xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kservice

Wireless Problem?

Hi all,I am relatively new to the wireless world, but not to the networking world.We have some major issues at work inregards to our wireless. We are going from XP to 98. Now the internet is on the XP system, but I cannot access it off the 98. I do know that the wireless is working because I can access all the shared folders on both units.Today I looked at the utility folder for the wireless and we are only operating at 48% for a signal. Would this have something to do with not being able to access the internet? Please help, I have been setting up and repairing computers for a long time, but I am getting extremely frustrated with these two units.Thank you in advance. kservice

I noticed that you did not mention 98 being SE. With that assumption I think you should make sure that you have the proper driver installed. Sometimes your hardware specification may cause the whole system to not to utilize the network card to the fullest.When you said you are going from XP to 98, are you down grading the operating system or are you using XP as the internet gateway?If you setup a gateway network, make sure that your XP and 98 can at least share a file or a folder. You know the drill, the same workgroup name..etc. And give it another try. If both machines are wireless connection, bring your 98 machine to where XP machine is located. And see the signal strength. 48% is low. But you should at least have some kind of connection. The strength that most manufacture recommends is 75% or higher.

You said the internet connection is on the XP machine. Does this mean you are using the XP machine as an access point ( in other words just from wireless card to wireless card) in an adhoc network? If so you need to make sure in your wireless cards properties you specify an adhoc infustructure. Also if your internet connection is connected to the XP machine you have to turn on ICS. In your adaptor properties on the xp machine look for the option to share the connection. Otherwise you'll never get the 98 machine to surf. If you had the connection on the 98 machine before and moved it to the XP machine make sure you shut off ICS on the 98 machine. Could you please give us more info on your network setup?andrescasta

When it comes to wireless networks there is a lot to consider. Signal strength is directly affected by the antenna, card and surrounding space you are working in. For better reception you need an antenna with better gain (measured in dB), a card with a higher power output (measured in mW) and not too many walls in between the APs and the computers.Win98 is no good with WiFi so I dunno why you are switching...