xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
wild20

Preparing For An Emergency. Are you prepared, what you need to know.

eAfter Katrina, the Tsunami, and countless earthquakes that happen each year, I believe, now would be a good time to discuss this subject.

Buffalohelp said this could be moved to tutorials too, depending on the subject and content. You guys just move it to where you see fit. Thanks!

In an emergency, there are always things you wish you had, IF you would have been prepared. This is where I come in. I like being prepared for EVERYTHING. I have read countless books on all sorts of distasters. I will tell you all I have learned, and to the best of my knowledge, try to recall the bests ways to survive. I will discuss three different natural disaster and emergencies and than give some wilderness advice. Whether it is just a short hike, or camping, I always have a survival kit with the following things: Two knives, fishing line and several hooks, a magnesium block for shavings (You ignite the shavings with flint and it will burn even when wet and will start small tender), a mirror for signaling, a mini rain pancho, a solar blanket, a small first aid kit, a special cutting dveice that is a piece of wire that you pull back and forth for cutting trees and limbs, a candle, a compass, a water tight survival kit that can store extra matches, a survival kit that has a temp reading, and countless others that I store in ONE *BLEEP* pack. I believe you should always have something like this on hand. You can get all these supplies at wallmart or a sporting goods place for under forty dollars. In my backpack, I carry dried foods, enough to feed threepeople, 5 days, or 5 people three days. I also carry water filters and iodine tabs with taste removal to help in making water drinkable. I carry more knives and a saw for cutting twelve inch logs. I carry soap and rope, and special para-cord. It all halps in a survival situation. If every one had a kit like this, we would all be prepared. But this only covers what to have. Here is what to do.

I will discuss what to do in a hurricane first. It seems appropriate:

Before: Board up windows and doors, as well as other exits. If there is might be flooding, you should move your valuables up to the upstairs or even a attic if you can. Some place high. I was also reading that pets are not allowed at evacuation shelters, so lock them inside the house with food and water, or take them somewhere else safe. If you must stay, ride out the hurricane in a cellar, or other room with NO windows. I would also put enough food and water in this to last you and your family 3-4 days minimum. Okay, this is as much as I learned on this topic. Now to move onto the next phase,

During a hurricane: Of course, you will want to stay indoors. It reallu is quite simple, things that normally wouldn't go airborn, fly in a hurricane. If the power goes out Use either candles or flashlights to light your house. NEVER use a kerosene lantern, or propane lantern or stove. These emit carbon monoxide and will kill you! Also remember there is a lot of noise during a hurricane and never go outside when the "eye" passes over. This calm can last only a few minutes and you don't want to get caught outside when the other side hits.

A EARTHQUAKE:

Talk about serious. I m sure not many people alive remember the huge earhquake back in the early 1900s that rocked much of California. Most people were not prepared. So I will fill you in on earthquakes. Being prepared is simple, you should have most of the things that I mentioned above in a survival pack, plus these: Water. This is important because after a earthquake, there is usually no water. You should have a five gallon jug for each person. This will last you at least 2-3 days. You should also have warm clothing because after a severe earthquake, power will be out and you will most likely not have heat. Remember to never use propane or kerosene lanterns or heaters unless they specify that it is for indoor heating. You should also have a flashlight. And if there is a gas break in your home, it would be bad if you lit a match and the whole house is gone (It probably wouldn't happen though).

During: STAY CALM! As usual, take cover under a doorway or table. Stay away from glass, chimneys, and bookcases. If you are at schoolor an office building, get under a desk. And whatever you do, I would NOT suggest using an elevator. If you are outside, saty outside, but stay away from buildings. If one comes down, it WILL hurt. Same goes for stuff like power lines.

After: Help others, but do not go into buildings. Some may be unstable. Check gas lines and do not light matches. Be prepared for aftershocks. If you are walking around, bring something to protect you head with. Like a suitcase, or piece of board. Again, stay away from power lines.

FLOOD:

Be prepared: If you have a canoe, I would keep it someplace you can use it if there is going to be a heavy rain. It will be very useful to you. Fill bags with sand or get some. Keep canned food that doesn't have to be cooked. Pick a good place on high ground to get to in case of a flood and map the route. Again, if you know it is coming, move valuables upstairs.

During: It is pretty simple, don't enter the water if you don't have to and don't drive through flooded streets. Never cross a stream that is over your knees. If you are swept away in a flood, grab all the material you can find and hold on. Get to the nearest piece of land.

After: When you return home, don't flip the switches! The wiring may be bad and it would be bad to be fried. Also, don't drink water unless you know it is safe to drink. That about covers it.

WILDERNESS SURVIVAL:

There is nothing like getting caught in the woods. I have taken multiple classes on wolderness survival because I enjoy being out in the "bush". Shelter can be a tree or a shelter that you make out of branches. If you have the supplies above, you should have no problem surviving. Keep warm and if you have matches, use them. If you have to, fish in streams for food. Fish are generally safe to eat way out there. That about does it. I know th wilderness survival was a little small, ut there is so much to knwo, it would take 5 posts. So have a great day guys.

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Moving post from General Talk to Life Talk > Real Life Experiences
Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)

Excellent work. Should be a tutorial IMO. But I like it none the less.

... but stay away from buildings. If one comes down, it WILL hurt ...

That's my favorite part :) lmao.

Mr. Panda congratulates you and appreciates your willingness to help, he also plans to purchase said survival kits' items very soon. Like today.

hey, that "it _will_ hurt" is my sentence ... oh, ok, you've changed the spelling :) great work.Some additions:* To make matches somewhat waterproof, you can cover the heads or even all of the match in wax. Make sure you scrape it off before you try to use them, otherwise it will be hard to light it.* If you get a fire going, try to keep it burning. Most of the times it's easier to cut some more wood than lighting a new fire.* It might be handy to have a kerosene- or petroleum-run lighter and a small refill pack (a 125ml can is only slightly larger than a mobile phone from 4-5 years ago). More expensive than matches but very convenient.* Take your mobile phone with you but try to keep it switched off if you don't really need to make an emergency call. With everyone else trying to tell rescue teams where they are or give relatives a sign of life, the network will be somewhat near its limits, if it works at all.* If you can expext to spend more than a few hours away from your home, take a sleeping bag with you (it's possible to sleep outside without one but it's very comfortable to have one.)* USE YOUR BRAINS, if you have. Some things I have seen people trying (or attempted to do myself) are plain stupid.

Thanks brainless :) I actually forgot to mention that about matches, but I do cover them in wax. It is not needed if you have a water prrof container, but is a lifesaver if you only have a plastic bag, or nothing at all. Another thing I forgot to include to mention, but just now remembered, is if you are trying to attract rescuers attention:If you are trapped, don't yell umtil they are really close, it wastes tons of energy and oxygen, and it can literally cost you your life. If you are in the wilderness, you should build something that attracts the rescuers attention. One thing that is really popular among the stranded, is a fire. It works great if you have a lot of dry and wet wood. To start one, you just start a normal fire, and then pile on partially wet wood after it is going good. If it has been dry for a while and you are in the forest, dig under the moss or needles for wet or moist branches. You can also pull off living limbs too. Also, there are other things that also work well. A overturned boat, a bunch of rocks aranged to spell SOS or HELP, also work as a good way to let rescuers know you are out there. In a survival situation, it pays to be creative and use whatever you can to stay alive, and get rescued! If there are any other things I am forgeting, just mention it and I will research and dig up more info for you guys.