xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
wassie

Symbol Burning photoshop

Oke this is my first tutorial, so be gentle ;).

The first part of my tutorial is based on an other tutorial:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

This is the first part from that website.

Start out by making a new document, at least 300x300, and size bigger than that is ok as well. Fill your background with black, and get out your brush tool. Use a soft round 17 px brush. Now to start the brushing. We'll be making a tree like figure, with multiple branches. Start from the bottom, and work your way up.

you should have something like this: Posted Image

Note, do brush a bit like the symbol you wanna burn.

Now, after you've done that, bring up color balance. Ctrl+B

You can use whatever seetings you like, but I used a firey type color.

Posted Image

After that, duplicate the original layer twice, so you have 3 layers.

Now, get out your smudge tool, and start smudging your background layer, with the smudge set on 75%.

Posted Image

Smudge each layer, with a reduced strength each time. You want to make it so there is only a small amount of the tree still intact, and everything else is smudged. After you finish smuding all 3 layers. Set all to lighten.

1. oke after this you have 3 layers, now merge them all with:

layer-> merge visible (or shift+ctrl+E)

2. Make a new layer and fill it with black. Use this layer as you background so put it all the way down your layer pallet.

3. Make a new layer and name it "Symbol". Press x so you have white as your collor. Now take your shape tool (or press U) Chose your symbol.

Posted Image

As you see i chose a heart.

So first what you do is. Put the symbol in your fire that it fits.

Posted Image

4. My symbol is a symbol where i want to cut things out of, in my case the middle part, this is the same as round. But This isn't nessesary if you dont want to do this, just continue with step 5.

Select your symbol by pressing the want tool (w) and press inside the symbol, now you will have your whole symbol selected.

go to Select->modify->contract. And put it to about 7 pixels.

Now press Delete to delete what you have selected.

Posted Image

5. Take your want tool (w) and select your symbol. Now go to your other layer with the flames, and press delete there. So now you deleted your symbol out of the fire.

Put your symbol layer between the background and the fire layer. You can now hide your symbol layer because you wont need it for a while.

6. Dublicate your fire layer 4 times. Lets call them fire 1, fire 2, fire 3, fire 4. From the buttom up.

7. Select layer "Fire 3" and pres Ctrl->U. Press colorize. And put your setting like this:

Posted Image

Take your wand tool (w) and select the outer part of the flames (the black) and then press delete, and deselect.

(i do that because due the colorizing the black became a bit red.)

8. Select layer "Fire 4" and set its blending mode to lighten.

9. Oke now select the smudge tool again (press R). And all the layers Fire 1 to Fire 4, you have to smudgje your symbol cut out. Note, Do smudge from the outside in with the symbol cut out.

Posted Image

10. Owke now go back to your Symbol layer. (make it visible if you hide it). Press rightclick on that layer and chose "Blending Options".

And add this to the inner glow:

Posted Image

The collor is just black. (#000000)

and add this for collor overlay:

Posted Image

The collor is red. (#FF0000)

Your done!

Posted Image

And maybe after a few tries and a bit of effect you can come up with this:

Posted Image

Edited by wassie (see edit history)

Woah.Excellent tutorial, I'll respond first if Buffalo won't ;).I'ma give this a shot right now, I'm sure it will work with other shapes also, and the burning effect in general will help me alot. Thanks again.Panda

I saw this picture when you sent a link to me. I liked it and I still like it a lot!I'm thrown back how you can take one method of creating an effect and take that to the next level. Nicely done. I especially like the background you have chosen for your "burning heart" lol. It's very biblical. Although I would have liked to see more of that "cracks" from the background. I think it says something about the burning heart.PS, it's a request: if you can make the second image in QUOTE no wider than 640 that would be great. It's throwing the whole forum format off.

not bad i would use the smudge tool to get rid of some of the solidness of the heart but not for a first tutorial.