okay, just one point of clarification, you probably mentioned it, but I missed it, if I park my domain, my old subdomain will still work, but If someone were to type in y domain (the TLD) would that be the address they see in the URI bar for the remainder of that session?

182172[/snapback]

Now someone will correct me if I'm wrong. I personally do not have the working experience with the redirect as of recently. When you purchase TLD (I've been typing it as TDL sorry) a good company you purchased from will have redirect feature. When you use that feature the URL will stay as https://www.eurodns.com/ and nothing more. But all your links should show up as http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ on the status bar (the little tool bar located at the bottom of your browser). When you park your domain you have to write a special script to keep your URL to show your TLD name otherwise, i.e. homepage --> yoursubdomain.yourName.trap17.com will show because you are going from one domain name to another. A good example of redirect is .co.nr domain names. I used to have one and pointed to geocities. Whenever I typed name.co.nr/fileName it was correspondent to my geocities.com/myName/fileName.

So if you have many subdomains in your cPanel and you would like to provide a direct link to let's say your forum by http://www.youdomainname.com/forum then a redirect option will be less troublesome.

I hope I have explained it well. Again, if I'm wrong someone will correct my post. Please feel free to keep posting your question, no matter how farfetched it may sound, okay? :)

Hi:It is pretty easy to hook up your domain name to the trap 17. It just was hard to figure out how to do it.The deal on yahoo sounds great! I paid $10 for 1 year of my domain name.It is much better to own your own name, than not to. That way, if you ever change servers, you don't lose all the links and bookmarks. For years, I used a free domain and free web space. When I finally got my own name, I had to let everybody know that I am no longer on the free server space, and that my name changed. Some people still have not changed their bookmarks and links. My recommendation, is if you are building a page, register your own name.Sunkist